Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The BAecon course for Manc next year is heavily over subscribed so you miss your grade they will probably not be to kind I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    omgz0rs. talk1ng l1ke th1s 1s s0 muCh f8n. u r sooo kewl.

On a more serious note, it is a very competitive course and I got rejected, even though I have AAA. Not to scare you or anything, but hopefully you'll make the offer!
    how come you got rejected with AAA - what was the offer?
    edit: Oh wait judging by the other posts in the thread - I guessing you didnt get the offer in the first place, still though, I thought Manchester were quite 'friendly' with giving out offers. Did you resit the year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSplashx)
    I start Manchester this September. And I didn't realise they had a BSc and BA. Got ABB, so lost all hope of getting on the BSc. But I'm planning on doing the more mathematical modules anyhow. But if there is a chance of switching later on, I'll try and take it.
    how is the course? and the lectures? i read in the newsletter that econ students complained particularly about the amount of ppl in the tutorials... do you lack support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    how is the course? and the lectures? i read in the newsletter that econ students complained particularly about the amount of ppl in the tutorials... do you lack support?
    I'll let you know once I start. I'm still on my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSplashx)
    I'll let you know once I start. I'm still on my gap year.
    lol, sorry i misread your previous comment, thinking you said you've started sept 2008

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforev)
    The Macroeconomic and Microeconomic modules on the BA Econ are the same as the ones on the BSc so expect a high levels of mathematics , the only different between the BA and BSc is that BSc has compulsary maths modules while these are made optional in the BA. The BA and BSc are distinguised by flexibility not the mathematics in both. Also the OP can't switch in the BSc unless he has AAB at A level and has done A level Mathematics.
    Do you know if we need to do any preliminary reading this summer before we start??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    that doesnt so sound good.

What are you planning to do after you graduate?
    Have no idea especially in light of recent times - probably gonna go travelling indefinitely!

San, the fact that you are an international student might work in your favour since you are ultimately paying a lot more and bringing more money into the uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    some of the tutors are post grads, and they are awful at teaching. But the majority are excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solid_545)
    some of the tutors are post grads, and they are awful at teaching. But the majority are excellent
    Are you studying economics and manchester currently ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedlondoner)
    Have no idea especially in light of recent times - probably gonna go travelling indefinitely!

San, the fact that you are an international student might work in your favour since you are ultimately paying a lot more and bringing more money into the uni!

yea lets see what happens...jus kipping my fingers crossed till 2oth! which is not so far away!!

r u in the same course? BAEcon?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I may be applying for this course if i miss my grades for law. Is the standard offer abb? Is economics a requirement? I've done it but may have got a b, would that put me at a disdavanatge?? I'd be so grateful for a reply, thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoseReina)
    Hey, I may be applying for this course if i miss my grades for law. Is the standard offer abb? Is economics a requirement? I've done it but may have got a b, would that put me at a disdavanatge?? I'd be so grateful for a reply, thankyou.
    ABB is what the prospectus says, but my offer is AAB. I dnt think econ is a requirement, but Maths is essential. are you thinking of applying next year? cos i dnt think Econ at manchester is going to be in clearing... such a competitive course.

ReputationRep:
    Good evening, ladz I confirmed my attendance at this course (BAEcon L100) a few days ago. So we'll meet in Manchester soon I would like someone to post a list of oak house courts or give me some additional info about this house.
    P.S. I'm international one from Lithuania.

ReputationRep:
    ABB is what the prospectus says, but my offer is AAB. I dnt think econ is a requirement, but Maths is essential. are you thinking of applying next year? cos i dnt think Econ at manchester is going to be in clearing... such a competitive course.
    Yea applying next year possibly. Maths is a requirement? Are you on the BSc course though? I think the BA doesn't require it at A Level...

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying economics and manchester currently ?
    yes..second yr now

ReputationRep:
    yes..second yr now
    I see didnt want to bother you but just wanted to know some things generallly about the course like is it hard, how mathematical is it ? , how was the first year in terms of workload and rigour and so on if that was ok with you as am hoping to take economics at manchester if i get the required results.

ReputationRep:
    I see didnt want to bother you but just wanted to know some things generallly about the course like is it hard, how mathematical is it ? , how was the first year in terms of workload and rigour and so on if that was ok with you as am hoping to take economics at manchester if i get the required results.
    hey just wondering, whats your insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    Kent

ReputationRep:
    no worries, basically if you did alevel maths, then yes the advanced maths module is solid, but its not hard to get 40% (which is the pass mark)...the whole year is a bit of a joke to be honest lol, not hard at all. we dossed about the whole year then on the last day we revised an passed. first year doesnt count so we didnt really work. Enjoy first year, but work hard second yr !!!

ReputationRep:
    no worries, basically if you did alevel maths, then yes the advanced maths module is solid, but its not hard to get 40% (which is the pass mark)...the whole year is a bit of a joke to be honest lol, not hard at all. we dossed about the whole year then on the last day we revised an passed. first year doesnt count so we didnt really work. Enjoy first year, but work hard second yr !!!
    Funny would have thought at manchester the first year would have been hard but your right it is only first year the hard work probaly wont start to happen till second year. How are the lectures and enviorment of the economics department and manchester in general ? thanks for all the heads up by the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.