Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I have absolutely nothing available to me work-wise. There are no jobs in my town I can apply for, and it seems like just because I haven't worked since I was 14 or some other young age I can't get employed. I worked for 5 months in a supermarket last year but I can't put this on a CV because the supervisor hated me and would give me a crap reference. It annoys me so much, I guess I just wanted to rant really. It's such a vicious cycle. I did voluntary work for 2 months at a primary school but this always gets overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    join the club

ReputationRep:
    Illegal for an employer to give a bad reference. They can refuse to give one though.

If you look, you will find. Just don't expect it to be a good job. I'm 18 and i'm a fecking kp, doing work that everyone else did aged between 14-16.

ReputationRep:
    Persevere, everyone has to get the first foot on the ladder But it will happen eventually! Why not try some voluntary unpaid work (like for Oxfam or something) to give you good experience on the CV?

ReputationRep:
    Everyones struggling to find work in a recession to be honest. You just have to apply to about 50 jobs and hope one will accept you. I'm in the same boat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Illegal for an employer to give a bad reference. They can refuse to give one though.

If you look, you will find. Just don't expect it to be a good job. I'm 18 and i'm a fecking kp, doing work that everyone else did aged between 14-16.
    interesting

ReputationRep:
    tbh ive found from my experience most employers dont even check the references and even if they do the references must only mention good stuff about you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP. I'm in almost the same boat. I'm still looking for part time work and have been looking for the past two months. I've handed out about 20 CVs, around 10 were to actual vacancies but I haven't heard so much as an acknowledgement of my application. I also worked for around 5 months as a cleaner at weekends but my boss was quite aggressive and I'd be terrified at the thought of even contacting her, never mind asking her for a reference.

ReputationRep:
    Put the supermarket job down...i seriously doubt that your supervisor will be the one that gives the reference...it would be, at least, a manager that would have to give it

ReputationRep:
    This is nonsense, and I speak as an employer who has given "bad" (though completely honest and fact-based) references. A referee can say anything, as long as it is not malicious, is true, and is not libellous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is nonsense, and I speak as an employer who has given "bad" (though completely honest and fact-based) references. A referee can say anything, as long as it is not malicious, is true, and is not libellous.
    Indeed. If it can be backed up, there's nothing to stop them from saying it. Although, judging by what the OP has said, it's a "hate" in general, rather than a poor performance issue.

Edit: meant to say in my last post: some experience is better than none. If it's not on your CV, then your prospective employer doesn't know that you can do/have done it!!

ReputationRep:

whats a kp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucinda_x)
    I feel like I have absolutely nothing available to me work-wise. There are no jobs in my town I can apply for, and it seems like just because I haven't worked since I was 14 or some other young age I can't get employed. I worked for 5 months in a supermarket last year but I can't put this on a CV because the supervisor hated me and would give me a crap reference. It annoys me so much, I guess I just wanted to rant really. It's such a vicious cycle. I did voluntary work for 2 months at a primary school but this always gets overlooked.
    Aww man that's crap, I know how you feel. My first and only job so far lasted a month and I left on bad terms. I now have to pretend I've never worked either because they'd give me a bad reference. It really sucks, but it's not like there are any jobs to apply for these days

ReputationRep:

Yeah but we get paid better now. Rather a KP than a waiter, at least we can be as grumpy as we like when doing back-to-back shifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    whats a kp?
    Kitchen Porter, otherwise known as the KB, Kitchen *****.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, as someone above said, bad references have to be backed with fact. Essentially you cannot in most circumstances allege misconduct without having a proper inquiry/ruling/etc within the organisation.

Most references are not simply 'he's a ****' - criticism is generally specific, although praise might be less so.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    If you think someone is going to give you a bad reference - don't ask them for one!

You don't need to mention references on a CV anyway. If/when a potential employer asks for references, ask someone who will give you a good reference. If the potential employer asks for a previous employer, just say you can't provide one and provide a different name.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.