Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the working hours I'm doing are legal.... well, not so much the hours as being paid for them. I work in a small shop, and we are paid for half an hour after we close, to do cleaning and so on. However, this almost always takes longer than the half an hour. Today, I was contracted to work from 8:30am to 8:30pm, with the shop closing at 8pm. However, I did not leave the shop until 9:25, with the last hour unpaid.
    Is this working unpaid legal? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for seeing wether it is or not- I googled working time regulations and whatnot, but can't find anything relevant. Just wondered if anyone knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    I'm not sure if the working hours I'm doing are legal.... well, not so much the hours as being paid for them. I work in a small shop, and we are paid for half an hour after we close, to do cleaning and so on. However, this almost always takes longer than the half an hour. Today, I was contracted to work from 8:30am to 8:30pm, with the shop closing at 8pm. However, I did not leave the shop until 9:25, with the last hour unpaid.
    Is this working unpaid legal? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for seeing wether it is or not- I googled working time regulations and whatnot, but can't find anything relevant. Just wondered if anyone knew.

I really dont think it is. If your only getting paid for half an hour, you should only be working half an hour. You should demand to get paid for what you work or just leave after half an hour. Thats what I would do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The first job I had was exactly like this, except we were not even paid for half an hour afterwards to clean up.

I actually complained to them a few times and they simply said "well you should work faster, it's your own fault", which is simply rediculous. One evening I was meant to be working from 12 until 5, with the shop closing at 9. At 5 O clock I was told I wasn't allowed to leave yet because the rubbish was meant to be taken out at the end of the shift, it only took about 10 minutes so I did that and then went to leave, however I was then told I had to brush the floor before I left and a few other things, I didn't actually get to leave until quarter past 6 and wasn't paid for the extra time.

After about a month I just got sick of it and left without leaving in any notice.

Whether it's legal or not? I'm not sure, I doubt it is but i'm not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    Check your contract. If you're hourly paid, then they must pay you. If you're salaried, then too bad...

ReputationRep:
    ild like to know, i work for the co-op and on a sunday we close the store at 10 and im meant to finish at 10 but we still need to cash up the tills etc check the shop look ok and sort out the papers and bins, but i dont get paid for any extra time i stay.

ReputationRep:
    You should be getting paid for the hours you put in. Check your contract, if you dont have it you can request a copy within a certain time period.

Companies will take advantage of younger workers as they are more vulnerable and dont know their rights

ReputationRep:
    The common argument is "You should work on your time keeping *insert name* manages to get out at 8.30, why can't you?"

And you can't really prove that there is more work than time.... it's unfair but i dont think you have strong grounds to take it any further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanM)
    Check your contract. If you're hourly paid, then they must pay you. If you're salaried, then too bad...
    I'm paid hourly. And all of us leave at the same time, no one leaves until all the work is done. Frankly, tonight I would have been better off doing it by myself- Whilst I swept, mopped and faced, one of the others wandered round for 45 minutes holding a plastic bag containing a sausage roll- don't ask.

ReputationRep:
    If you've not agreed for it, don't work it. Why would anyone work a pissy non-career job without being paid?

ReputationRep:
    Be grateful that you have any type of work at all, given the current job market.

ReputationRep:
    You say it is a small shop - so can't you do some clearing up while the shop is still open.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, it's illegal. Your employer is in breach of the terms of your contract of employment and may even be in breach of various Tax and Employment Law provisions. You should speak to your HR department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Yes, it's illegal. Your employer is in breach of the terms of your contract of employment and may even be in breach of various Tax and Employment Law provisions. You should speak to your HR department.
    Unlikely, given that it's a small shop, that they have an HR department. However, it could be a case for Citizen's Advice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NathanM)
    Unlikely, given that it's a small shop, that they have an HR department. However, it could be a case for Citizen's Advice.
    Regardless of whether or not they have a HR department I'm sure there will be someone who manages human reources. Speak to your manager, supervisor or whoever drew up your rota. Failing that, speak to CAB or even email your council. Better still, next time this happens just walk out when your shift ends; if they fire you then take the slave drivers to an Employment Tribunal and get your money's worth. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feral Beast)
    Be grateful that you have any type of work at all, given the current job market.
    If she isn't getting paid for it then it defeats the object of having a job. Good game :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Are you being paid for that extra half-hour? If so, can't you just leave after you've done the half-hour only?

We used to have to stay 15 mins to close the shop and never got paid for it. So annoying, since we get pay taken off for being 2 minutes late :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    Can't leave after the half hour... I'd lose my job for that! There are plenty of others willing to take it.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about it being illegal, but it is wrong. If I were you i'd just explain to my manager that it isn't feasible to do the cleaning in half an hour can he pay you until 9 as thats when your working till....if he doesn't do anything just leave at 8:30 and say you need to leave then as you have other commitments.

ReputationRep:
    And if they sacked you, you'd have grounds for a tribunal for unfair dismissal.

I'm lucky where I work,we write down when we clock in, and when we clock out (after all the cleanings done). This means that even if it takes an hour longer than im contracted, we get paid fully up to the next 15 minutes (i think). Pretty neat if theres a lot of rubbish/dirt/alcohol everywhere :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Can't leave after the half hour... I'd lose my job for that! There are plenty of others willing to take it.
    You just said it yourself. The needs of the business dictate that it can't afford to pay you after 8.30 but that there is always likely to be some work to do afterwards anyway. You can either see that extra bit of unpaid work as the compromise for having a job that pays you for a 12 hour shift or you can discuss your concerns with those in charge. The suggestion that the OP leaves at 8.30 on the dot is frankly unrealistic within a small business. What you could propose is that you start 30 minutes, or 1 hour later and work through until 9 or 9.30 on paid time.

I ought to add that this isn't a practice I agree with, but it is the reality in a lot of places in retail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.