Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    They specified 10% of each country's population through the children.
    Oh, i thought it was just any 10% of children.

ReputationRep:
    completely random allocation, only fair way to do it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    completely random allocation, only fair way to do it.
    Whilst it does seem to be the most fair way, as has been brought up in the thread elsewhere, would you risk your own children if you had any?

What is most fair and what is most justifiable to you can vary greatly. If you don't want to risk your own children, then what do you do?

Also, under what criteria are we making the assumption this is fair? It's under the assumption that all children are equal and offer the same to society.

But is that true? If we're wanting to be most fair to society as a whole, should we not ensure we leave those who will contribute more and take less from society? Is that not fairer on everyone else rather than taking away some of those who would contribute lots?

Just some things to think about....

I really do love the predicament that Torchwood has brought up here...so many ways you can look in to the situation

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say, with some of the priveleged kids taken if not many it would give the less priveleged more chance and probably not much would change since the strongest of the weak would become strong.

Though I wish some chavs would be culled lol but like I just said if the richer kids didnt exist maybe the chavs would take their place and become better people.

ReputationRep:
    Random selection, but my kids exempt. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rear ten kids under lab conditions specifically for this purpose... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I'd rear ten kids under lab conditions specifically for this purpose... :P
    Sadly there wouldnt be any time for that. On Torchwood they only had 24hrs to round up the children.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose all the children on TSR so I can have it all to myself :awesome: Also, on a side note, imagining a chav getting used for drugs by one of those things is kinda funny... NYA DING WHAT YA THINK UR DOING AAAAAH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Sadly there wouldnt be any time for that. On Torchwood they only had 24hrs to round up the children.
    Darn! Penniless orphans it is, then.

ReputationRep:
    Darn! Penniless orphans it is, then.
    Well thats who they chose in 1965. 12 children from a home, who wouldnt be missed by anyone.......which I find really heartbreaking .

ReputationRep:
    I would choose all the children with mental disabilities first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    As I said on the first page of this thread, I'd fight to the death rather than make this choice. I couldn't choose the children to go, nor be involved in giving them away, and I'd sooner die myself than make that decision.
    I'm not a parent, but I also know that I'd similarly fight to the death for my youngest sibling, to avoid him having that fate. Yes, I'd do the same for anyone else's children, but protecting my brother would still be the strongest motive.
    I can understand that. But what if the choice was to choose who went or they all die?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    I can understand that. But what if the choice was to choose who went or they all die?
    Personally, as harsh as it is (and I realise this is a negative psychological thing and would be terrible), I'd rather all died than I have to pick the ones that do.

I could condemn all children by lack of action at the expense of my own life far more easily than I could condemn specific ones by choice, as terrible as that makes me.

ReputationRep:
    Well thats who they chose in 1965. 12 children from a home, who wouldnt be missed by anyone.......which I find really heartbreaking .
    Yes, but less heartbreaking than choosing kids who have parents to mourn their loss, no?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but less heartbreaking than choosing kids who have parents to mourn their loss, no?
    Yes I suppose it is. I"m a parent and would hate to think of my kids all alone in the world without me to love them, care for them, kiss them good night etc. .

ReputationRep:
    Yes I suppose it is. I"m a parent and would hate to think of my kids all alone in the world without me to love them, care for them, kiss them good night etc. .
    If you gave your children up though, they would save the world... I'm not a parent here so I can't know how it would feel, but there must be some consolation in that they would not be lost in vain.

ReputationRep:
    If you gave your children up though, they would save the world... I'm not a parent here so I can't know how it would feel, but there must be some consolation in that they would not be lost in vain.
    While they would have made the sacrifice and saved the rest of the world. They wouldnt be here.....I would hate to be without my kids, they are the world to me.

ReputationRep:
    While they would have made the sacrifice and saved the rest of the world. They wouldnt be here.....I would hate to be without my kids, they are the world to me.
    Ah, the dilemma... Does one care more for oneself, or the human race?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the dilemma... Does one care more for oneself, or the human race?
    Precisely this. I would just hate to make the choice .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.