Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    But surely there were of no threat to him anyway (directly)? His grand-son was safe, so was his daughter, and he can never die. He was doing it to save others, rather than himself.
    Yer bad example..save his arse! lol

But, just grabbing and killing a random kid!?! which is what he would be doing, murdering a child.
    Yer, he did this with his grandson, but as i said, its a personal sacrifice to save the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Trix)
    But, just grabbing and killing a random kid!?! which is what he would be doing, murdering a child.
    A child that, had he not have done it, would be taken anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Trix)
    Yer bad example..save his arse! lol

Yer, he did this with his grandson, but as i said, its a personal sacrifice to save the world!
    Jack was involved in sending the original 12 children back in 1965, something that he no doubt felt guilty about. Perhaps, just perhaps, he used his own grandson as an apology to those original 12 children and sparing the lives of millions of todays children.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would have to choose randomly. I couldn't live with myself any other way (plus all of my schools going back would probably have been chosen :ninja:). But personally I would never have tried to control the situation in the same way - I would have gone for complete transparency, and shown the public what was happening and the impossible situation they were in. Then the human race would truly have it's best chance of survival, and survival in a world which people would be happy to live in (also it would have the benefit of getting anyone vaguely academic to try and think about how to neutralise it, finding the solution quicker).

I highly doubt it with the current cast. Perhaps with a new one?
    Oh God no. Don't even tempt fate by suggesting that. I hate it when shows basically destroy themselves by going on too long and losing all the sentiments of what it was originally - see Scrubs, Hotel Babylon, Heroes etc. What ever happened to going out on a high? That's what makes shows like Fawlty Towers and The Office classics.

How did you feel about the fact Jack had to use his own grandson as the transmitter? I thought it was awful :sad:

I would have surely thought they could spend an extra 20 minutes and find a random child (as evil as that sounds).
    I can't imagine that Jack was that close to the child. His family had been running away from him all his life, so apart from blood there's very little the kids shared. I'm sure Jack would have cared more about Ianto's death.

Also there's no way for sure they'd have found another child. Everyone was either in an army base or hidden. Plus after 1965 he was incredibly averse to taking children he had no connection to, I guess.

It was an excellent series. I started watching not expecting very much, but it was just fantastic. A hell of a lot deeper than I was expecting from such a show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Oh God no. Don't even tempt fate by suggesting that. I hate it when shows basically destroy themselves by going on too long and losing all the sentiments of what it was originally - see Scrubs, Hotel Babylon, Heroes etc. What ever happened to going out on a high? That's what makes shows like Fawlty Towers and The Office classics. .
    Scrubs did lose it during the 6th season, but in their diference really pulled it back for the eighth season.

ReputationRep:
    Any but my own. And id give any random child to save my own children, any day of the week. In fact, id give 100 random kids to save my 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helie12)
    I dont think Jack will be back - John Barrowman is too busy singing and hosting rubbish shows to bother with acting now. He'll probably turn up again in Doctor Who but I dont think he'll go back to Torchwood.
    he started off on the west end anyway didn't he so i'd expect him to be singing. Besides, i think this was an intro for him onto the next episode of DW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Scrubs did lose it during the 6th season, but in their diference really pulled it back for the eighth season.
    I meant the way they're doing a ninth season, even though half the cast is leaving. The ending of the eight was a perfect way to go, and they should just leave it there. ******* stupid producers.

(Original post by jeffercake)
    Any but my own. And id give any random child to save my own children, any day of the week. In fact, id give 100 random kids to save my 4.
    Would you go through 100 mothers - lie to them, beg them, convince them, fight them if need be - who all felt the same way as you?

ReputationRep:
    I meant the way they're doing a ninth season, even though half the cast is leaving. The ending of the eight was a perfect way to go, and they should just leave it there. ******* stupid producers.
    Oh right sorry, yeah I totally agree. Im still curious as to which famous actor they're bringing in, thus making the inevitable disspointment that much worse due to all the hype.

ReputationRep:
    I would try to use random selection but I don't know what I'd do if I had children and they were selected because in the idea of fairness I'd have to give them up but I'm not sure I could.
    It's very tricky but I think the idea of sending the terminally ill children and children with criminal records and stuff is also a reasonable suggestion.

I hope there is more Torchwood, I just don't see how they could bring it back without making it extremely corny...

ReputationRep:
    Probably all those with disabilities and criminal records. If that didn't suffice, then kids whose parents had criminal records.

