Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You are pretty much ******.

Legally the guarantor is the person who MUST pay rent every month if you don't cough up. So they will probably either get charged the rent monthly, be asked to pay the outstanding amount up front or be taken to court for it if they refuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I completely despise people like you.
    Hasrh, but fair, baby.

OP, was this clause that the estate agent mentioned in the contract? That is probably make or break for you I guess.

Who is the gurantor? And wil lyou be coming back to the UK later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Hasrh, but fair, baby.

OP, was this clause that the estate agent mentioned in the contract? That is probably make or break for you I guess.

Who is the gurantor? And wil lyou be coming back to the UK later?
    I called a guy from the estate agency. He said that they are just gona take the deposit and thats the end of the matter. So if anyone keeps calling me, I don't give a crap, because one of their employees has assured me that thats the end of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    Was the 2 months arrangement in the contract?
    Is this student accommodation?
    Who is the guarantor?

You aren't giving very much for us to help you from.
    the arrangement was not in the contract, but was an oral assurance given to us on numerous occasions.

it is not student accomm.

the guarantor is my flatmate's uncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_with_horns)
    I called a guy from the estate agency. He said that they are just gona take the deposit and thats the end of the matter. So if anyone keeps calling me, I don't give a crap, because one of their employees has assured me that thats the end of the matter.
    Get them to give that in writing?

ReputationRep:
    They can sue if they want to.

You signed a legal contract, and if you don't pay up, then the guarentor(sp) will have to instead.

If you have, as you put, given the right period of notice, and it states in your contract that that period of notice is appropriate then, you do have a legal claim.

I hope you kept a record of when you told them and when.

If not, then there is no proof and you will have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    the arrangement was not in the contract, but was an oral assurance given to us on numerous occasions.
    Never, ever, ever believe anything until you have it in writing. If they get back to you and you say "oh, one of your guys told me it was alright" it isn't the end of the matter - you can't prove what they said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Never, ever, ever believe anything until you have it in writing. If they get back to you and you say "oh, one of your guys told me it was alright" it isn't the end of the matter - you can't prove what they said.
    He has sent me an email saying that we have terminated the contract early and he will keep the deposit. It was sent when we delivered the keys to the estate agency. I called him to confirm that it was the end of the matter. The email does not say that no further action will be taken but it does not saying anything about paying fines, paying up the contract or being taken to court. I get the impression that the landlord was like "Oh can we squeeze any more out of them?" and the agent was like "I'll try".

The agent, infact, before we signed the contract and ON THE CONDITION THAT HE WOULD DO WHAT HE SAID, said that we could leave like 3 months after signing the lease if we gave notice! And we did give him two months notice to find replacement, which he assured us on numerous occasions that he would do. But then he just ignored us. So yeh. Oral assurances are fine (I do law lol) because the contract for the lease doesn't say that the agreement is only what is on the paper. I think I could successfully argue this. Also I plan to tell them I have proof that they hacked my email, because i KNOW he did. That should scare them off. Contrary to what jacketpotato says, I did say I would leave in three months, and the reason I signed the two year lease was that he would find replacement.

ReputationRep:
    They better not mess around with this after all the lies they told us and their employee hacked my account. When I said that to the lady on the phone she suddenly became very pleasant and said she would 'try to sort it out' and was really sweet thereafter. They know they lied, cheated, and did things which are actually illegal. So they best shut up.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it would be unlikely that they'd do much after keeping the deposit. That's what the deposit is for: so you don't have to go through the bother of chasing people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I completely despise people like you. Everyone is to blame except for you. You want to blatently break a contract, and then get off scot-free. You are angry that your lame excuses won't work. You are angry that the landlord would sue a student with no assets. You want to turn it around and blame the landlord for not mitigating his loss. Pathetic.

Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions. You knew that you had signed up to a two year lease, and you knew how much it would cost. To say you can't afford it is ludicrous: you shouldn't have signed up to it if you can't afford it.

Lol. He didn't "randomly" take money, he was entitled to take the money because he was owed it.

Fortunately, there is not much a lawyer can do to help you. The money will either be paid by you or the guarantor. The landlord will certainly have suffered loss, mitigation or none. If you don't pay it, you will screw up your credit rating.

Its possible the landlord will just keep the deposit. If you were honest with him, that will be more likely to happen. Personally, if I was the landlord and found out that you left the flat with no notice, your friend left the country and heard a bunch of bull**** excuses, I would sue you for everything I could with no regrets - I'd probably attempt to make you bankrupt because of the selfish way in which you acted.

I can honestly say i despise people like you, i feel sick to my stomach when i think about the society we live in now, everyone suing everyone.

Oh no, the contract is broken, all the land lord has to do is keep the deposit and find new tenants, tenants should not be hard to find in a uni town.

However the Op does sound like she is making many many excuses, try talking to your land lord and inform him of the circumstances(most likely too late for you now).

Also Op should not have signed for 2 years, should have signed for 1 with a conditional renewal after a year, and a get out clause in case of dire circumstances(class that as you will).

The fact is you are in the wrong regarding the contract, you should have negotiated for a better contract, however i would deck my "friend" if they ran off and left me to foot the bill, i would also hunt down the estate agent and make him do his job, if you can find some money from somewhere and seek legal advice, if the landlord sues you, sue the agent for breach of duty, that way he will foot the landlords bill.

ReputationRep:
    Also I plan to tell them I have proof that they hacked my email, because i KNOW he did. That should scare them off.
    Do you have proof? If not, what do you intend on saying when the landlord says "ok, prove we 'hacked' your email account"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.