The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Subcutaneous
without getting offensive, i'd much rather believe in a seperate godhead than the trinity...where there is no mention in the bible of this

Nowhere near being offensive, don't worry.. :smile:

Well, I think the Trinity is a very clear biblical doctrine, but we won't get into that.

Who do Mormons think Jesus is? Is he God?
MazalTov89
To fellow ex-Mormons (I'm not sure how many there are, but what the hey), what were the reasons behind you leaving the church? Besides the crazy things that the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants taught, for me it was the role of women in the Church, the concept of going on a mission (I felt that those two years were better put in studying at university rather than going to an alien country on a failed proselytising mission), and I really felt shunned whenever I was in Young Mens/Youth. Oh, and not to mention the church's perspective on homosexuality.

I'm going to try and take my name off the church records in the near future, but I've been told of how much of a task it is to do so (and of the risk that my family could shun me for the rest of my life, but I know my family would never do such a thing)

probably just me lol.

Mine were :blacks not recieving preisthood, roles of the woman, views on gay rights, abortion, evolution..euthanasia..etc!!!

I keep meaning to take my name of the register, but tbh im not too fussed...its no big deal really

My family won't shun me i know that, i think they've pretty much accepted i'm not going back, and can see how happier i am not being in the church. Obviously my mum is sad i can't share the blessings she wants her family to recieve...as families are meant to be together forever in her eyes, and obviously as i've rejected the church, shes upset i'm not going to be with them, BUT she knows im a good, sensible, modest woman, who's intelligent.

It has been hard, and my god i feel guilty at times that my mum thinks this and gets upset
jhs08
Nowhere near being offensive, don't worry.. :smile:

Well, I think the Trinity is a very clear biblical doctrine, but we won't get into that.

Who do Mormons think Jesus is? Is he God?

hes the son of god, he's speaks gods word and was the first son created, however we will all be 'gods' anyway

and with the trinity thing, well it just all comes down to different interpretations/readings :dontknow:
Reply 63
Subcutaneous
hes the son of god, he's speaks gods word and was the first son created, however we will all be 'gods' anyway

Is it true Mormons believe he is the brother of Satan?
Subcutaneous
probably just me lol.

Mine were :blacks not recieving preisthood, roles of the woman, views on gay rights, abortion, evolution..euthanasia..etc!!!

I keep meaning to take my name of the register, but tbh im not too fussed...its no big deal really

My family won't shun me i know that, i think they've pretty much accepted i'm not going back, and can see how happier i am not being in the church. Obviously my mum is sad i can't share the blessings she wants her family to recieve...as families are meant to be together forever in her eyes, and obviously as i've rejected the church, shes upset i'm not going to be with them, BUT she knows im a good, sensible, modest woman, who's intelligent.

It has been hard, and my god i feel guilty at times that my mum thinks this and gets upset

Whilst she's a MORON :awesome:
1 Economic Historian
Do you actually believe you become the king of your own planet (or something absurd like that) when you die? Lmao :rofl:

Sort of.

Mormons believe that Mormons go to heaven and everyone else goes to hell. They also believe in the 'degrees of glory', that at the Day of Judgement, mankind would be sent to one of three kingdoms - Celestial, Terrestial and Telestial. The Teslestial Kingdom is for everyone that has sinned and "never accepted the word of God". The Terrestial Kingdom is for those that did accept the word of God, but were "blinded by the craftiness of men". The Celestial Kingdom is for those that kept the word of the Lord throughout their lives, and it is in this kingdom that they essentially become God-like and can create their own universe and ****.
probably cause its pretty deep docterine they've taken the **** out of, and i dont have enough understanding of it/ive not learnt it since i was 14!

I just know the basics im afraid
jhs08
Is it true Mormons believe he is the brother of Satan?

Yes, we are all brother and sisters of satan, and brother and sisters of jesus
Subcutaneous
Yes, we are all brother and sisters of satan, and brother and sisters of jesus

so you believe in incest :eek3:
Subcutaneous
probably just me lol.

LOL, don't get me started on the views on evolution. In my ward, pretty much everyone accepted the fact that evolution happened with animals, but NEVER with humans!

Suprisingly, I found out about the role of blacks in the church a couple of years after I left (and naturally I was shocked), although I was aware of how they kept on changing their views on the supposed origins of the Native Americans (this was also another reason why I left). I remember reading the prefaces of two copies of the Book of Mormon, one was printed in the mid-1980s and the other was about 40 years older. The older edition said that the Lamanites were the sole ancestors of the Native Americans, where as the newer version said that they were one of the ancestors of the Native Americans. Apparently, I think this change carried out as a result of several independent genetic studies that clearly proved that there was no relation between Jews and Amerindians.

