Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grampian)
    Hi,

I require people's opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of sales vs trading in Fixed Income. I know this is very generalised and people are different but answers would be useful.

I think in Sales you have a bit more security and time to learn about products etc and meet clients. However you don't get the autonomy as you would get in trading. And with trading you do get the autonomy, but if it doesn't work out you get removed quickly and exit options may be limited.

Thanks
    How about the fact they're completely different roles, and suit completely different types of people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benh842)
    How about the fact they're completely different roles, and suit completely different types of people?
    yes i said that.

that's why I wanted people who have experienced both to give their views.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you made some ******** statements about security, autonomy and exit opps., and then asked for elaboration. Those things are all ******* irrelevant when they're so different. It's like comparing the exit opps between careers as a landscape gardener and a ******* clown.

ReputationRep:
    Are you eloquent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benh842)
    Well, you made some ******** statements about security, autonomy and exit opps., and then asked for elaboration. Those things are all ******* irrelevant when they're so different. It's like comparing the exit opps between careers as a landscape gardener and a ******* clown.
    Why do you swear so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grampian)
    Hi,

I require people's opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of sales vs trading in Fixed Income. I know this is very generalised and people are different but answers would be useful.

I think in Sales you have a bit more security and time to learn about products etc and meet clients. However you don't get the autonomy as you would get in trading. And with trading you do get the autonomy, but if it doesn't work out you get removed quickly and exit options may be limited.

Thanks
    thats true to a certain extent.
    on second point, only props get autonomy.

ReputationRep:
    Ben's so so grumpy these days sheesh.
    See you at the circle for a few drinks this week Ben?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    on second point, only props get autonomy.
    no.

ReputationRep:
    To a large extent, yes, mostly prop traders get autonomy (to take a view and trade on it - that's our job !) yet flow traders have a fair bit of control over when to enter and exit (timing rather than taking prop positions, since it is only execution). You should also remember that many flow desks take some prop positions. Maybe 20% or so, depending on the desk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barzini)
    To a large extent, yes, mostly prop traders get autonomy (to take a view and trade on it - that's our job !) yet flow traders have a fair bit of control over when to enter and exit (timing rather than taking prop positions, since it is only execution). You should also remember that many flow desks take some prop positions. Maybe 20% or so, depending on the desk
    Right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barzini)
    That's a pretty meaningless figure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but everybody loves a guesstimation.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's what I know is traded on some equity derivatives, cash equities, and some fixed income desks and a few banks.

It varies with time, and across institutions.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.