The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lowest achievers. including all of those in young offenders institutes.
Reply 41
ViolatedTreason
lowest achievers. including all of those in young offenders institutes.

Good idea lets send them to Afganistan.....human shield if you like.....we cant walk down this road until the mines are cleared.....rte the first one to the end gets a ASBO!! save many lives
LOCI
Good idea lets send them to Afganistan.....human shield if you like.....we cant walk down this road until the mines are cleared.....rte the first one to the end gets a ASBO!! save many lives

any survivors will have their ASBO's revoked, go clear up out there.

tis a genius idea. good suggestion
Probably all terminally ill children, or those with a significantly reduced lifespan.

But that still wouldn't make up 10%, would it?
Reply 44
Haha I couldn't do it at all, I would have gone for all-out war... which would have meant the end of the human race before Captain Jack could save the day. Lucky I'm not in politics, eh?
cpj1987
I'd select randomly, if I absolutely had to. No child has any achievement, really.
Of course, in reality I couldn't do it at all.

Exactly this.
Reply 46
The aliens wanted 10% of the children in the world, right? So what i would've done is get most of them from Africa. About 5 million children under 5 years old die in africa each year and many more which are 13 years old and younger, so instead of letting all those children die of starvation and malaria each year they can be sent of with the aliens
Reply 47
walker01
The aliens wanted 10% of the children in the world, right? So what i would've done is get most of them from Africa. About 5 million children under 5 years old die in africa each year and many more which are 13 years old and younger, so instead of letting all those children die of starvation and malaria each year they can be sent of with the aliens

They specified 10% of each country's population through the children.
jayshah31
How did you feel about the fact Jack had to use his own grandson as the transmitter? I thought it was awful :sad:

I would have surely thought they could spend an extra 20 minutes and find a random child (as evil as that sounds).

I know! its a flaw in the plot, instead of making it profound it just becomes
meh
I have no idea what this program is about, nor do I care. The only thing I know is that it took away Hotel Babylon from me on Friday....how dare they!!!!!

*returns to iPlayer*
random selection.

set up a lottery... 10% of kids are given to aliens, 9% win gadgets, 1% win a good amount of money, 80% don't win or lose anything.

people will be happy.

lol
Obviously, I'd sacrifice one child in order to beam the 456's death noise right back at them. Job done.
RK
Such an interesting situation wasn't it. And one I hope no one ever has to really face in the real world.

However you do it, you have to justify it to yourself as being the right thing. Or rather which way is most right/least wrong.

It also bring in your own (perhaps selfish) desires to keep your own family safe. Can you come up with a decision to keep your own children safe? Or would you be happy to do something randomly and let them potentially be taken too?

I think the bottom line of the situation as happened in the TV programme is that their solution of the children from the bottom 10% of schools is the one which they could justify to themselves the most whilst ensuring their own children were safe.

That is not to say what they decided is justifyable, but I can certainly understand why the clung on to that idea once the woman brought it up.

Incidentally, I imagine Russell T Davies may have had an angry letter or two from the Ministry of Education! (aka the Department for Children, Schools and Families)
I wouldn't do it at all, i'd fight, if you give up once then they'll do it more often (as was proven).

But i'd do anything like that randomly.
Reply 54
Well if you are talking theoretically about children who will be least missed then first of all you take all the children from the young offenders institues, then you take all those in orphanages. After that I would say you protect those achieving in the top 10% and then hold a random lottery for the rest.

In reality I would hope we would fight to the bitter end. A world in which the human race is prepared to capitulate to such demands is a world in which part of our essential humanity is gone. Therefore it would be better to die in the knowledge that we had done what was right than live on knowing that when it came to the crunch we buckled under the pressure. Also if they asked for 10% once why couldn't they do it again? The aliens proved that they weren't trustworthy. We would basically be becoming their human crop, to harvest whenever they felt like it.

(I haven't seen day 5 yet, I was still annoyed about Yanto yesterday so I've recorded it to watch later. I don't mind about spoilers though :P)
jayshah31
How did you feel about the fact Jack had to use his own grandson as the transmitter? I thought it was awful :sad:

I would have surely thought they could spend an extra 20 minutes and find a random child (as evil as that sounds).

I have no problem with them using an individual child for this. What I have a problem with is how they went about it, essentially destroying the character of Jack for me. Yes, he's done similar things in the past, but it would have been nice to see he had changed....and to his own grandson too.

What would have been better (i.e. not ruining his character) would have been for his grandson or whoever else was to be the child to be ill or something and would have had no quality of life and for them to volunteer themselves despite protests from everyone else. We could then have seen Jack trying to convince them not to put themselves forward, that he would not sacrifice people to save everyone else again...not even one child.

That could have been just as moving, would have worked and would not have destroyed Captain Jack as a character.
Reply 56
Make 10% number of waxworks
Reply 57
jayshah31

Killing a random inocent and unwilling child would have been seen as evil.
Using his own Grandson is to show that he aint just doing this to save his arse, his making an ultimate sacrifice to un-selfishly save the world.
Or at least, thats what the show was trying to portray.
HCD
Everyone on TSR with the lowest rep :colonhash:

No, anyone but SilverWings!
10Trix

Using his own Grandson is to show that he aint just doing this to save his arse, his making an ultimate sacrifice to un-selfishly save the world.

But surely there were of no threat to him anyway (directly)? His grand-son was safe, so was his daughter, and he can never die. He was doing it to save others, rather than himself.

Latest

Trending

Trending