Turn on thread page Beta

Torchwood - Choosing Children watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    How did you feel about the fact Jack had to use his own grandson as the transmitter? I thought it was awful :sad:

I would have surely thought they could spend an extra 20 minutes and find a random child (as evil as that sounds).

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I thought the issue was quite interesting.. RTD certainly knew had to hit the viewers nerves.
    It's a tough choice but overall, if you absoloutely had to give them up, the children who would become pregnant too young, drop outof college, become druggies, is a much betterchoice than random selection. It's horrible, but it would be the best choice in the circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    How did you feel about the fact Jack had to use his own grandson as the transmitter? I thought it was awful :sad:

I would have surely thought they could spend an extra 20 minutes and find a random child (as evil as that sounds).
    :sad: It was such an awful episode, I was sad about what the minister did too, poor guy :emo: The PM in Torchwood is evil :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]:sad: It was such an awful episode, I was sad about what the minister did too, poor guy :emo: The PM in Torchwood is evil :stomp:
    :sadnod: The one who killed his family and himself? That was even worse, he died for no actual reason :cry:

The PM got what was coming to him, on the up side.

Although, credit where credit is due, the scriptwriters were amazing. Amazing job, kudos to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]:sad: It was such an awful episode, I was sad about what the minister did too, poor guy :emo:
    I know and it was all unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    :sadnod: The one who killed his family and himself? That was even worse, he died for no actual reason :cry:

The PM got what was coming to him, on the up side.

Although, credit where credit is due, the scriptwriters were amazing. Amazing job, kudos to them.
    I was going for not giving spoilers you never know who hasn't seen it yet!

That was one of the most gripping episodes i have seen in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Give them a few at a time until you can create some way of harvesting the drugs from the children, then farm them for intergalatic profits.

boo ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]I was going for not giving spoilers you never know who hasn't seen it yet!
    True, but if you click this thread having not seen the episode, you probably want to know what happened :o:

(Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]That was one of the most gripping episodes i have seen in a long time.
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    And to think they could have just given them the "hitchhiker" things that released endorphins and left everybody happy...

ReputationRep:
    True, but if you click this thread having not seen the episode, you probably want to know what happened :o:

Definitely.
    The question is- will there be any more Torchwood :eek: How can they carry on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]The question is- will there be any more Torchwood :eek: How can they carry on?
    :eek4:

I highly doubt it with the current cast. Perhaps with a new one?

Yanto is dead.
    Jack is gone (forever?)
    Gwen is pregnant so that's a way of ruling her out.

They might make one with Jack's daughter as the "captain" with that soldier woman by her side :dontknow:

It'd never be the same though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]The question is- will there be any more Torchwood :eek: How can they carry on?
    I doubt it myself...... Too many bridges have been burned...think I"m going to cry .

ReputationRep:

Yanto is dead.
    Jack is gone (forever?)

They might make one with Jack's daughter as the "captain" with that soldier woman by her side :dontknow:

It just wouldn't be Torchwood without Jack I don't know if i'd watch a new series with none of the original cast, it would have to be amazing to live up to the original.

ReputationRep:

Yanto is dead.
    Jack is gone (forever?)

I think Gwen will come back cause after you've seen all that alien stuff, you never really want to go back to a normal life. I think she'll start torchwood up again, with Rhys protesting. Dunno who her new collegues would be - maybe that army woman and Lois?

I dont think Jack will be back - John Barrowman is too busy singing and hosting rubbish shows to bother with acting now. He'll probably turn up again in Doctor Who but I dont think he'll go back to Torchwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I doubt it myself...... Too many bridges have been burned...think I"m going to cry .
    I feel this may turn into a thread mourning Torchwood :sad:

ReputationRep:
    If I was the PM I know fine well I would have done what the government did, but perhaps shown a bit more regret about the whole thing and not let that American general take over, i.e. shoot him in the face. Oh and I wouldn’t have betrayed John Frobisher, that was extremely gimpish

Given the info the government knew they just had to do what they did, all you people saying stand up and fight well fight what? These baddies have obviously read the anarchist’s cookbook on biological warfare; we would probably never see them before we popped our clogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    If I was the PM I know fine well I would have done what the government did, but perhaps shown a bit more regret about the whole thing and not let that American general take over, i.e. shoot him in the face. Oh and I wouldn’t have betrayed John Frobisher, that was extremely gimpish

Given the info the government knew they just had to do what they did, all you people saying stand up and fight well fight what? These baddies have obviously read the anarchist’s cookbook on biological warfare; we would probably never see them before we popped our clogs.
    Precisely, Ianto and everyone else in the building died within minutes of the poison virus being released by the 456....we"d never know what hit us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]It just wouldn't be Torchwood without Jack I don't know if i'd watch a new series with none of the original cast, it would have to be amazing to live up to the original.
    :sadnod:

I really dislike it when the main charaters are dropped, it really ruins the show.

(Original post by Helie12)
    I think Gwen will come back cause after you've seen all that alien stuff, you never really want to go back to a normal life. I think she'll start torchwood up again, with Rhys protesting. Dunno who her new collegues would be - maybe that army woman and Lois?
    That could happen, but remember that Gwen is now aware that "Torchwood ruins your life" and she would question whether she wants to expose her child(ren) to that kind of risk. I don't think she'd do it.

(Original post by Helie12)
    I dont think Jack will be back - John Barrowman is too busy singing and hosting rubbish shows to bother with acting now. He'll probably turn up again in Doctor Who but I dont think he'll go back to Torchwood.
    Very true. He might make the spot appearance on Doctor Who when they need someone who can't die again.

I'd let the world burn before selecting any.

ends/means etc.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Such an interesting situation wasn't it. And one I hope no one ever has to really face in the real world.

However you do it, you have to justify it to yourself as being the right thing. Or rather which way is most right/least wrong.

It also bring in your own (perhaps selfish) desires to keep your own family safe. Can you come up with a decision to keep your own children safe? Or would you be happy to do something randomly and let them potentially be taken too?

I think the bottom line of the situation as happened in the TV programme is that their solution of the children from the bottom 10% of schools is the one which they could justify to themselves the most whilst ensuring their own children were safe.

That is not to say what they decided is justifyable, but I can certainly understand why the clung on to that idea once the woman brought it up.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.