Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    to be judged by jury on an individual basis, such as the huntley murders.

The time for liberalism is OVER
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, ok; no.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    So, we find some murderers and we, er, murder them because of what they did.

How does that make us any better than them?

No thanks. I'm happy to live in a country without the death penalty as an option.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe not.

Sinking to their level? I'd leave if it came back in.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    So, we find some murderers and we, er, murder them because of what they did.
    It's not murder if it's lawful!

ReputationRep:
    Shipping them to Australia worked in the past.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think is worse a death penalty, or a real life sentence,where they don't actually get out again......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Shipping them to Australia worked in the past.
    But then Australia happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    what do you think is worse a death penalty, or a real life sentence,where they don't actually get out again......
    yeah but there costing us money by being in prison.
    How about making them work all day similar to the nazi concentration camps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    yeah but there costing us money by being in prison.
    How about making them work all day similar to the nazi concentration camps.
    The physchological fear of going to prison has increased so should decrease the number of criminals........

ReputationRep:
    Nah just make prisoners watch endless re-runs of the worst tv programme you can think of, unfortunately an example escapes my mind at this time.

ReputationRep:
    The effects of sentencing are supposed to be: (Example is rape)

Retribution: revenge on behalf of the victim - This would occur with the death penalty. A woman who has been raped, would she agree to a lowly prison sentence? In which he will enjoy the comforts of life, of being warm, being fed, having showers, conjugal rights, pretty much a hotel.

Rehabilitation: This will reform the prisoner - Although this can't be done with the death penalty in terms of him going back to normal life a changed man since he will be dead, the death penalty is only for serious crimes. Therefore, he will be in prison a long time anyway, his life will be ruined and he is most likely to reoffend. Even if it reforms him, he will still be placed on the sex offenders list. And which woman would want to see her attacker roaming the streets free?

Deterrence: Will prevent others from doing the same - I don't think prison is working with this one. This is why we have the problem of the filling up of prisons across the UK. People know they will get out eventually, and some sentences are too lenient for the crime. Death penalty would certainly be a deterrent. Although there is evidence to support otherwise such as America, I think it's because they don't feel the death. The people should be made to witness it, to show them this is what will happen.

Protection of society: He is locked away so he can't harm the community. - However:

70% of all offenders released in 1996 reoffended within 5 years
    Reconviction rates were higher for those who had served short prison sentences
    60% of those who served up to 12 months were reconvicted
    29% of those who served over 10 years were reconvicted
    85% of 14-16 year olds reoffended within 2 years
    74% of 17-20 year olds reoffended within 2 years
    76% of 20+ year olds reoffended within 2 years
    76% of burglars reoffend
    19% of sexual offenders reoffend

As soon as he gets out it is highly likely he will do it again. Death penalty would prevent that.

Reparation: Compensation for the family - This would happen with the death penalty. Knowing that you are safe from him who attacked you and he won't do it again. You can also be a bit safer with regards to society due to the huge deterrence.

Denunciation: Letting everybody know that society condemns it - What better way to show it than the death penalty? I understand that some think that prison is enough of a denunciation, but that is probably because it is understood as the main form of sentencing.

When the punishment is harsh, society remains safe.

Death penalty for extreme cases or when there's a certain conviction sure.

Or just effective life imprisonment with disgusting prison conditions which actually acts as a deterrent, instead of 7 years in relative luxury and security and then parole :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AustralAlien)
    Nah just make prisoners watch endless re-runs of the worst tv programme you can think of, unfortunately an example escapes my mind at this time.
    they probably enjoy it......:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Death Penalty in extreme cases should be considered. The prisons in the UK are like Halls of Residence.

ReputationRep:
    "Its where murder is justice that martyrs are made".
    We dont need the death penalty, theres countless reasons against it in my view.

ReputationRep:
    The death oenalty is contradictory-kill someone for killing someone? How is that humane? I couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    We need actual prisons. Hardcore community service also.

ReputationRep:
    The only way to stop murder

IS MORE MURDER

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.