Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pitbull/Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Watch

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake, the hype about pitbulls is ridiculous. It's caused by people who know nothing about the breed and rely on the media for updates.

Any dog can be dangerous if mistreated or untrained.
    The Dangerous Dogs Act aimed at certain breeds is awful. The breeds on the list can be dangerous, of course but just because they can be it doesn't mean they will be.

Pitbulls can be great dogs to have as pets if you get the breeding right. It's the same with any breed though. I do know though that they can turn quite unpredictable which means that they should never be left alone with another dog or a child.

I'm glad you enjoy your dog, I do think you need to sort out the bath issue though- make it a really fun thing for her. Put her in the bath and don't wash her, just throw treats in the bath. Do this a few times then when she does need a wash, either reward her yourself or have an assistant to help for letting you touch her back/legs/face etc.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has 3 Staffordshire bull terriers and they're so nice! I'm usually terrified of dogs, but they're really well behaved, and the oldest one follows you round, demanding to be stroked. She'd probably lick a burglar to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    No

But I wish I still was.

The world is far to confusing at 18!

Ahaha, even more so at 17!! Can drive but can't drink legally Wierrdddd

ReputationRep:
    Okay,as most of you guys seems to be really clued up on the matter,please tell me if my dogs is legal?
    I have got a cross between English Bull Terrier and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog.Very intelligent but ofcourse sometimes very sttuborn
    But that has been dealt with and he has been going to the classes learning agillity,obiedience etc.Very good pet and he has an international travel pet passport now as well.
    How can it then be possible that my dog could be mistaken for a"pit bull type"?
    He has been chipped and insured of course.Why should I have him wearing a muzzle when he is on the lead?I have hardly seen any dogs with muzzles on appart from my mate's pit bull and another dog a while ago.
    it's very confusing,whole of that legislaltion,especially that there are some other dangerous dogs about(if you trained then in this way,same as pits and staffs)like rottweillers,dobermans,german sheppards dogs and even some of the labradors I have seen,were agressive,so what is the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert Platz)
    Okay,as most of you guys seems to be really clued up on the matter,please tell me if my dogs is legal?
    I have got a cross between English Bull Terrier and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog.Very intelligent but ofcourse sometimes very sttuborn
    But that has been dealt with and he has been going to the classes learning agillity,obiedience etc.Very good pet and he has an international travel pet passport now as well.
    He has been chipped and insured of course.Why should I have him wearing a muzzle when he is on the lead?I have hardly seen any dogs with muzzles on appart from my mate's pit bull and another dog a while ago.
    it's very confusing,whole of that legislaltion,especially that there are some other dangerous dogs about(if you trained then in this way,same as pits and staffs)like rottweillers,dobermans,german sheppards dogs and even some of the labradors I have seen,were agressive,so what is the answer?
    They're really weird about 'pitbull type' dogs, but if you're absolutely sure that your dog doesn't have pitbull in him and you have proof then you should definitely be ok, a staffxbull terrier is perfectly legal. However, I have known a pitbull-looking stray to be put to sleep just because it looked like a pit even though it wasn't aggressive in the slightest. It's hard to say whether you could be questioned on it though, because if your dog looks like a pit, unknowledgable people may report it thinking it looks dangerous. Tall staffs have been reported as being pits... The thing is, unless your dog is aggressive towards people/other dogs and doesn't look too much like a pit you should be fine. Personally I haven't met a staff x bull terrier that looked particularly pitbull-like, and I wouldn't muzzle my dog even if it did look like one if I was sure it wasn't part pit.

That was really rambly, sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert Platz)
    The English Bull Terrier cross Staffordshire Bull Terrier is legal. Putting a muzzle on your dog would be pointless if he/she isn;t agressive towards other people/dogs. Depends how you have rasied it and how much control you have over it.

I personally have an american pitbull cross with bull mastiff. He is a very boisterous dog and can sometimes get carried away. He can put me (70kg) on the floor when he does get carried away. I need to leads on him when i take him out (but no muzzle). He would literally destroy an invader/other dogs as i have seen his attitude towards other dogs. Though he loves people and is very boisterous and wants to play 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    Dogs don't kill people, idiotic lazy owners do. All dogs at the end of the day are potentially dangerous, just like all humans and any other animal are potentially dangerous. Everything is born with wild instinct and urges. It's social conditioning and training that is important. A dog isn't going to know not to jump up at people and bite unless it is properly taught not to engage in such behaviour, much in the same way a child has to be taught that you can't hit other children when you want to get your own way.

The amount of people that think pitbulls are blood thirsty killers waiting for a chance to eat children is utterly ridiculous. Such people have probably never even seen a pitbull type dog let alone had the joy of spending time with one.

ReputationRep:
    Amen, fire2burn.

I know this is an OLD post. But just wanted to reiterate...
    You got your dog from a shelter, therefore it is not a pitbull cross as even a cross is illegal and would be destroyed.
    I dont agree with it, but thats the law :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.