Turn on thread page Beta

Please help!!I need your advice!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.I'm an Undergraduate mature student studying for a 2nd Undergraduate degree at University of Manchester Bsc Management.I started in 2007 my first year but due to bad performance and not following good strategy I failed in 4 modules.I had resits in September but unfortunately I failed.

I asked them back in September of 2008 to repeat my academic year by paying tuition fees again and be examined in all modules instead of them offering me the chance only to resit without attendance the 4 modules I failed.Finally they let me repeat the year by paying tuition fees.

This year I had very good performance and I passed all modules in my 1st semester and in the second although I tried too hard I failed in 2.I expected to resit them in September until I got an e-mail saying that this was my third attempt(!!!!) and not my first.They said that no more opportunity is given and that because of my good performance in 100 credits which is 10 modules out of the 12 they let me continue to the 2nd year of Ordinary degree!!!

My God since yesterday I feel terrible.I was to die.I sent her back an e-mail of course rejecting the offer for Ordinary degree and telling her all these.And of course that I have a degree from Greece with grade equivalent to 2.1 Hons degree.

Today I sent another one repeating these and asking again if anything can be done to resit in September.I told her that nobody informed me that I'd have no resits.Not even my personal tutor who never met me this year and didn't even sent me an e-mail about that.In extreme situation I told her I want to repeat this year for third time!!!!I'm ready for that sacrifice and pay the *******s again although I'm 26 years old.

Please guys what do you think?Is it possible people who repeat their year not to be able to resit in September???In the worst scenario may I have the chance to pay again fees and study my first year again??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rivaldo_23)
    Hi guys.I'm an Undergraduate mature student studying for a 2nd Undergraduate degree at University of Manchester Bsc Management.I started in 2007 my first year but due to bad performance and not following good strategy I failed in 4 modules.I had resits in September but unfortunately I failed.

I asked them back in September of 2008 to repeat my academic year by paying tuition fees again and be examined in all modules instead of them offering me the chance only to resit without attendance the 4 modules I failed.Finally they let me repeat the year by paying tuition fees.

This year I had very good performance and I passed all modules in my 1st semester and in the second although I tried too hard I failed in 2.I expected to resit them in September until I got an e-mail saying that this was my third attempt(!!!!) and not my first.They said that no more opportunity is given and that because of my good performance in 100 credits which is 10 modules out of the 12 they let me continue to the 2nd year of Ordinary degree!!!

My God since yesterday I feel terrible.I was to die.I sent her back an e-mail of course rejecting the offer for Ordinary degree and telling her all these.And of course that I have a degree from Greece with grade equivalent to 2.1 Hons degree.

Today I sent another one repeating these and asking again if anything can be done to resit in September.I told her that nobody informed me that I'd have no resits.Not even my personal tutor who never met me this year and didn't even sent me an e-mail about that.In extreme situation I told her I want to repeat this year for third time!!!!I'm ready for that sacrifice and pay the *******s again although I'm 26 years old.

Please guys what do you think?Is it possible people who repeat their year not to be able to resit in September???In the worst scenario may I have the chance to pay again fees and study my first year again??
    I can't understand you very well, but this is what I think you're saying: You failed your first year of university, and then you failed the resits as well. Because of this, you had to repeat the first year. You also had to pay tuition fees for this year. You then failed two modules in your second semester, so the university said you would only receive an ordinary degree and not an honours degree as you don't have enough credits. You wanted to resit the exams in September but the university refused.

Is that correct?

To be honest, I agree with the university in this case. You've had three chances to pass these exams now. The university has a reputation to uphold; if they let students endlessly resit exams then their reputation will suffer. I don't agree with your argument that this is your first attempt at passing the year. As you have already failed the year once, the exams you took this summer were your third attempt. As such, I think your only options are to accept the university's offer of an ordinary degree or drop out. To be honest, if you're having such a hard time passing first year you should ask yourself if your degree subject is really right for you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    I can't understand you very well, but this is what I think you're saying: You failed your first year of university, and then you failed the resits as well. Because of this, you had to repeat the first year. You also had to pay tuition fees for this year. You then failed two modules in your second semester, so the university said you would only receive an ordinary degree and not an honours degree as you don't have enough credits. You wanted to resit the exams in September but the university refused.

Is that correct?

To be honest, I agree with the university in this case. You've had three chances to pass these exams now. The university has a reputation to uphold; if they let students endlessly resit exams then their reputation will suffer. I don't agree with your argument that this is your first attempt at passing the year. As you have already failed the year once, the exams you took this summer were your third attempt. As such, I think your only options are to accept the university's offer of an ordinary degree or drop out. To be honest, if you're having such a hard time passing first year you should ask yourself if your degree subject is really right for you anyway.
    I agree with this (if we interpreted your story correctly).

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I have in mind guys is that nobody informed me about the fact that if I repeated my first year again I wouldn't have the chance to resit in September.

