Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    had a re-think, closed

ReputationRep:
    FYI its spelt awkward

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel this way with most presents. My next door neighbours always give me some kind of weird art and craft kit every year. Why don't you just ask for money or ask for something specific? It may not be a surprise but at least if you ask for what you want you know you'll like it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that is the most bizarre way of spelling Awquard I've ever seen

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    I love the title.

ReputationRep:
    Sorrry, was in a rush how i change the name of the thread im new
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ask. I always tell Mom what I want for my birthday, and she tells other people. She knows me pretty well and is fairly good at making choices! (I think I've been given five bottles of Imperial Leather Foam Burst and a pack of five things of Spearmint Polo's as long as I remember! )

I often ask for vouchers so people can spend what they want, and I can choose my own present!! For my birthday coming up (August) I'm asking for a sewing box and some Bravissimo vouchers, as well as the two or three books I need to complete my Philippa Gregory collection.

I wouldn't ask for cash though; if I did it would probably go on rent/bills/food

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should try being grateful? They don't have to buy you anything, after all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No i dont mean it in a bad ungrateful way, thats wrong. What I mean is I find it hard to look so pleased in front of relatives, im always grateful

ReputationRep:
    Practice looking genuine. It'll help you out in life.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. My brothers mrs picked out a necklace and bracelet which are completely her style, not mine, and while there is nothing wrong with them all I could think was 'why buy me this?' So the whole being pleased look was quite forced, I was still greatful obviously. But they also bought me a purse that I loved and gave me a voucher so that was a bit easier haha X x

ReputationRep:
    My mum once bought me the most disgusting Christmas present, which nearly broke my heart because I knew she had absolutely no money that year, and probably had to sacrifice quite a lot to get me and my siblings our awful and misguided gifts.

You just have to think about the thought behind it, and be genuinely pleased with that.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need presents, just take cash:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Ask. I always tell Mom what I want for my birthday, and she tells other people. She knows me pretty well and is fairly good at making choices! (I think I've been given five bottles of Imperial Leather Foam Burst and a pack of five things of Spearmint Polo's as long as I remember! )

I often ask for vouchers so people can spend what they want, and I can choose my own present!! For my birthday coming up (August) I'm asking for a sewing box and some Bravissimo vouchers, as well as the two or three books I need to complete my Philippa Gregory collection.

I wouldn't ask for cash though; if I did it would probably go on rent/bills/food
    I agree with the last bit, not keen on getting money because it just just slips away. I prefer vouchers but then you end up with little amounts for a million different places. I got about £200 for my birthday this year so I was planning on spending it on a holiday, which I thought was a good idea, but I'm so sint with not having a job it's just gone on things I really need I've promised to repay myself when I'm earning though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.