Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to get a job with NO experience in this recession?!? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am so fed up. I really want a job and i do not understand what is going on! all i know is that CVs are **** cos people that have met me in person know that i would be good for a job. The only problem is I have no experience at all. I am student so of course i wouldn't but all my mates seem to be getting jobs and i am left out because i have no bloody money.
    I just want to scream!

What pissed me of the most today is that Mcdonalds of all places rejected me without a chance of an interview!

I hate everything i just need a job to get out of my stupid ******* house my parents are not helping me!

ARGH i had to rant!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently micky dees dont like hiring people just for the summer so they reject a lot of students (thats what ive heard where i live anyway). Volunteer in a charity shop for the time being, then you have something good on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    It seems a bit hit and miss... my little sister waltzed into a hotel a couple of weeks ago and got a full time job without any prior experience, on the other hand my mate was handing out CVs since easter and didn't get a look in anywhere.... Knowing them both well I would say they were equally qualified, but for some reason one got luckier than the other. Keep trying though!

ReputationRep:
    it depends what kind of jobs we're talking about???? recession is overrated by those who cannot find jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    It seems a bit hit and miss... my little sister waltzed into a hotel a couple of weeks ago and got a full time job without any prior experience, on the other hand my mate was handing out CVs since easter and didn't get a look in anywhere.... Knowing them both well I would say they were equally qualified, but for some reason one got luckier than the other. Keep trying though!
    Is your sister extremely good looking?

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is possible to get a job with no experience. If you think that people meeting you will help, get out there and hand out some CVs. I've had people come to me to hand in CVs, and although we don't accept direct applications (they need to go through an agency that does a phone interview with them), I've said to the other managers in store, "look out for an application for "X". They were in with their CV and seemed like they could be really good for the job".

So in short, getting out there should help.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is possible. After all, everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe try looking at a bigger variety of jobs - there are always care jobs going, for example. Have you tried any agencies?
    It is often just a case of luck more than anytging else, if the manager takes a shine to you over someone else etc.

ReputationRep:
    try primark. i eventually stooped this low and got a job straight away been there 10 month now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    Is your sister extremely good looking?
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Yes!
    there you go then.

OP - if you're a good looking female, wear a low cut top and go work in a restaurant/bar/shop.

If not, you'll have to actually work hard, like the rest of us with penis'

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I did.

And no, I am not related to anyone who works there, nor have I met them before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfers_Paradise*09*)
    Yes. I did.

And no, I am not related to anyone who works there, nor have I met them before
    Where? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bedshaped)
    Where? :hmmm:
    Not at a shop, at an independant kids place.
    I'l probably just be on reception but its a job to me.

ReputationRep:
    I got a job cleaning / making beds for conferences in university accommodation. Didn't even have to give them a CV or anything, everyone that turned up to an open day was hired. Not much under £7 an hour as well It can be really gross cleaning up after students though.

You stand more chance if you apply to temporary jobs especially if you want full time hours. Shops looking for full time permanant staff are obviously going to go for the people that are less likely to bugger off to college or uni come september. So many students lie/'forget' to mention that they'll only be there for the summer that they'll probably be suspicious of lots of 18 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    it'a possible, though you have to make job hunting your job while you're looking for a work, send CV cover letters everyday, never give up. However, having no experience is a major obstacle to overcome, though keep trying pal.

I couldn't get a job in a library with prior experience of working in a library. Nepotism much? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    My only job was for Royal Mail as a seasonal mail sorter which lasted around 2 months. I'm finding it extremely hard to get a job now and have been for the last 3-4 months. Its really frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    OP if it's any consolation, i'm in the exact same position as you

Sucks

ReputationRep:
    I'll join the queue of ranters here. Sure, I have a 'job', but it's casual, so I only get a few hours a month. Which isn't what I need to be able to pay my rent next year. I've looked pretty much everywhere within the confines of Cardiff, and been rejected (or ignored, as I prefer to see it) by everyone: today's search included M&S, WHSmiths, Sainsbury's, the Marriott hotel, GAP; all places hiring 'nationwide', but not hiring in Cardiff...ever.

What also bugs me is the whole "You need prior experience" thing. Well, even the places I've applied to in the last year *with relevant experience* have rejected/ignored me - Wetherspoons, and Hard Rock Cafe are ones that stick in my mind.

I live less than 20miles from Cardiff, and can easily be there in an hour. I'm living there full time from September, so, they can't exactly use the "BUT YOO MITE RUN AWAYZ!" excuse on me; It's just soooo pointless. And what's even worse is that my mother keeps moaning that I'm not looking - I've applied for jobs here, there, everywhere. (The weekend of the 31st, there's a ''jobs bus'' down there, so I'll be taking a trip to get me a job with a wadge of cover letters&CVs to hand in places after the old bus trip. Heck, I may even go to all the places I haven't tried yet; all the hotels and such).

ReputationRep:
    If you are struggling to find a job, why not volunteer in your local charity shop for a week or two just to gain some experience?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.