Turn on thread page Beta

University withholding progression confirmation because of my alleged 'cyberthreats' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was quite obvious you wasn't going to 'kill' him :rolleyes: and i have to say i laughed quite hard too lool sorry

i guess you have to apologize and make it sound like you really mean it,and maybe explain the annoying situation of getting so many emails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Dont send emails with the word 'kill' in them. Seriously. I can't believe the guy reported the email, he must really hate you. Best thing to do is ease it up with him, so he can tell the uni it was all a joke. Good luck
    we are talking student politics and student societies here , consequently all rational sense will go out of the window esp if the OP doesn't fit into a minority category and the Society chair in question does ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    You should have asked nicely or just blocked the email address. Nevertheless I doubt there is anything to worry about, the uni can't throw you out over something so trivial.
    they can and will , the alternative of course in this scenario is a criminal conviction .

or the university might not throw you out... just make it impossible for you to gain professional accreditation and registration ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Keep anon or delete please.

I got an email today to my university inbox saying I cannot get confirmation of my progression into the next year because of threats I have supposedly made using my university email account.

I know I have passed my modules as I got the breakdown of scores in the post. But they are referring to a series of emails exchanged between myself and the head of a society.

This society's leader literally SPAMS my inbox every single day with details of the most boring events ever (yeh that's right kids, be VERY careful which societies you join). Every single day, without fail. I have tried unsubscribing so many times, but it just won't work! So I got rather fed up a few weeks ago and send this message to him:

Would you honestly say this is making threats? It was clearly light hearted but a stern way of putting my point across. He should have un-subscribed me months ago. I am sick of it.

Now this is really getting me down, I am so worried about not progressing/getting kicked out for abusing the email system, supposedly. What can I do to prove I am in the right?
    Lol! Ok I know it's not funny and you didn't mean it but it sounds really bad lol. You should just explain to your parents and the uni and I'm sure nobody would actually believe that you were being serious if you explained. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Apologise and admit you shouldnt have sent the email, didnt mean what you said, wont abuse the system again etc

ReputationRep:
    Or you could say you couldn't remember the password as it's new so you wrote it down. Say you lost this piece of paper in town somewhere and someone else must be mucking around with it.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Say you were incredibly stressed that day and you regret it. Say you are sorry. I'll be surprised if that isn't the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    OP can use harassment in their defense. It is against the law not to provide an opt-out service to subscription emails, or to ignore/deny opt-outs. Google 'UK antispam law'.

http://www.out-law.com/page-3916

OP, just apologise and explain the situation as you did here.
    the OP joined the society therefore the mailings are not unsolicted ...

ReputationRep:
    But opt-out was not available. OP attempted to unsubscribe and his requests were ignored.
    doesn't forgive threats to kill

also assumes the OP followed the correct procedure to be unsubscribed ... which if it;s a mailing list with a proper mailing list management system isn't by threatening to kill a committee member, it's by sending the correct command to the correct address ...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Good luck OP, seems like a bit of a situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    It's only an e-mail. You were in the wrong. I dont see how an e-mail can annoy you so much.

I get spammed alot and dont care care. :eek:
    yeah all i do is put them in junk, so it goes there automatically and delete them all in one go every so often

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.