Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP!! Took pill 3 and a half hours late and then had diarrhoea 9 hours later... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last night I took my pill 3 and a half hours late. I usually take it at 7:30pm but as soon as I remembered I took it at 11pm. However I woke up this morning with tummy ache and diarrhoea but I haven't had it since. This was 9 hours after I took the pill at 11pm. Does this mean I am not protected against pregnancy if I have sex tonight?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I can't give you a medical opinion (maybe you should try NHS Direct-you can ask to be confidential) however I do know that if you want to take pills such as imodium you have to wait 2 hours after taking normal painkillers so that suggests that after 2 hours the first pill has entered the blood stream. i would check with NHS Direct though as the pill has delayed effects so I can't give medical advice

ReputationRep:
    I'd call NHS direct or check their website because generally they can give good information on the pill. I remember when I was on it an had a tummy bug with diarrhea and vomitting in the mornings I called NHS direct and they gave me advice and also said it would be ok but really I'd call just to make sure because everyone's circumstances are different.

ReputationRep:
    If it's Cerazette then you're protected as you took it within 12 hours and you had enough time to absorb it into your bloodstream before the diahrahrharhea. If it's not Cerazette then you're not protected for about a week as you were over 3 hours late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    If it's Cerazette then you're protected as you took it within 12 hours and you had enough time to absorb it into your bloodstream before the diahrahrharhea. If it's not Cerazette then you're not protected for about a week as you were over 3 hours late.
    Many other brands of pills are the same as this - Microgynon offers the same advice (I'm on it) so read your leaflet.

Many types of combined pill also say you can 'afford' to miss one or two pills in a pack, although obviously this isn't recommended and always check your advice leaflet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.