Turn on thread page Beta

D&D Theology's "Ask About Mormonism" Thread watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why are you not catholic? (or any other religion but, for sake of argument, catholicism will suffice).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underc0ver)
    Why did Jesus pick america, and not say England?
    Well, there is the story about that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Hey Sub, hope you're well (I've been somewhat neglecting the notts chat of late.. )

I thought you were an ex-Mormon?

lol caught me..i didn't want to explain to the OP why I was an ex-mormon really, lol its really hard explaining it to them, as they never seem to understand and want a debate with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Imagine I claimed to have discovered evidence Jesus came to Britain
    Not a new idea - ever heard Jerusalem? :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    hope that helps
    So, as the native americans would have been the only residents of america at the time of jesus' visit, why are they not the holders and spreaders of this religion?

ReputationRep:
    You can't open a thread like this and ignore peoples questions! Answer mine dammit!

ReputationRep:
    lol caught me..i didn't want to explain to the OP why I was an ex-mormon really, lol its really hard explaining it to them, as they never seem to understand and want a debate with me
    Ah, sorry.

I assume then you still have good relations with / fond memories of Mormonism, if you're still eager to defend it from misconceptions?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the Book of Mormon, and the founder (who's name escapes me).

I realise that religion in general is always shaky, but this is a fairly weak basis for starting a faith is it not? This gentleman finds this book, didn't he hide it away and never let anyone else see it? (My history may be wrong). Its pretty easy to decry the entire religion as a farce IF this is true, and IF he made up the story (as is fairly likely if you look at it rom a view without using your faith. Imagine I claimed to have discovered evidence Jesus came to Britain and really wants us all to walk around naked etc).

Also, why the ban on transfusions? I could look this one up but I'm lazy
    There is no ban on blood transfusions - you are confusing mormonism with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Joseph Smith is the man who I guess you could say started Mormonism. He was a man who lived and grew up in a very rural setting, no firm education and as even testified by Emma Smith (his wife) he was not capable of producing a piece of writing such as the book of Mormon - it was only through revelation and the spirit that he could.

As for the other questions, I will answer them tomorrow hopefully - time for me to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    So, as the native americans would have been the only residents of america at the time of jesus' visit, why are they not the holders and spreaders of this religion?

Because the world wasn't ready to have the preisthood on the earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Not a new idea - ever heard Jerusalem? :p:
    Oh you know what I mean

Replace 'Britain' with 'my house'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Ah, sorry.

I assume then you still have good relations with / fond memories of Mormonism, if you're still eager to defend it from misconceptions?

It was my life for a good 14years, i still have friends who are mormons, and obviously my family are strong members, its not something i want to feel bitter over, its not a bad religion, just something i disagree with on some major issues

ReputationRep:
    hope that helps
    Thanks for the reply. Where do you think all these claims come from? Is it a global conspiracy against America? (sorry Freudian slip, i mean Mormonism :-P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underc0ver)
    Why did Jesus pick america, and not say England?

you'll say the same thing if it was another country.

I think god chose america, as he knew one day it'd be an influential land, and be at the forefront of spreading communication, knowledge therefore easier to spread the word of god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAD_MONGOOSE)
    Thanks for the reply. Where do you think all these claims come from? Is it a global conspiracy against America? (sorry Freudian slip, i mean Mormonism :-P)

nope, just some bitter ex-mormons

ReputationRep:
    you'll say the same thing if it was another country.

I think god chose america, as he knew one day it'd be an influential land, and be at the forefront of spreading communication, knowledge therefore easier to spread the word of god
    You could say the same of Britain, Spain a few centuries back, China/India in the nxt century. Why America at that particular time?

ReputationRep:
    You could say the same of Britain, Spain a few centuries back, China/India in the nxt century. Why America at that particular time?

Because the world is ready now to have the gospel, its the 'last days' according to mormonism, and it needs to be spread across nations, america is influential now

Plus Many mormons go on faith, that its god's decision and gods will that may be revealed at a later date

ReputationRep:
    It was my life for a good 14years, i still have friends who are mormons, and obviously my family are strong members, its not something i want to feel bitter over, its not a bad religion, just something i disagree with on some major issues
    OK. I do agree - I don't know any Mormons personally but they do seem to be moral and constructive members of society on the whole. My issue is that, as a Christian, I fear Mormonism presents a false gospel.

The last couple of Mormons who posted on here absolutely refused to debate and took the slightest questions as personal insults and eventually left - qute pathetic really. I'm pleased that we have the possibilty of a discussion between Christians and Mormons here now.

ReputationRep:
    hey you guys avoided my question !!

ReputationRep:
    You should just accept that there's not a god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    OK. I do agree - I don't know any Mormons personally but they do seem to be moral and constructive members of society on the whole. My issue is that, as a Christian, I fear Mormonism presents a false gospel.

The last couple of Mormons who posted on here absolutely refused to debate and took the slightest questions as personal insults and eventually left - qute pathetic really. I'm pleased that we have the possibilty of a discussion between Christians and Mormons here now.

Its a hard area to define 'christianity' i mean its been sorely debated, and still is.

I've been a mormon AND a protestant, and personally there is simply a different interpretation of the bible, which is the big major difference, and this different interpretation leads onto different rituals, views..and obviously another area of the mormon faith (BoM)

There are two sides to it, however i think a mormon is more "christian" than a fundamentalist bible-belt gay-hating american!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.