Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Right well it's the summer and we're finally finished with our first year of the IB diploma so psyched about that!!! Got my extended essay done and am almost done with CAS so all good there. I was wondering how I should study during this summer as I want to go back to school and get good marks in our first assessment:

The study material I have for each subject is:

HL Psychology (Book and CD rom)-finished social, biological, cognitive, dysfunctional, and research methods so far in lesson

HL Chemistry (Book and CD rom)- almost finished the syllabus

HL Biology (Book and CD rom)-got up to one of our options
    SL Math studies (website)
    SL english (books)
    SL German ab initio (Vocab sheets)

right what I want to know is what sort of scheduale should I set out when studying these subjects? I have 6 weeks before we go back

ReputationRep:
    what abt TOK? have u start thinking which question you will be doing for the essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    what abt TOK? have u start thinking which question you will be doing for the essay?
    yeah i'm doing number 7 and have a plan, just need 2 type it up

ReputationRep:
    Long and hard, as always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by running from demons)
    Long and hard, as always.
    lol yeah I was planning that:rolleyes: what I meant was what subjects should I study on what day and for how long?

thanks though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarletwings92)
    Hey all,

Right well it's the summer and we're finally finished with our first year of the IB diploma so psyched about that!!! Got my extended essay done and am almost done with CAS so all good there. I was wondering how I should study during this summer as I want to go back to school and get good marks in our first assessment:

The study material I have for each subject is:

HL Psychology (Book and CD rom)-finished social, biological, cognitive, dysfunctional, and research methods so far in lesson

HL Chemistry (Book and CD rom)- almost finished the syllabus

HL Biology (Book and CD rom)-got up to one of our options
    SL Math studies (website)
    SL english (books)
    SL German ab initio (Vocab sheets)

right what I want to know is what sort of scheduale should I set out when studying these subjects? I have 6 weeks before we go back
    If you're revising/reviewing material, it's really up to you to decide and set out how you want to do it. Don't feel that you must do 3 hours a day or something, just take it at your own pace. The vast majority probably won't do anything over the summer (I know I didn't).

But if you feel it helps, then by all means keep some of the trickier things fresh in your mind, so you don't forget how they work e.g. maths, science etc.

Essay subjects could be covered by writing a practice essay every so often, just to make sure you retain your essay writing skills.

For your German I would recommend also reading something enjoyable in the target language, watching tv/news and just generally familiarising yourself with proper German, rather than a simplified syllabus of the IB course.

For Maths, a question/answer booklet is also advisable so you can practice things you don't understand and check the answers.

ReputationRep:
    Sagittarius_GBR is right. No matter how much revision you do in summer, it will help you. Don't feel that you have to cover the whole syllabus in the summer for every subject or that you have to spend every hour of every day revising- that will probably intimidate you and make you end up doing much less than you'd be happy with. Just go over topics you find tricky or know you're likely to forget easily- so that you don't have to spend lots of time learning them again after summer.

As for HL Chemistry- there's a website called ib chem (search for it in google) which you might find useful.

The Deutsche Welle website is a rather good german news website. It has news and videos, and even a special section with articles which have glossaries.

ReputationRep:
    http://ibchem.com/
    Very useful

ReputationRep:
    Set out a plan and stick to it or else you will procrastinate!

ReputationRep:
    Biology and chemistry would be very useful to study for before hand. Once you learn it and it's ingrained in your mind, all you need is a refresher and most of it should come back to you. Also, since you'll be doing a lot of IAs during the year, studying in the summer would really help you get ahead. (If you have the discipline that is.) Good luck, and happy studying!

ReputationRep:
    good luck and try to have fun

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how studying in the summer will help you come IB exams. By the time we reach April 2010, you'll have forgotten what you reviewed for in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Utero)
    I don't get how studying in the summer will help you come IB exams. By the time we reach April 2010, you'll have forgotten what you reviewed for in the summer.
    not if you keep reviewing it over and over again:yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.