What I did was to send an e-mail to my personal tutor and to the Manager saying that I had significant improvement in comparison to last year and also that I passed 10 of the toughest modules and the rest 2 aren't so difficult.I ask if it's possible to write to the Board of Examiners asking them to resit those 2.I don't know what else to do!!

Let's God help me!

ReputationRep:
    But if the other 2 aren't so difficult, then why did you fail them? I don't think uni is for you somehow. You do realise that it gets harder every year don't you? If you can't pass first year then you're not going to pass the last year.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you.I failed in the last one because I spit sweat and blood in the 5 of the semester.i doubt why I failed in one module because I had everything right in my opinion.It wasn't because I just said "I'm bored studying".No way!I was just terrific exhausted.

I don't think that I'm not for uni.If it was like that why I already have a 4 years study University degree from greece?

ReputationRep:
    So, you're on a 2nd undergrad degree, and you're trying for the third time to resit your first year? I think the uni are right in saying that by passing 10 of the 12, you can carry onto the second year, but not as an honours degree, as you have had ample opportunity to study over the three years (since your mishaps in the 1st year are down to you, not to anyone or any extenuating circumstances). It is, quite honestly, your own fault that you haven't passed the modules you wanted to, but the uni have and are being extremely kind, firstly in letting you repeat your first year twice (giving you three chances to do the modules) and then saying you are able to stay on and do the degree as an ordinary degree, giving you the opportunity to improve on your degree from your Greek uni.

I'd take the opportunity, regardless of it being normal or honours degree, cos there aint a lot of chances like that in the world. (Oh, and also, how would it look to someone who wanted to employ you if you said you had to retake your first year three times and then dropped out as they didn't give you what you wanted, even though the uni are matching a degree to YOUR abilities, as proven by the modules)

And, honestly, your opinion wouldn't be the same as a uni lecturer/examiner in the modules. They have seen however, that in the other 10 you tried, and are offering you a second chance, which you are throwing back at them like an ungrateful child after being given PLENTY of opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Well as I said I already hold a degree form Greece 4 years study with a grade of 7,06.That means at least 2.1 of Uk Bachelor's degree.I graduated in the summer of 2006.That would be my 2nd.

I didn't do this degree elfen to improve my last degree!no way.I just was interested in sth else than Accounting.And I also wanted because of my love for England to stay and work there.

Of course my plans for now are if they insist int heir decision not let me resit exams in those 2 to gain some working experience and then go for a Master's degree.That should be my choice and not waste time and money.

I'll also try as a graduate I am to find a job in Banking/Accounting from my country in Manchester through the internet.I hope I can,

Finally it wouldn't be my 3nd time to repeat the year!!As I said I repeated my first year now.

Let me ask a final question.Is a Master's degree from a University like Nottingham or Warwick with my degree which is from a less respected university better than a Honours degree with 2.1 from University of manchester or other good university in England?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Rivaldo_23)
    The only thing I have in mind guys is that nobody informed me about the fact that if I repeated my first year again I wouldn't have the chance to resit in September.

What I did was to send an e-mail to my personal tutor and to the Manager saying that I had significant improvement in comparison to last year and also that I passed 10 of the toughest modules and the rest 2 aren't so difficult.I ask if it's possible to write to the Board of Examiners asking them to resit those 2.I don't know what else to do!!

Let's God help me!
    They shouldn't have needed to point that out to you. With this being the third time you say the exams it is perfectly reasonable that they expect you to pass them without yet another resit. To be honest you are lucky that the university is letting you progress into second year.

I'd forget about the masters for now, unless your performance improves dramatically they are not going to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    You've taken these exams three times. Maybe you should just take the Oridinary Degree. Don't turn your nose up at it, you failed a couple of exams, now it's time to deal with it. It's annoy but you'll get over it, promise.

ReputationRep:
    I had better news.Well I didn't tell you that in my first year the reason I failed once was because I broke with my fiancee and because my father cut financial support.

An advisor from LSE and another from Warwick told me that I should drop out then and reapply through UCAS for the 1st year.Then I'd have another chance and my exams now wouldn't count form 3 times.

The one from LSE and the other from Warwick told me to apply for next year for direct 2nd year entry.They saw my modules from Greek University I passed and my good grades and the one from warwick promised me that on condition I inform them why i failed the first year and tell them about y fiancee then.

It seems there's God.Now the best to do is to take all my luggage back to Greece and join the army srvice which is compulsory for 9 months.Then I'll apply for warwick which is a better university.

From Manchester now the manager said she'll meet personally the director and she'll try to persuade him.Although I don't have good chances.

Is Warwick much better than Manchester?If I get a degree with 2.2 from Warwick is it better than 2.1 from Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I did it!!!!The University of Manchester Director Agreed to resit in August only 1 exam since in the other one I failed I had 36 so it can be compensated.The Director said that I don't deserve Ordinary degree with my qualifications.Thank you my God!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.