Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't people who wear the keffiyeh as a fashion statement annoy the hell out of you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My brother wears one. He has no idea that it symbolises Palestinian nationalism. It just gets to me how people always jump on the bandwagon.

ReputationRep:
    Keffiyeh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    Keffiyeh?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    My brother wears one. He has no idea that it symbolises Palestinian nationalism. It just gets to me how people always jump on the bandwagon.
    100% agree. It's lost its original meaning. It's now only for posers.

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't even remotely annoy me.

Maybe this a bit of a pointless post, but it sort of strikes me as the sort of thing which is of no importance whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Whats more annoying is when someone starts a topic about something somewhat unusual but provides no explanation as to what the subject is. Would it have killed you to post a picture, or a wikipedia link?
    Edit: Having found out what it is, yes I imagine such people would annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel)
    Whats more annoying is when someone starts a topic about something somewhat unusual
    I genuinely didn't believe that it was not widely known. Everybody I know calls it a keffiyeh and everybody knows what it is. I wouldn't know what else to call it.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. The world doesn't revolve around the Palestinians, as some would have you believe.

ReputationRep:
    It's more commonly known as an Arab scarf or a shemagh. It's not as commonly known as the keffiyeh.

I wear it for both reasons: it looks cool and it raises awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Who actually wears this thing, anyway? It's kind of the fashion statement of the angsty teenage emo.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fully aware of and agree with all the political implications, am I alright?

ReputationRep:
    Very annoying when they act like its cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    No, not really. The world doesn't revolve around the Palestinians, as some would have you believe.
    uh but it's there's.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    uh but it's there's.......
    There are many fashion items which stem from other cultures.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.