And yeah, a part of me is reluctant to take the name of the register because of the effort behind it, but I don't want to be pestered in years to come by missionaries trying to take me "back to the flock"

And I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen :biggrin:
MazalTov89
LOL, don't get me started on the views on evolution. In my ward, pretty much everyone accepted the fact that evolution happened with animals, but NEVER with humans!

Suprisingly, I found out about the role of blacks in the church a couple of years after I left (and naturally I was shocked), although I was aware of how they kept on changing their views on the supposed origins of the Native Americans (this was also another reason why I left). I remember reading the prefaces of two copies of the Book of Mormon, one was printed in the mid-1980s and the other was about 40 years older. The older edition said that the Lamanites were the sole ancestors of the Native Americans, where as the newer version said that they were one of the ancestors of the Native Americans. Apparently, I think this change carried out as a result of several independent genetic studies that clearly proved that there was no relation between Jews and Amerindians.

And yeah, a part of me is reluctant to take the name of the register because of the effort behind it, but I don't want to be pestered in years to come by missionaries trying to take me "back to the flock"

And I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen :biggrin:

*really hope her mum doesn't read this*

If im ever worried I always pray with my arms crossed and say those lones lmao!!! not like the normal person who prays!

My mum believes in evolution..but i pointed out to her that the doesn't co-incide with the docterine, but my parents aren't what you'd call the average mormons. I grew up in a pretty liberal family, my mum used to get so OTT about us being bad, and how we weren't like other families in the ward but she just ended up mellowing out

Im a bit worried about my dad though. He just doesn't seem, happy...in life in general. Maybe its an age thing?

wow this is like a therapy session lol
Reply 71
I think Mormons are pretty cool actually. I lived in Provo for a bit over a year just down the road from Brigham Young Uni so had quite a lot of exposure to Mormonism.

I think what they believe is nonsense but then again, it's not really any more nonsensical than that which is believed by Christians. Mormons believe that the Native American Indians are the lost tribe of Israel and that Jesus came to America. But is that really so crazy? After all, mainline Christians believe that a man was born to a virgin, turned water into wine, and fed 5000 people with a fish.

Mind you, the Mormons also baptise the dead - including Hitler.......far out man!
Is the South Park representation, and the story to go with it accurate?
PoliceStory
Is the South Park representation, and the story to go with it accurate?

no
Subcutaneous
no

What's inaccurate about how they tell the story?
Subcutaneous
*really hope her mum doesn't read this*

If im ever worried I always pray with my arms crossed and say those lones lmao!!! not like the normal person who prays!

My mum believes in evolution..but i pointed out to her that the doesn't co-incide with the docterine, but my parents aren't what you'd call the average mormons. I grew up in a pretty liberal family, my mum used to get so OTT about us being bad, and how we weren't like other families in the ward but she just ended up mellowing out

Im a bit worried about my dad though. He just doesn't seem, happy...in life in general. Maybe its an age thing?

wow this is like a therapy session lol

That's a shame about your father. Would you say that part of the reason is the church? I ask because although my parents are religious, they often comment how they both feel unhappy at church. They feel as if there is some sort of clique mentality in the ward or something (I suppose I don't blame them, I left the church 5 years ago and two of my sisters are now "less active" )
PoliceStory
What's inaccurate about how they tell the story?

why dont you do a bit of reading on the faith?

at lds.org

and come back and tell me what you think mmk?
Subcutaneous
why dont you do a bit of reading on the faith?

at lds.org

and come back and tell me what you think mmk?

Sorry, I won't 'ask a mormon' to explain the flaws in how it was presented.

I realise it'll be exagerated, but what part of it is simply wrong?
MazalTov89
That's a shame about your father. Would you say that part of the reason is the church? I ask because although my parents are religious, they often comment how they both feel unhappy at church. They feel as if there is some sort of clique mentality in the ward or something (I suppose I don't blame them, I left the church 5 years ago and two of my sisters are now "less active" )

I don't know, it seems to be life in general really..but my dad is very closeted with his emotions.

My mum hates the clique mentality, the way people treat each other, judgment and 'im more worthy than you' attitude..

yet another reason why i left..

what ward/branch/stake were you at :holmes:

you know what they say...everyone in the church knows each other
Reply 79
Howard
I think Mormons are pretty cool actually. I lived in Provo for a bit over a year just down the road from Brigham Young Uni so had quite a lot of exposure to Mormonism.
What were the students like? They have a rather strict Honour Code (although I don't know how much that was a reflection of cultural expectations, instead of their Mormonism).

Latest

Trending

Trending