Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So is NatWest the best bank to go with for students? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The free 16-25 Railcard is very appealing.

Do any of the other banks offer good freebies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    The free 16-25 Railcard is very appealing.

Do any of the other banks offer good freebies?
    You only get 1/3 off the initial price with that rail card, I'm afraid to say, otherwise that freebie would have been quite awesome and a STEAL to have free travel. - I think I'd go to London a lot more. You also get a USB as well if you open the account on-line.

But yeah, Natwest are the only banking group who offer if anything, decent freebies with student accounts.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JonathanNorth)
    You only get 1/3 off the initial price with that rail card, I'm afraid to say, otherwise that freebie would have been quite awesome and a STEAL to have free travel. - I think I'd go to London a lot more. You also get a USB as well if you open the account on-line.
    What do you mean? :lolwut:

The website says it's completely free.

ReputationRep:
    Halifax offer the largest possible overdraft for first years (£3000). Money Saving Expert recommends them, over those that offer crappy freebies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Natwest now and i'll be opening a Student account with them nearer September, so yeah, I've heard from others that Natwest is the top choice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When can I apply for one, when my offer becomes unconditional?

ReputationRep:

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/pe...LC-HPRailCdBnr

Sorry to disappoint, I thought this myself as well. It is still a good offer and you save if you travel by rail a lot.

If you have a valid UCAS number I think you can open one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1/3 off rail fares for five years is what a 16-25 Railcard is... but you'd normally have to pay £26 for one, and NatWest gives you one free.

Although that Halifax account is appealing.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to disappoint, I thought this myself as well. It is still a good offer and you save if you travel by rail a lot.

Stop confusing him. Why the hell would they give out a card that gives people free rail travel - thats just stupid, even kids don't travel free. Its a fantastic card, which in a lot of cases pays for itself after one or two journeys.

The railcard is free, they send it to you in the post. The railcard gives you 1/3rd of regular train fares. It would usually cost, I believe £20 per year.

EDIT: You would probably make more money putting the extra £1000 from Halifax in a ISA than from the railcard.

ReputationRep:

But the railcard is free whereas normally you have to pay like £25.

Edit: Beaten!

ReputationRep:

But yeah, Natwest are the only banking group who offer if anything, decent freebies with student accounts.
    But the cards you usually have to pay for. Natwest are giving the cards that entitle you to a third off travel. Therefore, the cards themselves are the freebie.

I think that's what the OP is getting at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
    But the cards you usually have to pay for. Natwest are giving the cards that entitle you to a third off travel. Therefore, the cards themselves are the freebie.

I think that's what the OP is getting at.
    Oh sorry, I was under the impression you believed that you would get free travel with the cards. Now wouldn't that awesome?

ReputationRep:
    I have a natwest account, they gave me the full overdraft even though i had a rubbish credit raiting. I have now paid it all back though

But seriosuly with halifax why oh why would you need a £3,000 overdraft...if you spent all that you would never ever pay it off. Only an idiot would take that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staygoldd)
    Halifax offer the largest possible overdraft for first years (£3000). Money Saving Expert recommends them, over those that offer crappy freebies.
    You don't automatically qualify for the £3000. Most people I know have got between £500-1000 from Halifax, depending on the individual's financial circumstances. Whereas with Natwest, you get the £1250 straight away in first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    I'm with Natwest now and i'll be opening a Student account with them nearer September, so yeah, I've heard from others that Natwest is the top choice.
    Also, Natwest pretty much have a branch in most student unions which is convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry, I was under the impression you believed that you would get free travel with the cards. Now wouldn't that awesome?
    Natwest would have my money!

ReputationRep:

The card itself is free, I got one last year when I opened my student account and have just recieved my second one which is valid from the end of this month.

The card will entitle you to a third off your rail tickets. I've never used my as I don't travel home by rail as it costs a fortune even with my discount from the card as I live in the countryside lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by echo_magic)
    I have a natwest account, they gave me the full overdraft even though i had a rubbish credit raiting. I have now paid it all back though

But seriosuly with halifax why oh why would you need a £3,000 overdraft...if you spent all that you would never ever pay it off. Only an idiot would take that out.
    Right so because they can potentially give you 3000 it means youre gonna spend it all?

Halifax gave me 1000 initially then boosted it up to 1500. I think there account makes sense. Basically you start with a grand or so but if you have an ok credit rating and can justify it to your branch person they'll put it up. It makes you think about it more rather than just spending tonnes.

You can just buy the young persons railcard for about £20 so its hardly a good freebie I'd much rather have a large overdraft in case anything happens. I think the best thing to do is get a credit card and a student account seperately if you are organised. Use your credit card then pay it off with your loan/overdraft and you'll get your credit rating up easier.

ReputationRep:
    ive been with Natwest nearly 6 years and never had a issue...they are great and because i aint going to uni they upgraded my account to current plus with ad blue so i still get the rail card and mobile phone insurance and 2 for 1 cinema tickets for just under 7 quid a month!

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.