Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biased CNN: I am sure all news coverage is wangled. what do you think? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't CNN covering the Unrest in China as it did in case of Iran's Elections?

Why aren't anybody trying all the 'tricks of trade' to get some news and pictures out of China? No tweeter here??

Or is the political/economical pressure from China is so strong to suppress the so called 'Free and Unbiased Press' which every other print media seems to be trotting out.

Is there really no one out there who wants to reveal the truth?

Maybe we have better things to do?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Most new coverage is wangled...what can you do?

It's all political

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Maybe we have better things to do?:confused:
    Right. I agree there are other things to do. But why only choose to talk, think, and do something about things that are not happening to us?

May be that's just 'Human' as it has been said for ages, and people agree so easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Switch over to Al Jazeera :top:
    Hahahahahahaha!

ReputationRep:
    I really like Fox News but i'm probably alone on that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by level_player)
    Why isn't CNN covering the Unrest in China as it did in case of Iran's Elections?

Why aren't anybody trying all the 'tricks of trade' to get some news and pictures out of China? No tweeter here??

Or is the political/economical pressure from China is so strong to suppress the so called 'Free and Unbiased Press' which every other print media seems to be trotting out.

The US networks were reluctant to give much coverage to the Iran protests initially. CNN which you mention, was particularly criticised. News organisations are supposed to report events and give analysis not continously campaign against governments.

See below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/bu...a/15cable.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by level_player)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_values

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)
    I really like Fox News but i'm probably alone on that one
    It's reasonably entertaining in short doses but I wouldn't believe anything reported by them, given their obvious bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sron)
    It's reasonably entertaining in short doses but I wouldn't believe anything reported by them, given their obvious bias.
    They are all biased, just in different directions. I love this video here where a CNN reporter is caught deliberately trying to mischaracterize the tea parties as some kind of right wing movement when there were just as many signs criticizing republicans.

ReputationRep:
    Biased propaganda from western media outlets is not news for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what time magazine is like in the UK, but I find it to be very fair lately, although this wasn't always the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    They are all biased, just in different directions. I love this video here where a CNN reporter is caught deliberately trying to mischaracterize the tea parties as some kind of right wing movement when there were just as many signs criticizing republicans.

Yeah I saw that, I was imploring the reporter to be unbiased but it seems that the US news channels, especially Fox and MSNBC have much more opinion that UK news channels. In fact, its nearly all opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    Yeah I saw that, I was imploring the reporter to be unbiased but it seems that the US news channels, especially Fox and MSNBC have much more opinion that UK news channels. In fact, its nearly all opinion.
    Yep, the talking heads in the U.S. just give their own opinions rather than let real journalism get in the way of things. Same on the left and the right, though the guys on the right are noticeably more unhinged and extreme.

Best news sources: BBC, Reuters, Al Jazeera (which people unfairly associate with terrorists).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sron)
    Yep, the talking heads in the U.S. just give their own opinions rather than let real journalism get in the way of things. Same on the left and the right, though the guys on the right are noticeably more unhinged and extreme.

Best news sources: BBC, Reuters, Al Jazeera (which people unfairly associate with terrorists).
    I guess it depends on what side of the pond you are on because both political parties in the US are to the right of whatever you have in your country. To me MSNBC is is twice as far left as fox is to the right. But I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I guess it depends on what side of the pond you are on because both political parties in the US are to the right of whatever you have in your country. To me MSNBC is is twice as far left as fox is to the right. But I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
    When I started following US politics I was surprised at the oversimplification of "left" and "right". Still, I disagree with you about MSNBC being twice as far left. You can't get more far right that Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and while Rachel Maddow might be "far left", I don't think that the other MSNBC presenters are that left.

In any case, I really dislike how the media in the US is. Do you know why US news networks are inherently more opinionated than UK ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    When I started following US politics I was surprised at the oversimplification of "left" and "right". Still, I disagree with you about MSNBC being twice as far left. You can't get more far right that Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and while Rachel Maddow might be "far left", I don't think that the other MSNBC presenters are that left.

In any case, I really dislike how the media in the US is. Do you know why US news networks are inherently more opinionated than UK ones?
    The US TV media only seems more opinionated than the UK ones. They just put their bias out there where the viewer can get a good strong whiff of the bull feces. With UK stations like BBC, it's a lot trickier because they play the same game as MSNBC but it's done with selective omission, distortion of facts, misleading definitions and terminology, lack of context, etc. "Impartiality lies at the heart of the BBC's commitment to its audiences" is the mantra we hear over and over again, but they are very similar to MSNBC.

I'd rather have a Rachel Maddow, a Keith Olbermann or a Sean Hannity come right out and make it clear that they are a biased political pundit than watch a station that claims to be impartial and then tries to trick me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.