Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chescaaa)
    I'm 50/50 about this. We're putting people in prison, and we are paying for them to be there. In prison inmates get things such as TV, snooker tables, their own money etc. They should be being punished, not rewarded. Also, life sentences do not mean imprisonment for life. Isn't it like, 25 years or something? When someone is charged for life, it should mean life. Death penalty is harsh, but maybe it would work. A downside to this however, would be that there would be nothing we could do if an innocent person was punished by being put on death row. There is always going to be people for and against this, whatever happens.
    One way of lessening the chance of someone ending up on death row who shouldn't be there is by focusing on why that happens. It happens normally at the evidence gathering stage. Which lies with the Police. We could look at not only having a system of appeals (although I feel death row periods in the the states are far too long) but having a seperate regional police force re- examine the evidence or having a special indepedent unit similar to the Police complaints authority to do this.

It is less likely to happen now with DNA however there has been cases such as Barry George (a nasty piece of work who was a sex offender but not a murderer) which does show what might happen if the death penalty was brought back.Police under pressure to collar someone, use a few dodgy methods to convict. An innocent man swings. That is the only argument against the death penalty , and I do believe with the right system it could be made void.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMinds)
    You were locked in your halls of residence? With restricted communication with people you love? You should report that to the police mate.

Oh wait, you were just being short sighted and didn't really think your answer through. Silly me.

I cannot be bothered to go into why I do not support the death penalty in great detail, however I think its a completely stupid idea to bring it back. Stop living in the past!
    It's clearly not in the past if the world's most advanced and democratic country uses it :yes: Silly me.

Your idea of UK prisons being a punishment because they are unable to communicate with their loved ones is beyond ridicule. :rofl: Prisoners themselves do not even see it as "tough" and they are the ones who have experience of this, not you. There was the case of the 2 guys imprisoned for the savage torture/murder of 2 french students and they simply were laughing in court, no doubt partially to do with the fact that their sentence wasn't "too bad" considering their crime.

Death Row is a just punishment for those most extreme cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    The death oenalty is contradictory-kill someone for killing someone? How is that humane? I couldn't do it.
    Diamond, my dear, cuts diamond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Yes it does.What do we do with a rabid or dangerous dog? we kill it .Why? for fun? No because the public need to be protected and feel safe. People who committ the worst crimes are in fact worse than rabid animals because they are in fact human beings and we expect a higher standard. The only ultimate option to remove a threat and for true justice for society is to make a few people (not all murders when we had hanging it was only the worst who swung) to swing from a rope.
    But they are human beings, not rabid dogs. They're not diseased, this is what rehabilitation is for. (and if not you can just lock them up for life and wait for nature to take its course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    But they are human beings, not rabid dogs. They're not diseased, this is what rehabilitation is for. (and if not you can just lock them up for life and wait for nature to take its course)
    We are not allowed to lock people up for natural life anymore , which is why the death penalty is popular amongst the general public.

We would not need it if politicians had done what they have promised when they got rid of the death penalty .Which was being able to sentence someone to natural life.No ifs or buts , you sit in a cell and rot, whether you find God or some social worker or nanny psychiatrist thinks you are reformed. If you don't want to do the time don't do the crime.

Because we cannot trust politicians to be true to their word to keep some very evil person inside prison, then the death penalty will always been popular with the public. And is really still relevant in this society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    We are not allowed to lock people up for natural life anymore , which is why the death penalty is popular amongst the general public.

We would not need it if politicians had done what they have promised when they got rid of the death penalty .Which was being able to sentence someone to natural life.No ifs or buts , you sit in a cell and rot, whether you find God or some social worker or nanny psychiatrist thinks you are reformed. If you don't want to do the time don't do the crime.

Because we cannot trust politicians to be true to their word to keep some very evil person inside prison, then the death penalty will always been popular with the public. And is really still relevant in this society.
    You get people with double/triple life sentences who really do spend their entire lives in jail.

America has proved that the death penalty is actually not that effective in preventing crime.

Capital punishment achieves neither rehabilitation nor deterrence and the purpose of our justice system is not vengeance.

If their were an economical way of dealing with criminals that would be brilliant, but since their isn't the best thing to do is try to prevent crime.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, hang the *******s

ReputationRep:
    If someone killed a member of my family, justice is them working until they have rectified the damage to society. Killing people doesn't help at all.
    Kill anyone in my family and you can expect to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Kill anyone in my family and you can expect to die.
    Is that a threat? :eyeball:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Is that a threat? :eyeball:

:p:
    The law courts are for weak people who need protecting. If anyone ***** with my family they can expect real justice and not just an eye for an eye i'd torture them to death and kill their kids in front of their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    The law courts are for weak people who need protecting. If anyone ***** with my family they can expect real justice and not just an eye for an eye i'd torture them to death and kill their kids in front of their eyes.
    Delightful. It's a good think I don't intend to '*****' with your family then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    It's clearly not in the past if the world's most advanced and democratic country uses it :yes: Silly me.

Your idea of UK prisons being a punishment because they are unable to communicate with their loved ones is beyond ridicule. :rofl: Prisoners themselves do not even see it as "tough" and they are the ones who have experience of this, not you. There was the case of the 2 guys imprisoned for the savage torture/murder of 2 french students and they simply were laughing in court, no doubt partially to do with the fact that their sentence wasn't "too bad" considering their crime.

Death Row is a just punishment for those most extreme cases.
    Yes, I must say I was talking in prisoners in general and not just those who commit crimes like the 2 French murders. However my point was that just because prisoners have access to television and other 'comforts' does not mean that it equates to being easy. I dunno I think people miss the point with it.

I think that my definition of advanced may differ from yours. Also not all of the most "advanced and democratic country in the world" has the death penatly, which shows that there is some disagreement on this issue- whether rightly or wrongly.

Also, I believe that your statement is highly assuming, which admitedly can be easy over the internet. How do you know my level of experience with prisons? I also think that the statement of "prisoners themselves do not see it as tough", is again highly assuming. Have you spoken to each of the prisoners about the state of the prison system, their personal sentences, and what effects this has on each aspect of their life? These are genuine questions, as you may have guessed, I don't like assumptions.

I agree in harsher penalties on almost all violent/personal offences. However the judicial system in the UK places financial crime above violent in terms of punishment. Which is a bit crap. I do not think we should have a say in whether people are killed or not, we would just be the same as those sick ******* who commit the violent crimes. I don't know about you, but I personally do not want to be associated in anyway shape or form with people who commit such awful crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    to be judged by jury on an individual basis, such as the huntley murders.

The time for liberalism is OVER
    If I was given the choice between LIFE imprisonment and death I'd chose death.

The death penalty is an easy way out. It puts them out of their misery.

ReputationRep:
    Easy tiger..

ReputationRep:
    No, the death penalty is outdated and flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    No, the death penalty is outdated and flawed.
    I'd say locking murderers up for 15 years then letting them free is a bit more flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I'd say locking murderers up for 15 years then letting them free is a bit more flawed.
    Doesn't mean we should sentence them to death.
    Do what they do in the states, make a life sentence for life. Or bring in hard labour, make prison systems tougher and more strict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    It is. The current system is flawed, but that doesn't make the other extreme correct. Real natural life imprisonment would be best.

Only for treason cases, and only when the proof of their guilt is irrefutable and infallible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Only for treason cases, and only when the proof of their guilt is irrefutable and infallible.
    How often is a defendant's guilt irrefutable and infallible?
    The truth is in so many cases it's no as clear cut as that, sending a person to their death would be illogical.

Especially if new evidence arises next month, next year, or in 20 years. At least he/she will be alive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.