Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    Loads of my home friends have gone their seperate ways as they have graduated or are graduating now.
    I have plans to to abroad next summer to volunteer or something and maybe work abroad when i'm older, but theres not much i can do right now :/ I work a few shifts a week in a shop aswell.
    *hugs*

What would you like to be doing ?

Why not volunteer locally or for an overseas project (via online), it might make you feel better if you're doing something meaningful with your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    Do you think it's perhaps the holidays that are bringing this on?

Holidays can be pretty boring for lots of people (including myself), and that can often cause people to feel unhappy, as if they are waking up with out purpose. Were you happy at university?
    I was really happy at university, lots of friends.
    I had my down days but everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    are you from that dodgy town in wales where peopel are dropping like flies due to suicide?
    Na thats a few hours away from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    *hugs*

What would you like to be doing ?

Why not volunteer locally or for an overseas project (via online), it might make you feel better if you're doing something meaningful with your time.
    I'd like to be back in uni to be honest. But I have to stay here in summer to earn money.
    *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    im almost sort of glad so many others are feeling how i do

ReputationRep:
    But yeah I feel exactly the same as well, I feel better as i've been trying to stay positive and going out

ReputationRep:
    It's always ****** to feel like this trust me I know, getting treatment helps alot and that doesn't even mean drugs. Just finding someone you can talk to that will listen help TREMENDOUSLY. Like everyone says look towards the future and keep you chin up that helps for sure. But try and occupy your time with someone that you will get a sense of accomplishment out of, building models, working, hell even exercise helps keep you going.

ReputationRep:
    i know that feeling too ... last summer was the worst for me. feels like you never get out of it, but truth is, at some point you do ... just try to get out of the house and do stuff, whatever it is. and at some point it usually gets better, but u need to get out of this spiral where you feel bad, then you think about feeling bad and it gets even worse ...
    good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    You sure thats not the rolyphol hun?
    spell it wrong less.

ReputationRep:
    Life just seems so pointless at the moment i don't even want to wake up anymore cos its just another meaningless day
    i've been trying so hard to keep up a happy face to everyone but i'm just cracking up inside
    i don't know what to do, no one knows how bad i feel, and i'm sure they'd just think i was over reacting to nothing.
    ;(
    Go out and do something, it'll make you feel better.
    meet up with friends, take up a new hobby, do something really silly and laugh, it'll make you feel happier with life. Go for a walk, get fresh air, do anything just don't sit and mope about OP, that's the worst thing to do. go shopping retail therapy is AMAZING, have a manicure/makeover. If none of this appeals you could always write down all your negative feelings and ban it all from your system, or watch a weepy and have a good cry and get it all out, that way you wont be bottling up your sadness
    If not, you can always have a chat to a friend, or phone someone.
    If all else fails PM someone on here

ReputationRep:
    who gave me rep?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be back in uni to be honest. But I have to stay here in summer to earn money.
    *hugs*
    Well looking at your posts it sounds like you have three things frustrating you:

1) You're missing your friends
    2) You're bored.
    3) You don't feel like your making any progress in your life

For the first, maybe you could visit your friends/have them visit you over the holidays, or if that's not possible talk with them online or on the phone.

For the second two why not pick a non-trivial goal for something to achieve over the holidays and work on it (learn a new language, lose weight, pick up a new skill, sport, etc.) ?

ReputationRep:
    Always look on the bright side

:grouphugs: - To all of those that are lonely and need a hug

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the rep, Gaz (I have a forum up for Duel of Steel and a couple of other game designs if you're interested in it - the banner in my sig now points there.)

To everyone: I found a good way of easing holiday boredom/cabin fever/sadness today. Get a decent pair of headphones (optional, but it helps), and take your MP3 player for a walk. I like wandering around cities, myself; I'm visiting Cardiff, the nearest city to where I live, about once a week, but I might vary that and stroll around the hills sometime. Cities have more to see and do and distract yourself with, though. Go by yourself, put on some good music (I heartily recommend Led Zeppelin if you like them - they make good summer music), walk around, buy some stuff, chat to random people in shops, maybe see a film, get a Subway, etc. Because you're by yourself there's no need to plan, make decisions or be particularly constrained in anything, and you can happily just wander from place to place. It's very relaxing and enjoyable.

Also, another good way to relax and distract oneself (this being at home): If you have the computer game download service Steam, you're set. If not, you might want to download it. Check out a game called Audiosurf. It's a beautiful, enthralling game that involves you flying a spaceship-thing down a long undulating track, collecting coloured blocks and trying to match them up in combos. Sounds pretty standard, but the awesome thing is that the track is generated from music. Give Audiosurf a song and it'll match the speed, gradient, and block placement to the accents and notes, creating a visually gorgeous rendering of it. It's a great way to chill out and listen to music, whether you're a gamer or not. The non-demo version costs about £6 I think, but I'd say it was well worth it. Peggle, a casual game that's vaguely related to pinball in the same way as a movie is related to a painting, is also about the same price and will swallow your soul amuse and delight you for considerable amounts of time. If you are a gamer, £6 will also get you my favourite FPS ever, Painkiller. Painkiller is the best method of stress relief I've ever found in my life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.