Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things to do over the summer? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've decided, since having a lot of time on my hands, that I would try and do something constructive over the summer - it seems like some people have gone travelling, but I can't do this as my money situation is a bit poor.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You could do some walks around the UK,

http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/

Probably reasonably low budget

ReputationRep:
    Take up a new hobby. I did, decided to get into music (keyboards) and having a ton of fun.

Driving lessons? A part-time job over the summer? Volunteering? I want to get involved with Oxjam (Oxfam's musical branch which organises gigs for charity) in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lady_leon)
    I've decided, since having a lot of time on my hands, that I would try and do something constructive over the summer - it seems like some people have gone travelling, but I can't do this as my money situation is a bit poor.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Hmmm...... get a job? o.O
    For the past 3 weeks of my holiday..... I've been going back to school for 2 weeks, to do the year book. And The 3rd week been ill (recovering). And just been at home, playing PSP, with family etc.

Will be planning on going up north to visit relatives. Got any relatives within the country a hundred or so miles away? If so, go and spend a week or so with them

Or another thing which I also might to do drawing or painting during my time - that's if I don't get a job. But will that also work for you - drawing/painting?
    Or even go out exploring your area, go to the park etc, photography - buy a good camera if you don't have one

(Sorry if I'm not much helpfull, I'm a boring person ya see.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrStick)
    Hmmm...... get a job? o.O
    For the past 3 weeks of my holiday..... I've been going back to school for 2 weeks, to do the year book. And The 3rd week been ill (recovering). And just been at home, playing PSP, with family etc.

Will be planning on going up north to visit relatives. Got any relatives within the country a hundred or so miles away? If so, go and spend a week or so with them

Or another thing which I also might to do drawing or painting during my time - that's if I don't get a job. But will that also work for you - drawing/painting?
    Or even go out exploring your area, go to the park etc, photography - buy a good camera if you don't have one

(Sorry if I'm not much helpfull, I'm a boring person ya see.)
    I do have a job, but there's not many shifts there right now - may have to look for another one.

I have actually been going out with my SLR doing some photography, it's just hard because I'd like to explore different places but I can't drive yet and don't have much money for buses.

I don't have any family far away really - they all live pretty near me. I was thinking of returning to drawing as I used to do it but found I didn't really have time. May start painting too, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)
    I want to get involved with Oxjam (Oxfam's musical branch which organises gigs for charity) in August.
    Yes! I'm a singer myself, and I intended to get involved with it last year but couldn't because of college. How do you get involved in it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I'm a singer myself, and I intended to get involved with it last year but couldn't because of college. How do you get involved in it?
    Find out who's your regional manager and speak to them.

I'm quite lucky in that the regional manager for my area is none other than my sister :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Stay on TSR all day

ReputationRep:
    Find out who's your regional manager and speak to them.

I'm quite lucky in that the regional manager for my area is none other than my sister :yep:
    Haha that's rather convenient, how do I find out? I had a look for events in my region but it doesn't seem like there is any! That's a little depressing...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Go Geocaching
    Find a new hobby (learn how to paint/draw, get crafty, etc.)
    Get sporty
    Try a new musical instrument

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's rather convenient, how do I find out? I had a look for events in my region but it doesn't seem like there is any! That's a little depressing...
    I asked my sister and she says there's a Southampton regional manager. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Try to learn a language
    Watch a lot of TV
    Read books
    Paint/draw/photograph
    Write a book
    Redecorate your room
    Go to museums/cinema/parks
    Play games with friends

ReputationRep:
    I've been learning german since last week ,ive been teaching myself ,i want to be fluent by september...I've also been painting ,im going to connemarra next week for inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    Learn languages
    Learn musical instruments
    Practise your existing languages and instruments
    Make a project on something that interests you - like they do in American schools on TV but never actually do in the UK.
    Tidy your room
    Read books
    Do something artistic - learn to sew, cook, draw, paint, sculpt, spin clay, etc.
    Go to free classes, there are loads around. Like free seminars on learning to sew and stuff.
    Go to the park
    Go to a country park
    Go to all the free stuff in your area, like some stately homes/museums etc.
    Go to the beach
    Get a tan
    Dye your hair
    Bake cakes/biscuits
    Organise your stuff - alphabetise books etc.
    Make posters
    Get ahead on the upcoming years work
    Look for a job
    Walk
    Learn to drive
    Sit around doing nothing
    Play board games
    Design your own board game
    Go to the tip and find loads of weird old **** like broken tables and learn how to fix stuff
    Practise doing your hair and make-up
    Give yourself a spa day (at home ofc)
    Paint your nails
    Learn to floss properly
    Teach yourself an A level unit
    Go to the theatre
    Get involved in a drama club or something similar
    Join a book club
    Join the library and go to it
    Start playing sports

ReputationRep:
    Write a sitcom.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my sister and she says there's a Southampton regional manager. :yes:
    Do you know how I can contact them?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how I can contact them?
    Talk to Naomi Courtenay at oxjam.southampton [at] gmail.com :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Learn languages
    Learn musical instruments
    Practise your existing languages and instruments
    Make a project on something that interests you - like they do in American schools on TV but never actually do in the UK.
    Tidy your room
    Read books
    Do something artistic - learn to sew, cook, draw, paint, sculpt, spin clay, etc.
    Go to free classes, there are loads around. Like free seminars on learning to sew and stuff.
    Go to the park
    Go to a country park
    Go to all the free stuff in your area, like some stately homes/museums etc.
    Go to the beach
    Get a tan
    Dye your hair
    Bake cakes/biscuits
    Organise your stuff - alphabetise books etc.
    Make posters
    Get ahead on the upcoming years work
    Look for a job
    Walk
    Learn to drive
    Sit around doing nothing
    Play board games
    Design your own board game
    Go to the tip and find loads of weird old **** like broken tables and learn how to fix stuff
    Practise doing your hair and make-up
    Give yourself a spa day (at home ofc)
    Paint your nails
    Learn to floss properly
    Teach yourself an A level unit
    Go to the theatre
    Get involved in a drama club or something similar
    Join a book club
    Join the library and go to it
    Start playing sports
    ROFL, learn to floss properly xD

More seriously, I wish I had more time That's a fantastic list!!

ReputationRep:
    go for a massive piss up

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.