Turn on thread page Beta

D&D Theology's "Ask About Mormonism" Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to do one topic at a time, so for now, can you explain to me the underwear thing?
    I had a Mormon friend who wasn't too bright, didn't believe (or understand) that part of it.
    We watched "all about Mormons" the southpark episode, she said it was accurate and it didn't change her beliefs etc.
    I'm sceptical about how a like the teachings of Mormonism were shown in the episode do actual Mormonism (again, she wasn't too bright), so is it accurate, if you've seen it? (oh gosh I guess that's two topics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    why were black people excluded from priesthood ?
    The flood did not end this curse (genesis, curse on cain) , as the sins of Ham allowed the curse placed on Cain and his descendants to continue. This restriction would later become known as the black priesthood ban.

The former church prophet, Joseph Fielding Smith, and apostle Bruce R. McConkie, the author of Mormon Doctrine, stated that blacks were not allowed to hold the skin because of some act they committed in the preexistence.

When the civil rights movement started to bring attention to racial inequalities in the 1960s, the black priesthood ban remained, but more people criticized this racist policy. The answer from the leadership of the Mormon Church was, “It’s not time yet.” The Church and the Negro stated that Abel needed to start his own celestial family before the ban could be lifted.

The black priesthood ban fall would come from pressure by the U.S. Congress and from problems determining whether or not a person in Latin America was eligible to hold the priesthood, especially when the temples started to be constructed.

The full fall of the priesthood ban took place over a period of many decades, but in 1979, President Spencer W. Kimball announced that the time had come for blacks to hold the priesthood and an official declaration was placed at the end of the Doctrine and Covenants.

Although there were political pressures and monetary concerns that may have contributed to the announcement, the declaration was given in theological terms. After the ban was lifted, many blacks were ordained into the priesthood.

PERSONALLY: this is one issue which led to me leaving the church, i disagreed with this view, and felt the decision made back when the church was founded was a cultural/societal one and not one made by god, and the pressures put on them lead to god suddenly 'making it ok'. Its something i feel angry and confused over, and my mum who is still a strong member agrees, however feels that maybe the ban was on when the church was founded because mormons were persecuted enough as it was, but black mormons in the 1800's would have had it even worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'll try to do one topic at a time, so for now, can you explain to me the underwear thing?
    I had a Mormon friend who wasn't too bright, didn't believe (or understand) that part of it.
    We watched "all about Mormons" the southpark episode, she said it was accurate and it didn't change her beliefs etc.
    I'm sceptical about how a like the teachings of Mormonism were shown in the episode do actual Mormonism (again, she wasn't too bright), so is it accurate, if you've seen it? (oh gosh I guess that's two topics).
    It's a religious vesture beneath the clothing of those who have taken part in the Endowment ceremony. Garments are worn both day and night and are required for any previously endowed adult to enter a church temple. The undergarments are viewed as a symbolic reminder of the sacred covenants made in temple ceremonies, and are viewed as an either symbolic or literal source of protection from the evils of the world- however most mormons see it as symbolic, a reminder of their promise to god and to avoid the evils

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Its a hard area to define 'christianity' i mean its been sorely debated, and still is.

I've been a mormon AND a protestant, and personally there is simply a different interpretation of the bible, which is the big major difference, and this different interpretation leads onto different rituals, views..and obviously another area of the mormon faith (BoM)

There are two sides to it, however i think a mormon is more "christian" than a fundamentalist bible-belt gay-hating american!
    Well no.. there's clearly a much bigger difference between Mormons and Protestants, in that Mormons have these extra books that are just as authorative as the Bible.

Sure, the definition of Christian is subjective, but as far as I'm concerned, to be a Christian you have to believe that Jesus is the one God, which Mormons do not.

ReputationRep:

oh and ive seen it and its wholly exaggerated/taken out of context!!

Its REALLY hard to remember the majority of mormons are sane intelligent human beings, there are a minority who are Idiots and do believe it gives them protection to 'car crashes' etc but..they're idiots, you get the nutjobs in all religions

ReputationRep:
    Jesus didn't travel he appeared...

and oven im a mormon too so willing to help out, HOWEVER this is TSR, you are going to get a lot of idiots getting the anti-mormon literature on the web etc, but good luck
    You're not a mormon, you're an ex mormon.

