Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiia everyone...!

Anyone who is joining this course (L100) this sep in manchester university? Well, i am getting quite nervous abt my results as, they gave me conditional offers of ABB...bt um so confused dat i mite end up wit BBB or even BBC...if so any chances of getting in?

and is the course heavily oversubscribed? If i do bad,,would they be lenient? I am getting too scared

Will calling them be of any help??

Please help if u have any suggestions
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Chances are very very slim. I had an offer on BA Econ in 2007, missed it by one grade and was not allowed on the course. I did however luckily manage to change course to BSc Management & IT which worked out much better in terms of what I was interested in. BA Econ is one of the most heavily oversubscribed courses at Manchester and will almost definitely not accept anyone who does not meet the requirements of the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    Hiia everyone...!

Anyone who is joining this course (L100) this sep in manchester university? Well, i am getting quite nervous abt my results as, they gave me conditional offers of ABB...bt um so confused dat i mite end up wit BBB or even BBC...if so any chances of getting in?

and is the course heavily oversubscribed? If i do bad,,would they be lenient? I am getting too scared

Will calling them be of any help??

Please help if u have any suggestions
    xx
    omg I'm in a very very similar position to you, after ******* up in one of my summer exams I think I will get ABD (need ABB). I doubt they are gonna let me in - just the thought of it makes me depressed - seriously. But I guess I will just have to put up with the fact I'm gonna get rejected. I don't want to drag you down but I dont think they will accept you either.
    Who knows though - Im hopefully wrong
    I noticed they have 'extra' places in Business Studies and Economics and also Economics and Sociology so I'm thinking they might give me an oppurtunity to take up that course but frankly I'm not so keen on it. I want to do L100 not L123ABC what ever the course code is.

edit: oh and yeah the course is very big , i read on wikipedia that the BAEcon society is the largest coursebased society in Manc uni so god knows how big the actually course is lol. Moreover, this year theres been a lot of stuff goin on in the news about how many people will find it difficult to get offers or get a place if they miss their grades because people are trying to ride out the recession by going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedlondoner)
    Chances are very very slim. I had an offer on BA Econ in 2007, missed it by one grade and was not allowed on the course. I did however luckily manage to change course to BSc Management & IT which worked out much better in terms of what I was interested in. BA Econ is one of the most heavily oversubscribed courses at Manchester and will almost definitely not accept anyone who does not meet the requirements of the offer.
    that doesnt so sound good.

What are you planning to do after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    omg!!!

really?? y y y? did it have to be dis year??!! i love eco!! i duno!! wats gonna happen!! bt um expecting an A in eco..to max a B..i jus hope dey take me!

though i toked to them..dey told me dat they are gonna take me if i manage BBB...i do have the BB...bt jsut waiting for my eco results dis august!!...

oh goddd!! wats gonna happen:O:O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    omg!!!

really?? y y y? did it have to be dis year??!! i love eco!! i duno!! wats gonna happen!! bt um expecting an A in eco..to max a B..i jus hope dey take me!

though i toked to them..dey told me dat they are gonna take me if i manage BBB...i do have the BB...bt jsut waiting for my eco results dis august!!...

oh goddd!! wats gonna happenO
    omgz0rs. talk1ng l1ke th1s 1s s0 muCh f8n. u r sooo kewl.

On a more serious note, it is a very competitive course and I got rejected, even though I have AAA. Not to scare you or anything, but hopefully you'll make the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    omgz0rs. talk1ng l1ke th1s 1s s0 muCh f8n. u r sooo kewl.

On a more serious note, it is a very competitive course and I got rejected, even though I have AAA. Not to scare you or anything, but hopefully you'll make the offer!

oh u applied in manchester fo BAEcon? *******...um in deep *****...dey rejected u inspite of AAA????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    oh u applied in manchester fo BAEcon? *******...um in deep *****...dey rejected u inspite of AAA????
    Yep. But the fact that you got an offer is a really good sign. Don't panic. Just be positive that you'll make the offer. What's your insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Yep. But the fact that you got an offer is a really good sign. Don't panic. Just be positive that you'll make the offer. What's your insurance?
    Sadly I wanted to stay in manchester as i have a house dere and olso an international student from Asia..so i just kept manchester metropolitan as my insurance, though i know its such a good university!...

um so confused...do you think if i fail to acheive ABB they will give me alternatives of joining to some other coursE??

which uni are you going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    Sadly I wanted to stay in manchester as i have a house dere and olso an international student from Asia..so i just kept manchester metropolitan as my insurance, though i know its such a good university!...

um so confused...do you think if i fail to acheive ABB they will give me alternatives of joining to some other coursE??

which uni are you going?
    They might, but I'm in no position to tell you that as I don't know. Sadly, you'll just have to wait and see.