ReputationRep:
    Would you go through 100 mothers - lie to them, beg them, convince them, fight them if need be - who all felt the same way as you?
    Totally. Most parents would say the same, but in a fight, id win!! Id play dirty.
    Imagine having 4 kids, as I do, and having to give one away (not that Id like to give all 4 away!!) but still, having to choose ONE out of the FOUR??

I like the idea of giving away the terminally ill children - go to the nearest kids hospital, theres plenty. Wouldnt take no where near 24 hrs to wheel them out, and straight into the spaceship. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Oh right sorry, yeah I totally agree. Im still curious as to which famous actor they're bringing in, thus making the inevitable disspointment that much worse due to all the hype.
    Hugh Laurie. :teeth: Do that and I'll carry on watching.

ReputationRep:
    Totally. Most parents would say the same, but in a fight, id win!! Id play dirty.
    Imagine having 4 kids, as I do, and having to give one away (not that Id like to give all 4 away!!) but still, having to choose ONE out of the FOUR??

I like the idea of giving away the terminally ill children - go to the nearest kids hospital, theres plenty. Wouldnt take no where near 24 hrs to wheel them out, and straight into the spaceship. Simples.
    I can definitely understand your mentality, but if it came down to it I don't think I could go past other parents for ultimately selfish reasons.

If one of your children were terminally ill, would you be happy for them to be sacrificed?

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely understand your mentality, but if it came down to it I don't think I could go past other parents for ultimately selfish reasons.

If one of your children were terminally ill, would you be happy for them to be sacrificed?
    No.

Selfish? Thats fine, I can live with that!

Although, when you say you dont think you could go past other parents for selfish reasons... can I ask, are you a parent?

Because the reasons arent selfish at all - these are the four little, innocent children that I LOVE. I wouldnt ever be able to let them go. I practically had a heart attack the other day, when my little boy went out of my sight for one minute at a family party.
    When a little one is your flesh and blood, and you see them, look after them and love them day after day for years.... theres no way you could let them go. Not even to save the human race. Any other child but your own, thats what you would say, believe me.

X

ReputationRep:
    No.

Although, when you say you dont think you could go past other parents for selfish reasons... can I ask, are you a parent?

Because the reasons arent selfish at all - these are the four little, innocent children that I LOVE. I wouldnt ever be able to let them go. I practically had a heart attack the other day, when my little boy went out of my sight for one minute at a family party.
    When a little one is your flesh and blood, and you see them, look after them and love them day after day for years.... theres no way you could let them go. Not even to save the human race. Any other child but your own, thats what you would say, believe me.

X
    I can understand exactly where you are coming from on this. I have 2 children of my own and theres no way I would let either of them be taken by some alien race. I would literally fight to the death for my kids. I just know that every other parent up and down the country feels the same way we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I can understand exactly where you are coming from on this. I have 2 children of my own and theres no way I would let either of them be taken by some alien race. I would literally fight to the death for my kids. I just know that every other parent up and down the country feels the same way we do.
    :hugs:

Its awful even thinking about it, isnt it?

But... I dont think every parent would fight for their children, sadly. Some dont give a ****, and others are too off their faces to care.

ReputationRep:
    No.

X
    I wasn't criticising you. I think it's great to see you're so passionate about protecting your kids, and something to be admired. I'm not a parent, but I was simply saying that I don't think I'd be able to give up another child against their parent's wishes because of how much I would care about my own children.

Even though if you look at it purely dispassionately it is selfish. You would give up someone else's to save your own. That doesn't make it a bad thing, but it is selfish.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't criticising you. I think it's great to see you're so passionate about protecting your kids, and something to be admired. I'm not a parent, but I was simply saying that I don't think I'd be able to give up another child against their parent's wishes because of how much I would care about my own children.

Even though if you look at it purely dispassionately it is selfish. You would give up someone else's to save your own. That doesn't make it a bad thing, but it is selfish.
    Aw, no I know you weren't criticising. It's a good thread, gets you thinking.

So what would you do, if you had kids of your own?
    I just think lots of people who don't actually have children yet, and have answered, have given answers that they WOULDN'T give, in say 10 years time, when they have settled down and started a family.

x

ReputationRep:
    As I said on the first page of this thread, I'd fight to the death rather than make this choice. I couldn't choose the children to go, nor be involved in giving them away, and I'd sooner die myself than make that decision.
    I'm not a parent, but I also know that I'd similarly fight to the death for my youngest sibling, to avoid him having that fate. Yes, I'd do the same for anyone else's children, but protecting my brother would still be the strongest motive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.