Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my dad's going on a business trip for 3 weeks and I need insurance to drive the car to do the shopping etc. I am only 19 and when asked the insurance company to insure me for a month, it's coming up as too high. Are there any other cheaper ways of insuring myself?

ReputationRep:
    Get a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown2693)
    Basically, my dad's going on a business trip for 3 weeks and I need insurance to drive the car to do the shopping etc. I am only 19 and when asked the insurance company to insure me for a month, it's coming up as too high. Are there any other cheaper ways of insuring myself?

That's odd. When my Dad put me on his insurance for a month, Norwich Union only wanted £15. Do they understand you just want 1 month, not to be put on the insurance properly and pay for only a month at a time?

Try asking if they'll lower the cost but raise the excess for you. That's what ours did. So only £15 to put me on, but if I crash (not my Dad) my excess is several hundred pounds higher than his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by away to a dark country)
    That's odd. When my Dad put me on his insurance for a month, Norwich Union only wanted £15. Do they understand you just want 1 month, not to be put on the insurance properly and pay for only a month at a time?

Try asking if they'll lower the cost but raise the excess for you. That's what ours did. So only £15 to put me on, but if I crash (not my Dad) my excess is several hundred pounds higher than his.
    Erm I think OP is a Guy hence much more expensive and when you got insured was it on a BMW? I got temporary insurance on my Dad's 540i with Directline and it was £89 for the month, which wasn't bad considering the 406 2.2 I had with them was costing me £117.43 P/M

ReputationRep:
    Phone your dads insurance company, quote the policy number and ask how much extra it would be to put on for the month, then do the same for the rest of the policy and see which works out cheaper. Anywho shopping is no excuse when you could just get a tesco home delivery... or the bus.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 11, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.