Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This brings combat deaths to 15 in 10 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8145603.stm

Anyone here still think this is a conflict worth being involved in? I say pull out pronto.

ReputationRep:
    :sad:

ReputationRep:
    i think we need to stay there. the minute well pull out of afghanistan, the taliban and other extremists will gain power, which could make the risk of an attack on our own soil more likely.

i do think that we need to change the way we fight though. the rules of engagement are screwing us over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    :sad:
    Yeah it keeps getting worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    i think we need to stay there. the minute well pull out of afghanistan, the taliban and other extremists will gain power, which could make the risk of an attack on our own soil more likely
    But extremists are based in loads of countries...why not invade Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen under that pretense?

ReputationRep:
    Really? What the hell? Come on! :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    But extremists are based in loads of countries...why not invade Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen under that pretense?
    We had more of a reason with Afghanistan due to their direct links to terrorist attacks. I doubt anyone could have imagined the task being this difficult.

If we pull out now, we lose years of hard work and leave a country in even more turmoil than when we arrived.

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of Somalia, that doesn't really have a functioning government at all; those countries governments are pro-West.

ReputationRep:
    Pull out just because extremists have been quite successful in the last ten days?

If anything, that would serve simply as incentive for the future.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the soldiers, thousands of civilians have died since the war started there. I mean, for soldiers it's in their job description - the civilians haven't done anything to be in that situation, they just happen to be there. At least the soldiers get some sort of acknowledgement. The death of the civilians is much more shocking yet receives less coverage.

ReputationRep:
    because that would mean going to war with those countries. they aren't going to want bombs dropped on their country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    With the exception of Somalia, that doesn't really have a functioning government at all; those countries governments are pro-West.
    Iran, North Korea, Syria?

I see your point, the status quo can't continue though...a point that seems to be rarely discussed is the fact that nations like Germany and France despite having similar sized militaries to the British one are reluctant to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    What about the thousands of Iraqis/Afghan civilains that die everyday. No one ever mentions them. And anyway, I'm actually suprised that the death toll of British Soliders is so low, I mean they invade a country, I would have expected more deaths. But yeah, rest in peace.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as simple as just pulling out. We've been there so long that we now have obligations to lots of people.

The only war that I have ever thought was worth fighting was the Falklands, because I'm a bit patriotic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    It's not as simple as just pulling out. We've been there so long that we now have obligations to lots of people.

The only war that I have ever thought was worth fighting was the Falklands, because I'm a bit patriotic
    You mean in the post WW2 period?

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a sacastic post... it happens every day now.
    It's no biggie and is made too newsworthy..

ReputationRep:
    You mean in the post WW2 period?
    Yes

I don't know much about pre 1900s history, apart from what's in the Total War games lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I thought this was a sacastic post... it happens every day now.
    It's no biggie and is made too newsworthy..
    Why is it "no biggie"?

ReputationRep:
    Iran, North Korea, Syria?

I see your point, the status quo can't continue though...a point that seems to be rarely discussed is the fact that nations like Germany and France despite having similar sized militaries to the British one are reluctant to get involved.
    Those three countries are being isolated as much as possible. Going to war is a big step though and I don't think it would be beneficial to do so in those three cases. The fact is that we're in Afghanistan now; so all considerations need to first acknowledge that fact. I think intervening there was entirely justified given that the Tablian were sheltering terrorists and are absolutely brutal, medieval thugs (although I do concede the regime we have replaced it there is almost as bad in terms of women's rights and civil rights).

France and Germany are in NATO and have soldiers there I believe? The distinction was that they were unwilling to put themselves in the line of fire as much, supposedly due to disputes about the legality of actions.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it "no biggie"?
    To be blantly honest, the wars have lasted for more then 4 years.. and guess what happens? Soldiers die. Yup, men and women paid to risk their lives die. Every day. So, do I care where it happens and why (it's either a shooting or bomb)? No. Does it happen every day. Yes. Is it on the news every day. Yes.

I would be more interested in Iraq's politics tbh. It would be more varied too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.