If you read my signature, you'll see that I'm going to RHUL to read Management.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm..sorry dint realize that as um kinda new here

I am just hoping they will take me...lets see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    hey, my offer is AAB. Fingers Crossed on 20th Aug!

do u reckon I can get a transfer to BSc Econ after my results?? apparently BSc course is more respected than BA course. but i guess i would be happy with BA, you see, I want to go on to another uni for Masters Econ afterwards- which one do you think would be better for the MA?

can someone give more info about the econ society? what kind of things do they do in it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    hey, my offer is AAB. Fingers Crossed on 20th Aug!

do u reckon I can get a transfer to BSc Econ after my results?? apparently BSc course is more respected than BA course. but i guess i would be happy with BA, you see, I want to go on to another uni for Masters Econ afterwards- which one do you think would be better for the MA?

can someone give more info about the econ society? what kind of things do they do in it??

yea,,,u can easily transfer to Bsc econ..i knw frnd hu studied in Bsc and later transferred to BA econ. I knw that Bsc is good if u want to pursue ir career as an economist...bt the advantage of BA is u have more options as you can studyother social studies course. Bsc is a more quantitative course while BA is more qualitative..u have more mathematics in Bsc,alooot more.

so yea u can transfer if i want to later but i shud recommend u to stay in BA as you would get many options and choices. Also, if ur in the UK try to go to some really good univeristy fo MA, afterall its a ,master degree course..try London School of Economics or Bristol or UCL..u knw the top ones.

lets see what happens on 20th!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    yea,,,u can easily transfer to Bsc econ..i knw frnd hu studied in Bsc and later transferred to BA econ. I knw that Bsc is good if u want to pursue ir career as an economist...bt the advantage of BA is u have more options as you can studyother social studies course. Bsc is a more quantitative course while BA is more qualitative..u have more mathematics in Bsc,alooot more.

so yea u can transfer if i want to later but i shud recommend u to stay in BA as you would get many options and choices. Also, if ur in the UK try to go to some really good univeristy fo MA, afterall its a ,master degree course..try London School of Economics or Bristol or UCL..u knw the top ones.

lets see what happens on 20th!:confused:
    The Macroeconomic and Microeconomic modules on the BA Econ are the same as the ones on the BSc so expect a high levels of mathematics , the only different between the BA and BSc is that BSc has compulsary maths modules while these are made optional in the BA. The BA and BSc are distinguised by flexibility not the mathematics in both. Also the OP can't switch in the BSc unless he has AAB at A level and has done A level Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforev)
    The Macroeconomic and Microeconomic modules on the BA Econ are the same as the ones on the BSc so expect a high levels of mathematics , the only different between the BA and BSc is that BSc has compulsary maths modules while these are made optional in the BA. The BA and BSc are distinguised by flexibility not the mathematics in both. Also the OP can't switch in the BSc unless he has AAB at A level and has done A level Mathematics.
    but the real problem is whether there are spaces available in BSc course. I heard that there are only about 45 places compared to a lot more in BA...

do you reckon some ppl with a BSc offer would drop out after the results? i have a friend who has BCs offer and is considering an IBM internship so may defer. do you reckon there will be a lot of ppl doing this as well? and would there be lots of ppl like me, who wants to change from BA to BSc??

I have A2 maths and AS further maths. what do you think my chances of changing are??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I cant really say you just have to wait and see , i knw you can switch after the first year into the BSc so dont loose all hopes. With A2 maths and AS further maths you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforev)
    I cant really say you just have to wait and see , i knw you can switch after the first year into the BSc so dont loose all hopes. With A2 maths and AS further maths you should be fine.
    Really.. I might be able to do that then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSplashx)
    Really.. I might be able to do that then.
    are you at Manchester already? or thinkng of changing to BSc like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    are you at Manchester already? or thinkng of changing to BSc like me?
    I start Manchester this September. And I didn't realise they had a BSc and BA. Got ABB, so lost all hope of getting on the BSc. But I'm planning on doing the more mathematical modules anyhow. But if there is a chance of switching later on, I'll try and take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSplashx)
    I start Manchester this September. And I didn't realise they had a BSc and BA. Got ABB, so lost all hope of getting on the BSc. But I'm planning on doing the more mathematical modules anyhow. But if there is a chance of switching later on, I'll try and take it.
    Its best not think about the BA and BSc thing , doing more mathmatical modules is the smart move.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2009

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.