Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University withholding progression confirmation because of my alleged 'cyberthreats' watch

Keep anon or delete please.

I got an email today to my university inbox saying I cannot get confirmation of my progression into the next year because of threats I have supposedly made using my university email account.

I know I have passed my modules as I got the breakdown of scores in the post. But they are referring to a series of emails exchanged between myself and the head of a society.

This society's leader literally SPAMS my inbox every single day with details of the most boring events ever (yeh that's right kids, be VERY careful which societies you join). Every single day, without fail. I have tried unsubscribing so many times, but it just won't work! So I got rather fed up a few weeks ago and send this message to him:

Send me one more email and I SWEAR to god I will track you down and disconnect you from the privilege of the internet, or even worse. UN-SUB-SCRIBE ME PLEASE. I have tried unsubscribing *SO* many times, I think it's time YOU did it for me. You.are.driving.me.to.the.edge. I have not killed before, so don't pre-empt me!
    Would you honestly say this is making threats? It was clearly light hearted but a stern way of putting my point across. He should have un-subscribed me months ago. I am sick of it.

Now this is really getting me down, I am so worried about not progressing/getting kicked out for abusing the email system, supposedly. What can I do to prove I am in the right?

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd admit you were in the wrong and annoyed because they wouldn't unsubscribe you.

It's obvious that it isn't meant in seriousness, but at the same time there are enough comments so as to put you in serious trouble if taken literally (even if it isn't meant that way).

Apologising and explaining the situation would probably be seen in a good light. Hopefully they won't put too much against you, a little society dispute should never be brought into academic progression in my opinion. Nip it in the bud ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    Dont send emails with the word 'kill' in them. Seriously. I can't believe the guy reported the email, he must really hate you. Best thing to do is ease it up with him, so he can tell the uni it was all a joke. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Kill the guy and delete everything in his e mail account. That way they will have no evidence...

(Original post by Svenjamin)
    If I were you I'd admit you were in the wrong and annoyed because they wouldn't unsubscribe you.

It's obvious that it isn't meant in seriousness, but at the same time there are enough comments so as to put you in serious trouble if taken literally (even if it isn't meant that way).

Apologising and explaining the situation would probably be seen in a good light. Hopefully they won't put too much against you, a little society dispute should never be brought into academic progression in my opinion. Nip it in the bud ASAP!
    It doesn't help that he is the head of the Theology Society! He is being such a pussy over it, taking a jokey death threat so seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Dont send emails with the word 'kill' in them
    This, really. Universities generally take this kind of stuff very seriously.

You need to be aware - and everyone needs - that university is also about some sort of "intellectual maturity". I had 3 guys in my year who founded some sort of KKK-like club. It was totally for ***** and giggles (yeah, I know the joke has been in a bad taste, but nonetheless). They had some sort of stupid name like CCC something-something-Coons if I remember well, and they had some childish and dumb rules they've printed out and hung in their rooms, like "Everyone must kick at least 1 Black person a day" - even though I'm pretty sure they haven't meant to harm anyone or actually hit anyone, I've felt they were more tasting the "forbidden fruit" and getting excitement from doing something that's "bad".

So, yeah - someone found out, someone informed the campus authorities and guys were expelled from uni the same day :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It doesn't help that he is the head of the Theology Society! He is being such a pussy over it, taking a jokey death threat so seriously.
    Explain to them it was just one email, you've never physically threatened him in the past and this is one slip up. However extreme the email may be, it was due to exasperation at how he ignored your requests to unsubscribe. You're extremely sorry it ever got to this level, but your actions were regrettable and never led to anything further.

With luck the uni's just being firm rather and trying to stress you out rather than kick you off the course. There's no real reason to kick you off the course because of one single email if you haven't had a history of violence. You're pretty much at the mercy of their whim, but acting as remorseful as possible is all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    I think the important question here is:

"Why the hell did you sign up for the theology society?!"

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. You'll have to really convince them that day was just a baaad day.

ReputationRep:
    You were:

1) Incredibly drunk
    2) Upset after a breakup with girlfriend or boyfriend
    3) Having a bad day because the condom broke, or something equally devestating (dropped a watermelon)
    4) felt like he was ignoring your unsubscribe requests and therefore HE was harassing YOU

You went cyber postal because you were very annoyed, you are very sorry and did not intend for the email to be taken seriously as a threat, instead light heart and intelligent humour.

If the University don't accept that, tell them to DIE in an angry email, with a picture of you holding a meat cleaver, a butternut squash and a tube of KY Jelly or any other lube you see fit.

Hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    But did he unsubscribe you after that email OP?

ReputationRep:
    It's only an e-mail. You were in the wrong. I dont see how an e-mail can annoy you so much.

I get spammed alot and dont care care. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    This, really. Universities generally take this kind of stuff very seriously.

You need to be aware - and everyone needs - that university is also about some sort of "intellectual maturity". I had 3 guys in my year who founded some sort of KKK-like club. It was totally for ***** and giggles (yeah, I know the joke has been in a bad taste, but nonetheless). They had some sort of stupid name like CCC something-something-Coons if I remember well, and they had some childish and dumb rules they've printed out and hung in their rooms, like "Everyone must kick at least 1 Black person a day" - even though I'm pretty sure they haven't meant to harm anyone or actually hit anyone, I've felt they were more tasting the "forbidden fruit" and getting excitement from doing something that's "bad".

So, yeah - someone found out, someone informed the campus authorities and guys were expelled from uni the same day :eek:
    They should have tried affiliating it to the Union. That'd have been really hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Kill him before he kills you.

ReputationRep:
    Who's laughing now?

Never resort to violence or threats - it's a fools game.

ReputationRep:
    Go speak to the computing services people, explain what happened. They will almost certainly have control over the system to sufficient extent as to block emails to your account from him, not to mention they'll probably give him a strict warning for the circulation of spam. Just come clean and try to laugh about it with the people in the office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    You were:

1) Incredibly drunk
    2) Upset after a breakup with girlfriend or boyfriend
    3) Having a bad day because the condom broke, or something equally devestating (dropped a watermelon)
    4) felt like he was ignoring your unsubscribe requests and therefore HE was harassing YOU

You went cyber postal because you were very annoyed, you are very sorry and did not intend for the email to be taken seriously as a threat, instead light heart and intelligent humour.

If the University don't accept that, tell them to DIE in an angry email, with a picture of you holding a meat cleaver, a butternut squash and a tube of KY Jelly or any other lube you see fit.

Hope it all works out
    O **** a watermelon, I've done that before

ReputationRep:
    Try to ring someone up and just explain it to them, but on a different note you actually joined a society? And of all the societies the Theological society?!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: That level of immaturity and stupidity deserves this. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon or delete please.

I got an email today to my university inbox saying I cannot get confirmation of my progression into the next year because of threats I have supposedly made using my university email account.

I know I have passed my modules as I got the breakdown of scores in the post. But they are referring to a series of emails exchanged between myself and the head of a society.

This society's leader literally SPAMS my inbox every single day with details of the most boring events ever (yeh that's right kids, be VERY careful which societies you join). Every single day, without fail. I have tried unsubscribing so many times, but it just won't work! So I got rather fed up a few weeks ago and send this message to him:

Would you honestly say this is making threats? It was clearly light hearted but a stern way of putting my point across. He should have un-subscribed me months ago. I am sick of it.

Now this is really getting me down, I am so worried about not progressing/getting kicked out for abusing the email system, supposedly. What can I do to prove I am in the right?
    bit of a ***** threat really. i woulda properly laid it out saying how i'd cut his ******* throat if he mailed me again. maybe the uni is punishing you for lack of backbone

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.