Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there's another thread on it near the top but I have a few questions!

My mate today said he got a job but was on this allowance where he got £100 every 2 weeks for simply signing on and genuinely making an effort to look for a job. It was only then I thought why not go for it myself? I am genuinely looking for a job and at the same time if I don't get one, getting lets say £100 every 2 weeks for doing almost nothing ... it almost feels crazy not to take the option up. I wouldn't say I'm scraping for pennies, but why not make some more cash if it's there?

But then there's the whole dole thing, and claiming benefits and in a way taking advantage of it? My mum tells me my dad has always said he never took it because of pride or something.

Basically, I'm not sure what it's all about ... is it bad or something? If you tell someone you're on this JSA do they have a bad opinion of you or something? It's not like it's going on booze or ****, ideally I'd be saving the money towards Uni. Is this bad of me or something? Like I said I don't know much about this at all, but something tells me there is a bad stigma attached.

Educate me on this please :love:

ReputationRep:
    If it's being offered, take it. You'll probably contribute hundreds of times more in tax; might as well get the compensation whilst you can.

Just don't let it get you into a rut.

Anyway, why would you ever have to tell anyone what benefits you were receiving? That's private information.

ReputationRep:
    Get me into what type of rut?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Id agree with lib. Its your buisness and what its there for. As long as you dont lie or anything to get it, no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm claiming JSA at the moment. Why not? I worked for 5 years, paid tax and NI, and then got made redundant. So why shouldn't I take some money back while I look for a job? That's what it's there for.

ReputationRep:
    True ... but still I smell a stigma ... please spill the beans. I really should know about this but I don't.

Also why would my dad be aginst it in relation to his pride? I don't want it to be a case of lowering your standards or something.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care so much? Lots of narrow-minded people think it shows some kind of weakness. I don't care though. I get £200 a month for doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested. Looks like I'll have to trawl through bleddy Google.

ReputationRep:
    Because essentially it is taking hand-outs rather than fending for yourself. But it is there for the unemployed, so if you can get it without lying then why shouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    So how come every student in this country isn't taking advantage of this? I mean, I only properly found out about it today, I don't think I can ever remember any person my age saying something about this.

ReputationRep:
    While your dad claims it was pride that stopped him claiming, my initial reaction to that is that he probably didn't need it as much as others. I would think the majority of people who use the system for proper reasons, actually depend on the money.

Just to clarify, this isn't meant to offend. Merely to point out that if he really needed it, he probably wouldn't let pride get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    So how come every student in this country isn't taking advantage of this? I mean, I only properly found out about it today, I don't think I can ever remember any person my age saying something about this.

Pretty sure students can't claim.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and going Uni this summer, finished with 6th form etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so you're not a student right now. You can't claim it in the summers between uni years.

ReputationRep:
    ********!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I claim JSA. I have looked and looked for jobs and applied everywhere to no avail. So **** it, sign on that and get free money. Not bad. And I am also going to uni this septemeber but I never told them that lol. The pride part is probably because he sees everyone that claims as lowlifes (which don't get me wrong, all they junkies claim as well so he might have a point) so he did not want to be devalued to their standard if that makes sense. But any money there is more decent people out their claiming than you and me.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who says they don't want to claim because of pride is probably a bit of a snob tbh. And like somebody said, clearly doesn't need the money that badly!

ReputationRep:
    Oh does Uni make a difference does it, how come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Anybody who says they don't want to claim because of pride is probably a bit of a snob tbh. And like somebody said, clearly doesn't need the money that badly!
    My mum just let me know along those lines ... my dad ain't a snob.

I'm feeling like Siavash on BB now!

ReputationRep:
    Most people on job seekers allowance tend to make up the jobs they're looking for, which defeats the whole purpose. So if you're genuinely looking for a job go for it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.