Dentistry
    34.41%
    Medicine
    52.69%
    Other (Please Specify)
    12.90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    If medicine was badly paid, far less people would do it. Most people I know are doing it partly for the money, but partly for other reasons
    I think most people acknowledge that the money is pretty bad and it takes a good number of years to work up to a level where it's good :o:

But I think my main point is that if you're clever enough (AAB minimum offer - unless mitigating circumstances etc) to get into medicine you are (generally) clever enough to do something that will earn you a lot more money a lot faster than medicine will ... for this reason I don't think (?) most people go into medicine for the money? Certainly no one I have met. I am very motivated to do medicine but also aware I could earn a lot more money a lot faster doing something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think most people acknowledge that the money is pretty bad and it takes a good number of years to work up to a level where it's good :o:

But I think my main point is that if you're clever enough (AAB minimum offer - unless mitigating circumstances etc) to get into medicine you are (generally) clever enough to do something that will earn you a lot more money a lot faster than medicine will ... for this reason I don't think (?) most people go into medicine for the money? Certainly no one I have met. I am very motivated to do medicine but also aware I could earn a lot more money a lot faster doing something else.
    Yes, you could earn more money doing something else. But medicine is very well paid, just not immediately, and it requires a lot of hard work. Saying other things pay better than medicine doesn't mean medicine is badly paid...

But medicine gives you lots of money, AND you can help people, do some good etc. So it combines both those desirable features of a job, making people want to do it.

If a job ONLY has money (eg, investment banker) or ONLY has helping people (social worker), less people will want to do it. (Those examples aren't great, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you could earn more money doing something else. But medicine is very well paid, just not immediately, and it requires a lot of hard work. Saying other things pay better than medicine doesn't mean medicine is badly paid...

But medicine gives you lots of money, AND you can help people, do some good etc. So it combines both those desirable features of a job, making people want to do it.

If a job ONLY has money (eg, investment banker) or ONLY has helping people (social worker), less people will want to do it. (Those examples aren't great, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.)
    Yup well explained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Yup well explained.

Well then surely money is one of the reasons you want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Well then surely money is one of the reasons you want to do medicine?
    No it's defintley not something I consider a reason for wanting to do medicine, got to admit I didn't even consider it at all (salary). I meant you explained yourself well and I got your point

ReputationRep:
    I cant decide!!
    I'm a first year dental student but practically everything we do is medicine, anyway the doctors that teach clinical skills keep saying how i should swap to medicine because i have a really good 'touch' for it..... problem is i don't know what to do now-i always thought i wanted to do dentistry, but the things we learn in medicine are so interesting and now they've put the idea in my head! to swap to medicine i would have to reapply, i wouldnt be able to just change from medicine to dentistry so it would be a hassle and a possible year out so i would definitely have to be sure about it-so i need some advice-stick with dentistry or move?
    and is dentistry really as boring as everyone makes out? or is it just medics trying to be superior?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.