Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were J witnesses, but black books is great.
    I'd rep you guys but it means nothing.
    (Millwall Millwall you're all really dreadful, and all your wives are alienated and unfulfilled *punches*)

P.S. which one of-you-*****es wants to dance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Because the world wasn't ready to have the preisthood on the earth
    So jesus' visit was utterly pointless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    So I've been reading through the past threads about mormonism and have found that many people don't really understand what it is.

So this is aimed to be the first "ask a Mormon thread" for TSR.

Any questions, comments, debates - put them here.
    Hi,

It's my understanding (please correctly if I am wrong) that Joseph Smith was visited by the angel Moroni- what do you think of the fact that the Bible strongly warns against the devil masquerading as the angel of light, which seems to fit Smith's description of Moroni?

Extract taken from Joseph Smith's testimony, taken from my Book of Mormon:

"While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was brighter than noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor.

"He had a loose robe of exquisite whiteness. It was a whiteness beyond anything earthly I had ever seen' nor do I believe any earthly thing could be made to appear so brilliant...

..."Not only was his robe exceedingly white, but his whole person was glorious beyond description, and his countenance truly like lightening. The room was exceedingly light, but not so very bright as immediately round his person..."

2 Corinthians 11:14:
    14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    There is no ban on blood transfusions - you are confusing mormonism with Jehovah's Witnesses.
    My bad.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Ok, the Book of Mormon, and the founder (who's name escapes me).

I realise that religion in general is always shaky, but this is a fairly weak basis for starting a faith is it not? This gentleman finds this book, didn't he hide it away and never let anyone else see it? (My history may be wrong). Its pretty easy to decry the entire religion as a farce IF this is true, and IF he made up the story (as is fairly likely if you look at it rom a view without using your faith. Imagine I claimed to have discovered evidence Jesus came to Britain and really wants us all to walk around naked etc).
    Keeping this in sight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)

Now onto south park, it was a while ago I watched it but the following happens in that episode:

Joseph Smith found some long lost religious teachings showing Jesus had been to America.
    He then managed to read what these things said (using "se-re stones") and translated the teachings into English(I erm, think? into another language anyway).
    Then he lent them to a publicised, who asked him to recite the teachings to him.
    The reply was "God is now very angry at me for lending you the translations and has asked me instead to read from another book, so the story will be the same but slightly different as it's from someone else's perspective".

Now i'm sure most of that will be B.S. but, I obviously don't know in what way, if you could clarify the events for me I'd be grateful .
    This never really got answered properly (not that that's anyone's fault) but if someone could give me an explanation? please ?

ReputationRep:
    This never really got answered properly (not that that's anyone's fault) but if someone could give me an explanation? please ?
    in these threads the best questions always go unanswered.
    theres no pressure to answer, like on question time if someone is asked an awkward question there is alot of pressure to answer, whilst on tsr you can just ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    in these threads the best questions always go unanswered.
    theres no pressure to answer, like on question time if someone is asked an awkward question there is alot of pressure to answer, whilst on tsr you can just ignore it.
    Actually I think it was just the people who will be able to answer this haven't been able to read it from all the responses, so I thought reposting it would draw their attention to it so they do have a chance to answer it. But in most cases you're right, they best questions are often ignored .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    What were the students like? They have a rather strict Honour Code (although I don't know how much that was a reflection of cultural expectations, instead of their Mormonism).
    They were some of the most straight-laced and boring people I have ever met. Their idea of rebellion and fun is a chilli-dog and a slush puppy from a 7/11 gas station. Seriously though, very nice people, but dreadfully boring.

I used to hang out with a small crowd of boozy jack mormons myself. They were nice people too. But real extremists; I suppose that after many years of being raised so religiously that when these people do rebel, they do it big time. Big drinkers, smokers, gamblers, etc.

There's two extremes to Mormonism in Provo - there's Brigham Young University students at one extreme and there Atchafalaya's Bar on Center St with it's jack mormon pirate inhabitants at the other. Needless to say, the two do not mix.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the law on polygamy (multiple husbands OR wives Or both) should be in the UK? Quote a reply please.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the law on polygamy (multiple husbands OR wives Or both) should be in the UK? Quote a reply please.

mormons are againts polyandry and polygamy in all forms, especially adultery.

ReputationRep:
    mormons are againts polyandry and polygamy in all forms, especially adultery.
    ... what?

Do you mean the official Mormon church or 100% of Mormons? I'm pretty sure that there are a few Mormans who are for multiple wives, although its less for multiple husbands or 'group marriges'. I know its not the majority view however.

ReputationRep:
    ... what?

Do you mean the official Mormon church or 100% of Mormons? I'm pretty sure that there are a few Mormans who are for multiple wives, although its less for multiple husbands or 'group marriges'. I know its not the majority view however.

they're not classed as offical members of the church, and the church condones and will excommunicate anyone who pratices it

ReputationRep:
    *condemns.

But that's interesting and certainly news to me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    *condemns.

But that's interesting and certainly news to me. Thanks.

tbh not many people still believe that mormons are polygamists...

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll tell you why I ask. I'm involved in the model house of commons on this site, and was thinking about writing a bill on marrige. Polygamy came to mind.

As I said above, I knew the majority was against it or at least didn't practice it. But I just wanted to know what the official position was, since historically Mormonism has been associated with polygamy and therefore it seemed a sensible place to ask.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll tell you why I ask. I'm involved in the model house of commons on this site, and was thinking about writing a bill on marrige. Polygamy came to mind.

As I said above, I knew the majority was against it or at least didn't practice it. But I just wanted to know what the official position was, since historically Mormonism has been associated with polygamy and therefore it seemed a sensible place to ask.

Thanks for your help.
    Mormons believe strongly in upholding the laws of the land. Polygamy is illegal and there is one reason why it is not practiced. Polygamy did exist in Mormon communities prior to 1890 - Brigham Young (the Second prophet) did have 17 wives. Since 1890 however, Polygamy has not been acceptable but is still being practiced by breakaway groups like the FLDS (fundamentalist church of latter day saints).

Official position is no no no

ReputationRep:
    You must associate with people who are more educated than the average joe.

ReputationRep:
    Joseph Smith was not a well educated man. As openly admitted by his wife, he did not have the academic capability to translate a book from ancient hieroglyphics, nor to even write a book like the Book of Mormon from scratch. He could only translate the plates because he had received inspiration from Heavenly Father.

The plates were sacred, just like Moses' experience with the burning bush - it was something that could only be revealed to him.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have a question.

Do you not consider yourself to be Christian, seeing as you need a separate "Ask a...." thread to the "Ask a Christian" thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Mormons believe strongly in upholding the laws of the land. Polygamy is illegal and there is one reason why it is not practiced. Polygamy did exist in Mormon communities prior to 1890 - Brigham Young (the Second prophet) did have 17 wives. Since 1890 however, Polygamy has not been acceptable but is still being practiced by breakaway groups like the FLDS (fundamentalist church of latter day saints).

Official position is no no no
    Thanks very much- I knew it was a small minority who practiced but this is very useful info

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.