Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    x
    You also missed my questions, back on Page 1. Here they are again:

" I guess the question I have to ask is, what passages in the Bible support the truthfulness of Joseph Smith as the final prophet, and of the Book of Mormon etc as God's final revelation?

Also, how do you reconcile that with the fact that the Bible claims to be complete and to be the final revelation? "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    I have a question.

Do you not consider yourself to be Christian, seeing as you need a separate "Ask a...." thread to the "Ask a Christian" thread?
    We consider ourselves Christians. - However I feel that there is too much misunderstanding about Mormonism along with other key disctinctions between our beliefs and the beliefs of other denominations. Imho it really needs a separate thread.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Oven)
    We consider ourselves Christians. - However I feel that there is too much misunderstanding about Mormonism along with other key disctinctions between our beliefs and the beliefs of other denominations. Imho it really needs a separate thread.
    What do you think makes Mormonism a denomination of Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    You also missed my questions, back on Page 1. Here they are again:

" I guess the question I have to ask is, what passages in the Bible support the truthfulness of Joseph Smith as the final prophet, and of the Book of Mormon etc as God's final revelation?

Also, how do you reconcile that with the fact that the Bible claims to be complete and to be the final revelation? "
    The only part of the bible that really claims that it is the final revelation is in, infact, the book of revelation. - Have you ever read this book? - We don't put too much of our faith into the book of revelation.

AFAIK there are no passages in the bible which talk about the coming of another prophet - I.e. Joseph Smith.

We do believe that after the last of Jesus' Apostles had died that there was no-one on earth who could receive revelation from God and therefore the gospel could not be taught in its fullness - we were in a time of apostasy and were until Joseph Smith.

Men tried their best to do the right thing and teach the gospel, and we have visible evidence of this in the form of multiple other Christian denominations - all of which are only based upon men's interpretations of the bible - not the revelation of God.

We believe that our church is the full restoration of the Gospel, the world was ready for another prophet and we had one in Joseph Smith(and still have a prophet today). For that reason, we believe that we are Christ's true church. - This of course not to say that people following other denominations have no way to heaven etc - we do still believe that there are multiple paths to eternal glory - just not celestial glory.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think makes Mormonism a denomination of Christianity?
    I think denomination is the wrong word, we believe ourselves to be the only true church of Christ.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Oven)
    I think denomination is the wrong word, we believe ourselves to be the only true church of Christ.
    So you believe other Churches who call themselves Christian are not actually Christian at all? What makes you Christian?

(Original post by Oven)
    x
    Where does the Mormon church stand on evolution? What do most of the members of the church think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    The only part of the bible that really claims that it is the final revelation is in, infact, the book of revelation. - Have you ever read this book? - We don't put too much of our faith into the book of revelation.
    Well actually I wasn't thinking of Revelation (Presumably you are refering to Rev 22:18), I was thinking more about the fact that the Bible presents the Gospel as complete and lasting for all time, and warns against people who try to add to the Gospel. For example:

Galatians 1:6-8
    I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel - which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

AFAIK there are no passages in the bible which talk about the coming of another prophet - I.e. Joseph Smith.
    In fact, the only time future prophets are mentioned in the New Testament are when we are warned about false prophets..

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why do you not trust the Book of Revelation but DO trust the Book of Mormon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Joseph Smith was not a well educated man. As openly admitted by his wife, he did not have the academic capability to translate a book from ancient hieroglyphics, nor to even write a book like the Book of Mormon from scratch. He could only translate the plates because he had received inspiration from Heavenly Father.

The plates were sacred, just like Moses' experience with the burning bush - it was something that could only be revealed to him.
    So with some inspiration he just translated a whole new chapter to the bible essentially (although that's only recognised by Mormons).

Are the teachings in these writings very different to the N.T?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    So with some inspiration he just translated a whole new chapter to the bible essentially (although that's only recognised by Mormons).

Are the teachings in these writings very different to the N.T?
    Read it. You can obtain a copy free. - Go to mormon.org and request one. - At least I think you can do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Read it. You can obtain a copy free. - Go to mormon.org and request one. - At least I think you can do that.
    I probably will at some point, although to be honest I didn't find the N.T. that interesting to read (apart from John, he was cool, nice and arrogant:p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    We don't put too much of our faith into the book of revelation.
    Is this true? I thought Mormons accepted the standard Protestant canon of the Bible, including Revelation?

I was thinking about the Galatians passage I just quoted. Seeing as according to Mormon tradition, the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and directed him to the plates that revealed an entrirely new Christianity, it seems that Paul's words here could be written exactly for this!

Galatians 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Is this true? I thought Mormons accepted the standard Protestant canon of the Bible, including Revelation?

I was thinking about the Galatians passage I just quoted. Seeing as according to Mormon tradition, the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and directed him to the plates that revealed an entrirely new Christianity, it seems that Paul's words here could be written exactly for this!

Galatians 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!
    It was not an Angel who initially revealed himself to Joseph Smith - It was infact God and Jesus.

We do accept the bible, but our feelings on it are that because it has been re-translated so many times, commas moved, phrases changed etc., its worth is not as great as the book of Mormon which has only been translated once. - This is of course not to say that we ignore the bible, because it is of course still of great importance to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Where does the Mormon church stand on evolution? What do most of the members of the church think?
    Comes down to opinion. Not many people literally believe that God created the world in 7 days. Many people's interpretation of it is that yes, the earth was created by God- but it occurred over eons, many also believe that evolution is and was all part of the design.

ReputationRep:
    So you believe other Churches who call themselves Christian are not actually Christian at all? What makes you Christian?
    No, we believe that other churches are also Christian - they just do not have the fullness of the gospel.

What makes us Christian?

Our belief in God
    Our belief in Jesus Christ
    Our belief that salvation can only come through Jesus Christ
    Our belief in Christ's second coming etc.

The only major difference between ourselves and most other Christians is the doctrine of the Trinity - we believe that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are three very distinct and separate beings (rather than all being essentially essentially the same thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    No, we believe that other churches are also Christian - they just do not have the fullness of the gospel.

What makes us Christian?

Our belief in God
    Our belief in Jesus Christ
    Our belief that salvation can only come through Jesus Christ
    Our belief in Christ's second coming etc.

The only major difference between ourselves and most other Christians is the doctrine of the Trinity - we believe that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are three very distinct and separate beings (rather than all being essentially essentially the same thing).
    Actually I'd say one of the criteria for being a Christian is believing that Jesus is God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhs08)
    Actually I'd say one of the criteria for being a Christian is believing that Jesus is God.
    Different individuals criterion all differ slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Different individuals criterion all differ slightly.
    I think that's a fairly important criteria for most Christians. However, obviously Mormonism is relatively new, plenty of time to adapt that traditional belief.

Not that 'belief in God' is technically unique to Christians, but that's just me being pedantic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    I think that's a fairly important criteria for most Christians. However, obviously Mormonism is relatively new, plenty of time to adapt that traditional belief.

Not that 'belief in God' is technically unique to Christians, but that's just me being pedantic
    Mormonism is the restoration of the original church, therefore not new

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.