Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the South Park representation, and the story to go with it accurate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Is the South Park representation, and the story to go with it accurate?

no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    no
    What's inaccurate about how they tell the story?

*really hope her mum doesn't read this*

If im ever worried I always pray with my arms crossed and say those lones lmao!!! not like the normal person who prays!

My mum believes in evolution..but i pointed out to her that the doesn't co-incide with the docterine, but my parents aren't what you'd call the average mormons. I grew up in a pretty liberal family, my mum used to get so OTT about us being bad, and how we weren't like other families in the ward but she just ended up mellowing out

Im a bit worried about my dad though. He just doesn't seem, happy...in life in general. Maybe its an age thing?

wow this is like a therapy session lol
    That's a shame about your father. Would you say that part of the reason is the church? I ask because although my parents are religious, they often comment how they both feel unhappy at church. They feel as if there is some sort of clique mentality in the ward or something (I suppose I don't blame them, I left the church 5 years ago and two of my sisters are now "less active" )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    What's inaccurate about how they tell the story?

why dont you do a bit of reading on the faith?

at lds.org

and come back and tell me what you think mmk?

ReputationRep:
    why dont you do a bit of reading on the faith?

at lds.org

and come back and tell me what you think mmk?
    Sorry, I won't 'ask a mormon' to explain the flaws in how it was presented.

I realise it'll be exagerated, but what part of it is simply wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    That's a shame about your father. Would you say that part of the reason is the church? I ask because although my parents are religious, they often comment how they both feel unhappy at church. They feel as if there is some sort of clique mentality in the ward or something (I suppose I don't blame them, I left the church 5 years ago and two of my sisters are now "less active" )
    I don't know, it seems to be life in general really..but my dad is very closeted with his emotions.

My mum hates the clique mentality, the way people treat each other, judgment and 'im more worthy than you' attitude..

yet another reason why i left..

what ward/branch/stake were you at :holmes:

you know what they say...everyone in the church knows each other

(Original post by Howard)
    I think Mormons are pretty cool actually. I lived in Provo for a bit over a year just down the road from Brigham Young Uni so had quite a lot of exposure to Mormonism.
    What were the students like? They have a rather strict Honour Code (although I don't know how much that was a reflection of cultural expectations, instead of their Mormonism).

ReputationRep:
    Did God really have sex with Mary?

ReputationRep:
    What's this about special underpants?

I don't know, it seems to be life in general really..but my dad is very closeted with his emotions.

My mum hates the clique mentality, the way people treat each other, judgment and 'im more worthy than you' attitude..

yet another reason why i left..

what ward/branch/stake were you at :holmes:

you know what they say...everyone in the church knows each other
    Urgh, tell me about it. I mentioned earlier about how the clique mentality in Young Men's/Youth was one of the facotrs I left. I guess the cliqueness was to do with the "holier than thou" attitude that was rife in my ward, although I suppose it could have also been because I wasn't born into the church; I joined with my mother when I was eight, we were Catholics beforehand. With the exception of the American kids (who were always liked by the Youth because it was often the case that "OMG THEY'RE FROM UTAH!" ), everyone in Youth all grew up with each other. My mum feels a similar thing with Relief Society, although my dad doesn't with Priesthood - I suppose men in general do just bottle up their emotions!

Oh, and I was at Hayes Ward, Watford Stake. What about you? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, tell me about it. I mentioned earlier about how the clique mentality in Young Men's/Youth was one of the facotrs I left. I guess the cliqueness was to do with the "holier than thou" attitude that was rife in my ward, although I suppose it could have also been because I wasn't born into the church; I joined with my mother when I was eight, we were Catholics beforehand. With the exception of the American kids (who were always liked by the Youth because it was often the case that "OMG THEY'RE FROM UTAH!" ), everyone in Youth all grew up with each other. My mum feels a similar thing with Relief Society, although my dad doesn't with Priesthood - I suppose men in general do just bottle up their emotions!

