Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at various courses at Glasgow, it said on the website:
    "Biomedical Sciences
    Degrees: BSc, MSci
    "

Which degree would be more desirable for biomed? Also, what is the difference? I'm possibly thinking of going to PhD level, but I don't really understand how the degree system works.

ReputationRep:
    Is it cheaper? lol.

ReputationRep:
    Msci is a masters, so thats an extra year after the original BSc. If you just want a degree, its better to do the BSc. If you want to go into research after, and If you're thinking of doing a PhD, its better to do the Msci. You could always apply do do the MSci, and then change you mind later on and just do the 3 year BSc.

It will be the same price as doing a BSc from the start if you change from the MSc to the Bsc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    Msci is a masters, so thats an extra year after the original BSc. If you just want a degree, its better to do the BSc. If you want to go into research after, and If you're thinking of doing a PhD, its better to do the Msci. You could always apply do do the MSci, and then change you mind later on and just do the 3 year BSc.

It will be the same price as doing a BSc from the start if you change from the MSc to the Bsc.
    Oh, I get it now. It's like the undergrad and postgrad merged, right? I think I might just go for the Msci, it wouldn't make much difference if I went the Bsc route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Oh, I get it now. It's like the undergrad and postgrad merged, right? I think I might just go for the Msci, it wouldn't make much difference if I went the Bsc route.
    Yeah, its Bsc+Masters. Only extra difference could be entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's fine. Might end up doing it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The question is: do you want to do your Masters at the same place as your Bachelors? Personally I've opted for the MEcon course (MSci equiv.) but may switch to the BSc during the second year so I can do my Masters elsewhere (depend on how it goes, really).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    As others have said, it's easier to get funding for a MSci and then drop a year to go onto the BSc than it is to have funding arranged for a BSc and then try and add on an extra year of it for the MSci. Also, MSci degrees are intended for people who want to do that specific subject professionally or go onto further study (i.e. PhD) in that subject area, so to be honest it sounds like the course you want to apply for is the MSci.

ReputationRep:
    Okies, I'd like to go into the sorta Forensics side, or pharmacy side. For forensics, I was told to not pick a "forensic studies" degree, but in fact pick a science, then get a PhD in that, then go into forensics specialized in that subject, which will either be biology or chemistry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.