Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    To be blantly honest, the wars have lasted for more then 4 years.. and guess what happens? Soldiers die. Yup, men and women paid to risk their lives die. Every day. So, do I care where it happens and why (it's either a shooting or bomb)? No. Does it happen every day. Yes. Is it on the news every day. Yes.

I would be more interested in Iraq's politics tbh. It would be more varied too.
    Usually it is just a 20 second news segment though. Imagine if 15 police officers had been shot this month.

ReputationRep:
    We should pull out when its safe in their country, and the fact that soldiers are dying goes to show its not. What would be the point in leaving now? We would have gained nothing their. They bad guys win and take control again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Usually it is just a 20 second news segment though. Imagine if 15 police officers had been shot this month.
    There's difference... it's a rare occurance... I would be shocked and wonder how many guns there are hidden in the uk now? Police aren't pay to risk their lives really, but protect the law. It would be big news. I mean, how could this happen?

Still boring though news though and doesn't change pattern.
    I have less sympathy because soldiers know they're at risk of death. Not police officers in a democratic country!

ReputationRep:
    Why is it "no biggie"?
    I disagree with you slightly on the fact that it causes suffering to the families of the soldiers... but over 19000 died on the first day of the Somme! Some people really need to get real!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geography-junkie)
    I disagree with you slightly on the fact that it causes suffering to the families of the soldiers... but over 19000 died on the first day of the Somme! Some people really need to get real!
    Or, to use a more topical example, the number of people that die each year as a result of poverty (theoretically preventable deaths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzypop)
    What about the thousands of Iraqis/Afghan civilains that die everyday. No one ever mentions them. And anyway, I'm actually suprised that the death toll of British Soliders is so low, I mean they invade a country, I would have expected more deaths. But yeah, rest in peace.
    Well for starters its not thousands every day, that is a gross over estimate and you know it.

The main reason civilian deaths are not big news is because they are not directly targeted by UK forces, infact if you and others like you (those who think of Afghan civilians first) looked into how much effort goes into protecting civilians you would see very quickly that British forces go to great lengths to protect the civilian population, and that British troops have died so that the risks to civialians are lessened.

ReputationRep:
    Police aren't pay to risk their lives really, but protect the law. It would be big news. I mean, how could this happen?

Still boring though news though and doesn't change pattern.
    I have less sympathy because soldiers know they're at risk of death. Not police officers in a democratic country!
    Soldiers are not paid to risk their lives, we are paid to protect the people and execute the will of UK Gov PLC, more or less exactly the same the police are.

I find it rather offensive that people ignore the deaths of our service personel just because we choose to put ourselves at risk, maybe you should appreciate the fact that someone has to do the job, and for many it is a sence of duty that make the final decision.

ReputationRep:
    To be blantly honest, the wars have lasted for more then 4 years.. and guess what happens? Soldiers die. Yup, men and women paid to risk their lives die. Every day. So, do I care where it happens and why (it's either a shooting or bomb)? No. Does it happen every day. Yes. Is it on the news every day. Yes.

I would be more interested in Iraq's politics tbh. It would be more varied too.
    In Afghanistan they didn't lost a soldier so nearly 3 years....

ReputationRep:
    This brings combat deaths to 15 in 10 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8145603.stm

Anyone here still think this is a conflict worth being involved in? I say pull out pronto.
    I say that government needs to stop wasting money left right and center on inefficient schemes and need to start funding out military!

ReputationRep:

Anyone here still think this is a conflict worth being involved in? I say pull out pronto.
    Pull out due to fifteen deaths? We aren't France or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Pull out due to fifteen deaths? We aren't France or something...
    But for what cause are they dying?

ReputationRep:
    In the hope of stopping things like 7/7

ReputationRep:
    To stop a country from once again descending into taliban rule. If the frontline is not there, against us, then it will be elsewhere, against others (pakistan would be the next logical target).

Also much better placed to limit heroin production, though not much seems to happen on that front.

ReputationRep:

Oh come on. Yes soldiers are dieing but we are on the offensive. Casualties are inevitable in war and always grow during an offensive.

We need to grow a backbone and send more troops into Afghan. It is a COIN operations and needs more infantry soldiers on the ground fighting.

ReputationRep:
    Pull out, prevent any more deaths. It's all well and good for people to come out with "we don't want the soldiers to have died in vain", but it's either that or expect more to follow them in a war which, let's face it, is futile anyway. Leave the Afghans to sort themselves out. If that means the Taliban then so be it. Britain should not be policing the world. Focus more on increasing home security internally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Pull out, prevent any more deaths. It's all well and good for people to come out with "we don't want the soldiers to have died in vain", but it's either that or expect more to follow them in a war which, let's face it, is futile anyway. Leave the Afghans to sort themselves out. If that means the Taliban then so be it. Britain should not be policing the world. Focus more on increasing home security internally.
    So you think that the human race shouldn't stand as one?

At home or at school, if you see an innocent person getting bullied, forced to live in a manner that is unfair, having their lives ruled by others who upset them; do you step in and say, "No. This is wrong. Stop!" or do you stand and watch and do nothing because it doesn't concern you?

I think it is a great thing that the world's powers with the capability to combat people who force others to live in suffering, employ that capability not only to rid the suffering of their pain, but also to train the local forces to combat the evil themselves.

We should not sit and watch others suffer because they are not on our own soil. The whole world should employ whatever strength they have available to rid the world of evil and suffering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugelr)
    So you think that the human race shouldn't stand as one?

At home or at school, if you see an innocent person getting bullied, forced to live in a manner that is unfair, having their lives ruled by others who upset them; do you step in and say, "No. This is wrong. Stop!" or do you stand and watch and do nothing because it doesn't concern you?

I think it is a great thing that the world's powers with the capability to combat people who force others to live in suffering, employ that capability not only to rid the suffering of their pain, but also to train the local forces to combat the evil themselves.

We should not sit and watch others suffer because they are not on our own soil. The whole world should employ whatever strength they have available to rid the world of evil and suffering.
    I wouldn't intervene in the bullying if it would result in a diminishment of my own well-being, and certainly wouldn't if it potentially threatened mine - or my friends' - lives. I don't believe in the international community anyway.

ReputationRep:
    People aren't the only ones who die in war. Soldiers, the ones with the guns fighting, are also known to sometimes die. Some people need to comprehend this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I wouldn't intervene in the bullying if it would result in a diminishment of my own well-being, and certainly wouldn't if it potentially threatened mine - or my friends' - lives. I don't believe in the international community anyway.
    So if you saw a 10 year old being beaten by two adults would would never on any account step in as there is always risk to yourself?

Sometimes the risk is worth the potential outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Britain shouldn't even have been there in the first place.

By violating international law and respect for sovereignity of nations, the 'can of worms' has been opened. Any strong enough military power with sufficient political and economic backing can do as they wish with smaller or weaker powers in conventional military terms.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.