ReputationRep:
    oh and ive seen it and its wholly exaggerated/taken out of context!!

Its REALLY hard to remember the majority of mormons are sane intelligent human beings, there are a minority who are Idiots and do believe it gives them protection to 'car crashes' etc but..they're idiots, you get the nutjobs in all religions
    Even if it's out of context there are a lot of funny moments in that (and before someone says if it was your belief then you'd not find it funny, I'm a vegan and found the vegetarian one hilarious!)

So why is there special underwear, can't mormons just wear normal underwear for the symbolism? I don't get why they need special underwear for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Well no.. there's clearly a much bigger difference between Mormons and Protestants, in that Mormons have these extra books that are just as authorative as the Bible.

Sure, the definition of Christian is subjective, but as far as I'm concerned, to be a Christian you have to believe that Jesus is the one God, which Mormons do not.

I see your point, however mormons do believe in one god..their hevanly father, they just don't believe in the 'trinity' to be one god, but 3 seperate people, but just one GOD, and jesus is the SON of god and the holy spirit is OUR guide.

you're right the BoM is just as authoritive, and this area of mormonism is a grey one, i saw myself as a christian when a mormon, and many if all do, just different views/sources of literature on who this god is

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Glenn Beck a Mormon? Man, I feel sorry for all Mormons

Are most Mormons racist or are there racist Mormons, just as any group of people could also include racists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    Isn't Glenn Beck a Mormon? Man, I feel sorry for all Mormons

Are most Mormons racist?
    And I guess that leads onto is there a specific racist teaching in the Mormon belief?

ReputationRep:
    Even if it's out of context there are a lot of funny moments in that (and before someone says if it was your belief then you'd not find it funny, I'm a vegan and found the vegetarian one hilarious!)

So why is there special underwear, can't mormons just wear normal underwear for the symbolism? I don't get why they need special underwear for it...

they're garments that are white, and from the temple- a place for mormons where they feel is a 'sacred' place. Seeing as the covenants are made in the temple, and the garments can only be obtained from a temple (even though many have been bantered around ebay!) it makes it that more special via the connection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    You're not a mormon, you're an ex mormon.

if you read furthur posts you'd know why i said that

ReputationRep:
    And I guess that leads onto is there a specific racist teaching in the Mormon belief?
    Well this kind of confused me:

"6.Black people were the descendants of "kane" and God threw a fire ball at them which subsequently darkened their skin." This is debatable

ReputationRep:
    if you read furthur posts you'd know why i said that
    The kind of things that get's on people's tits. Anyhoo, I digress :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    I had a girl in my class who was a mormon. She never wore makeup and would sit quietly by herself if anyone started discussing sex or drugs. She said she didn't listen to music at home and rarely watched movies or TV.

Is this usual?

She also had a fixation with "modest dress", which is another way of saying "old-fashioned misogynist oppression of womens' freedom on the basis that they presume any girl showing an inch of skin wants to sleep with them".

Sounds like another ridiculous religion to me. As if the "belief in god" bit wasn't bad enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    Well this kind of confused me:

"6.Black people were the descendants of "kane" and God threw a fire ball at them which subsequently darkened their skin." This is debatable
    There are many translations of that, and i guess mormons as individuals can choose to take that in anyway

Its not racist now..no..HOWEVER, i think the views held by the church were align with society/christianity at that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silkspectre)
    I had a girl in my class who was a mormon. She never wore makeup and would sit quietly by herself if anyone started discussing sex or drugs. She said she didn't listen to music at home and rarely watched movies or TV.

Is this usual?

She also had a fixation with "modest dress", which is another way of saying "old-fashioned misogynist oppression of womens' freedom on the basis that they presume any girl showing an inch of skin wants to sleep with them".

Sounds like another ridiculous religion to me. As if the "belief in god" bit wasn't bad enough.

yeah shes a nutjob.

the girls dress modestly out of choice, and tbh i still do..i VERY rarely wear vests out of home/short skirts..but i think thats just my style not necessarily my upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    I love mormons. Polygamy :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Waht's your opinion of Brandon Flowers and his clearly hypocritical views when one considers his claims of being a Mormon; is this the sort of role model for today's youth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I love mormons. Polygamy :yy:
    :laugh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.