Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

D&D Theology's "Ask About Mormonism" Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been reading through the past threads about mormonism and have found that many people don't really understand what it is.

So this is aimed to be the first "ask a Mormon thread" for TSR.

Any questions, comments, debates - put them here.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, welcome to TSR

What evidence is there to support the idea that Jesus travelled to America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Hello, welcome to TSR

is that their belief?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Hello, welcome to TSR

Where exactly on the American continent that Jesus was is unknown and comes down mainly to opinion. - I believe that the most commonly cited opinion is that Jesus visited somewhere in central America or southern Mexico. - The only evidence that we have is unfortunately the book of mormon and other revelations revealed unto our Prophets - and of course If I was standing from the outside looking in it would only be natural to be skeptical about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    is that their belief?
    It's one of the things we believe happened. It however isn't the cornerstone of our religion.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus didn't travel he appeared...

and oven im a mormon too so willing to help out, HOWEVER this is TSR, you are going to get a lot of idiots getting the anti-mormon literature on the web etc, but good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)

and oven im a mormon too so willing to help out, HOWEVER this is TSR, you are going to get a lot of idiots getting the anti-mormon literature on the web etc, but good luck
    That's exactly what I was hoping to achieve by having this thread; too many lies online causing others to have an unfavorable view of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    That's exactly what I was hoping to achieve by having this thread; too many lies online causing others to have an unfavorable view of us.

well you know, you're welcome to give them answers back, but unfortunately the only thing you need to understand is faith, im betting you're a RM eager to get back into it again lol

ReputationRep:
    why were black people excluded from priesthood ?

ReputationRep:
    well you know, you're welcome to give them answers back, but unfortunately the only thing you need to understand is faith, im betting you're a RM eager to get back into it again lol
    Unfortunately circumstances stopped me from going on a mission. My wife and I are hoping we can serve somewhere when we are retired though.

I'm just bored of all of the anti lds propaganda on the internet tbqh.

ReputationRep:
    How does mormonism differ from traditional christianity? Do you believe in an afterlife?

ReputationRep:
    Why did Jesus pick america, and not say England?

ReputationRep:
    Do Mormons think: 1.there are "magic" underwear which prevent physical harm
    2.You can't get into heaven without knowing a secret ritual
    3. Joseph Smith claimed a man is 10 times more likely to get into heaven if he has 10 wives rather than 1
    4.God lives on a planet/near a star named Colup (sp?)
    5.The garden of Eden was in Missouri.
    6.Black people were the descendants of "kane" and God threw a fire ball at them which subsequently darkened their skin.
    7.Native Americans were originally "white", but they rejected Jesus Christ and so God changed their skin colour to "red".
    8.God engaged in physical sex with Mary.
    9.Dinosaur fossils were created by the devil to deceive us.
    10.The new Zion will be in Missouri.
    11. Joseph Smith was threatned by an angel with a sword to start Polygomy.
    12. Jesus was married (several times) with kids.
    13.Men are only able to produce miracles.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of mormonism what are there basic belifs? what is mormonism in a nuttshell?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the Book of Mormon, and the founder (who's name escapes me).

I realise that religion in general is always shaky, but this is a fairly weak basis for starting a faith is it not? This gentleman finds this book, didn't he hide it away and never let anyone else see it? (My history may be wrong). Its pretty easy to decry the entire religion as a farce IF this is true, and IF he made up the story (as is fairly likely if you look at it rom a view without using your faith. Imagine I claimed to have discovered evidence Jesus came to Britain and really wants us all to walk around naked etc).

Also, why the ban on transfusions? I could look this one up but I'm lazy

ReputationRep:
    Multiple wives for men? True?

Brandon Flowers is a Mormon, too. Just thought I'd put that out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Where exactly on the American continent that Jesus was is unknown and comes down mainly to opinion. - I believe that the most commonly cited opinion is that Jesus visited somewhere in central America or southern Mexico. - The only evidence that we have is unfortunately the book of mormon and other revelations revealed unto our Prophets - and of course If I was standing from the outside looking in it would only be natural to be skeptical about that.
    Fair enough. I could talk about how improbable that seems, given the distance etc - but then I am a Christian and therefore I believe Jesus is God - so if he wanted to go to America, he could have done so.

I guess the question I have to ask is, what passages in the Bible support the truthfulness of Joseph Smith as the final prophet, and of the Book of Mormon etc as God's final revelation?

Also, how do you reconcile that with the fact that the Bible claims to be complete and to be the final revelation?

ReputationRep:

Hey Sub, hope you're well (I've been somewhat neglecting the notts chat of late.. )

I thought you were an ex-Mormon?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll admit to not understanding Mormonism. What is it exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAD_MONGOOSE)
    Do Mormons think: 1.there are "magic" underwear which prevent physical harm No, its a psychological barrier, reminder of promises made
    2.You can't get into heaven without knowing a secret ritual Not really, its without knowing/understanding/having faith, not necessarily a ritual
    3. Joseph Smith claimed a man is 10 times more likely to get into heaven if he has 10 wives rather than 1 nooooooooo
    4.God lives on a planet/near a star named Colup (sp?) no
    5.The garden of Eden was in Missouri. sort of true
    6.Black people were the descendants of "kane" and God threw a fire ball at them which subsequently darkened their skin. This is debatable
    7.Native Americans were originally "white", but they rejected Jesus Christ and so God changed their skin colour to "red". No
    8.God engaged in physical sex with Mary. No
    9.Dinosaur fossils were created by the devil to deceive us. No
    10.The new Zion will be in Missouri. it'll be on the earth
    11. Joseph Smith was threatned by an angel with a sword to start Polygomy. no
    12. Jesus was married (several times) with kids. maybe try and not read the da vinci code
    13.Men are only able to produce miracles. lol no, they hold the keys to the preisthood, however women share them too
    hope that helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.