Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I work in retail, do a 5 hour shift and dont get a single break, is that legal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    be thankfull for your job as im about to loose mine wooooo

ReputationRep:
    Woah...seriously?? Ok what happens if you need to pee? Or your a girl on your reds? There must be some allowance for that?!

ReputationRep:
    5 hours!?!?!? Each Christmas I end up working ridiculous hours (think 5.30am - 8.30pm) and get a standing up lunch break for 15 minutes. Good fun though :P:

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes work from 07:00AM - 15:30 PM with no breaks, in a job much more tiring than retail, and I manage that just fine.

Maybe that actually is illegal, but I really don't care as long as I get paid.

EDIT: I see now that I've been totally outdone by the post above

ReputationRep:
    Legal im afraid. In my old job i got a 20 min break for that shift though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    Hi

basically i work in retail in a well known clothing store.

I work 5 hours on saturday (9am-2pm) and 5 hours on sunday (12am-5pm)

basically on both sat and sun i dont get a single break and have to work 5 hours straight with no break.

I asked the manager and she said that because i am 18, if i am working 5 hours or less they do not have to give me a break at all, its only if i am working 6 hours i will be entitled to a break, but a friend of mine told me that by law i am entitled to a 15 minute break if i am working 5 hours straight regardless of age

Can anyone shed some light?

Should i be getting a 15 minute break, or is what they are doing perfectly within the law.
    Yeh its perfectly legal. Heh, try doing a 16hr shift with no break in a swelteringly hot kitchen by uour self? now thats what I call harsh. (yes i did a 16 hour shift whilst working as a chef.) its a hard life girl live with it.

ReputationRep:
    Its legal.
    Try doing 7 hrs in a busy restaurant, with only a ten minute break and you get the break after the first 2 hrs when you arent tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Me too, i do like 10 hour shifts with just one 30 minute break and can be doing 5pm until 4am, and then coming back at 12.30pm to do another shift.
    That's a big no no, you need 11 hours between shifts (so while you may not complain, the employment inspectors probs wouldnt be too keen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna Cannon)
    Yeh its perfectly legal. Heh, try doing a 16hr shift with no break in a swelteringly hot kitchen by uour self? now thats what I call harsh. (yes i did a 16 hour shift whilst working as a chef.) its a hard life girl live with it.
    wow that is hard and my dad could totally understand hes a chef and he does 10-12 hours everyday in a hot kitchen. I feel sorry for him went its the summer or when he fasts during Ramadhan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    wow that is hard and my dad could totally understand hes a chef and he does 10-12 hours everyday in a hot kitchen. I feel sorry for him went its the summer or when he fasts during Ramadhan.
    Yeah I would feel for him to, after when i was working as chef, but I guess its so much harder woeking around food when your fasting too.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Sucks to be OP. Where I work you get a 15 minute break on a 4-5 hour shift, 30 minutes on a 6-8 hour shift, 30+15 minutes on a 9-11 hour shift, 30+15+15 on a 12 hour shift, and so on. You get more on top of this if you're under 18 (which I won't be in a few days, goddammit).

ReputationRep:
    Wow, five hours! How do you manage? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    just go sit on the toilet for 10 mins and play on your phone theres your break

ReputationRep:
    Where I work we get 15mins for a 5 hour shift and 10mins for a 4 hour shift.

Why are people acting like the OP is complaining about this? All I see is her asking a question after being told two different things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Woah...seriously?? Ok what happens if you need to pee? Or your a girl on your reds? There must be some allowance for that?!
    Uh, yeah, you're allowed to go the toilet any time you like, that doesn't count as a break since it's a basic unignorable bodily function.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Five hours isn't that bad! I used to do seven or eight hour bar shifts without a break!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't working in retail often like a continuous break? :awesome:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Isn't working in retail often like a continuous break? :awesome:
    If it wasn't mind-numbingly boring and (depending on what you do) physically tiring, I'd probably say yes :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    If it wasn't mind-numbingly boring and (depending on what you do) physically tiring, I'd probably say yes :p:
    Lol I figured. I swear the only reason most shop attendants talk to you is cause their so bored and feel they should be doing some work. It will be more busy on the weekend of course, but during the week they just tend to stand around aimlessly :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not legal are all you people crazy?

If you work more than 4 hours. You're entitled to between 15-30min break. Depending on how much longer than 4 hours you're working.

If you work more than 6 hours. You're entitled to between 1hr-1h.30min. Again, depending on how much longer than the 6 hours you're working.

That is according to my employers in retail anyways.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.