Oh, and I was at Hayes Ward, Watford Stake. What about you? :holmes:

weston-super-mare at the bristol stake..

but yeah, what also confused me was the american families were treated/revered as more 'better' than others

(Original post by -Neon-)
    What's this about special underpants?
    The "special underpants" represent the garments that were worn by Adam and Eve after they ate from the Tree. The garments are supposed to protect the wearer from evil, but many wearers have testified that it protects you from car wrecks, shootings, stabbings, fires, and natural disasters (hilarious, I know!). The garments also have four symbols on them, one on each nipple, one on the navel and one on the right thigh, I don't know what they exactly mean, but I think they're Masonic symbols.

ReputationRep:
    The "special underpants" represent the garments that were worn by Adam and Eve after they ate from the Tree. The garments are supposed to protect the wearer from evil, but many wearers have testified that it protects you from car wrecks, shootings, stabbings, fires, and natural disasters (hilarious, I know!). The garments also have four symbols on them, one on each nipple, one on the navel and one on the right thigh, I don't know what they exactly mean, but I think they're Masonic symbols.

lol mate i just answered in the sensible way..you've gone and given the twisted/lie version

ReputationRep:
    The word mormon puts a picture of a small, furry mammal in my head for some reason...

lol mate i just answered in the sensible way..you've gone and given the twisted/lie version
    Really? I'm certain that the protection from evil and sin part and them being based on Adam and Eve is true, because this is what my parents have said. But the other stuff, yeah, they're likely to be wrong (to be fair, those were based on other things that I read. Not anti-Mormon literature, mind)

EDIT: Read an earlier post where you mention the underwear. I really didn't know that! You've out-Mormoned me :p:

(Original post by channy)
    The word mormon puts a picture of a small, furry mammal in my head for some reason...
    Moomins?

ReputationRep:
    Moomins?

Moomins don't appear to be furry to me tho

The sum total of what I know about Mormonism is from this article about Mormonism/Twilight (including that picture of the snazzy underwear!):

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html

And the awesome scene in Black Books when Bernard's trying to do his tax return and keeps procrastinating. The Mormons turn up at his door... and he invites them in. (I'm making assumptions here, I suppose they could be of a different faith. They look remarkably similar to the Mormons that came round our estate a coupla years ago. Fighting a losing battle tho, it's predominantly Church of Scotland around here.) I wish I could find a video clip, but, alas, no.

(Original post by missimpossible)
    Moomins don't appear to be furry to me tho

The sum total of what I know about Mormonism is from this article about Mormonism/Twilight (including that picture of the snazzy underwear!):

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html

And the awesome scene in Black Books when Bernard's trying to do his tax return and keeps procrastinating. The Mormons turn up at his door... and he invites them in. (I'm making assumptions here, I suppose they could be of a different faith. They look remarkably similar to the Mormons that came round our estate a coupla years ago. Fighting a losing battle tho, it's predominantly Church of Scotland around here.) I wish I could find a video clip, but, alas, no.
    Haha, I know what you're talking about! I think it's the very first episode (sorry, I'm a Black Books geek ) - he invites them in order to distract himself from the accounts, and he ends up getting drunk with them. They come back at the end but run away because they see Manny and think he's the Messiah!

Yeah, I think they're were meant to be Mormons. I agree with what you said about missionaries fighting a loosing battle. The whole concept of going on a mission was one of the reasons why I left the church. It's a waste of two years, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I know what you're talking about! I think it's the very first episode (sorry, I'm a Black Books geek ) - he invites them in order to distract himself from the accounts, and he ends up getting drunk with them. They come back at the end but run away because they see Manny and think he's the Messiah!

Yeah, I think they're were meant to be Mormons. I agree with what you said about missionaries fighting a loosing battle. The whole concept of going on a mission was one of the reasons why I left the church. It's a waste of two years, I think.
    It is, because he hires Manny to help him do his tax and all that stuff. Black Books is immense never fails to make me laugh, especially the first series. (Half ten? Half ten? I've never been up at half ten before, what happens?)

I can imagine you could probably find more interesting things to do with your time :P:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.