Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Universities allow students in with just GCSE's as a qualification? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, title of the thread says it all. I know London South Bank University does, but do any others? xx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think ANY did? Do you mean for a foundation course or an actual degree?

ReputationRep:
    an actual degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckykins-x)
    an actual degree
    Again, I didn't think any did - but what do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    OP, I read your profile and it says you're going to start A levels soon? I'm a little confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why havent you got any a-levels anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Well University of Bedfordshire I think.but I think they require very low A-levels like E grades not GCSE's
    Not sure

ReputationRep:
    The only circumstances where I can imagine anywhere would do that would be in the case of mature students who had alot of relevant experience in the area of their degree subject.

As far as I know, there isnt anywhere that will let a 16 year old, straight from GCSEs in with JUST their GCSEs alone.
    GCSEs are nothing by comparrison to a degree, it would make no sense to do that.

Could you perhaps be confusing this with GCSE equivelent access courses for Maths and English (ie for people who dont have GCSE English and maths at Grade C or above?)

Some places will let you in with say 2 As levels in place of 1 A-level (alongside other A-levels) but thats all I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London South Bank Uni)
    Undergraduates applying for any of our Undergraduate Degrees, Foundation Degrees or HNC/D courses will typically need to have GCSE passes in 5 subjects at Grade C or above including English Language and Mathematics, (some courses require GCSE passes in other specified subjects, so do check the specific course for details. We also accept a pass in the Key Skills Qualification at Level 2 in place of GCSE English and Mathematics).

In addition to meeting the above, for each of our undergraduate courses we typically desire a certain amount of UCAS Tariff points and the required amount is given on each entry of our online course search and in our prospectus. All qualifications achieved at a level comparable to GCE 'A' Level or BTEC Nationals can be included within this total.
    You can't go there with just GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a serious question is it?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of teaching is there at a uni which requires EE to get in though? I mean, people who can only get EE surely wouldn't be able to cope with learning even 1% of a degree course, no?

ReputationRep:
    Many Scottish Universities will let you in with good AS's.... But gsces no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerophelistica)
    What kind of teaching is there at a uni which requires EE to get in though? I mean, people who can only get EE surely wouldn't be able to cope with learning even 1% of a degree course, no?
    Christ's Cambridge give EE offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Yes... but for an entirely different reason than, say, TVU

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:

Not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    You can get onto a foundation degree course with just GCSEs and then top up, but this is only applicable to mature students, I think. I have found a few universities which let students in with just GCSEs, but the courses offered tend to be less traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Actually... I know someone who has a degree who has no highers, only standard grades.

They're in their 40s, and got in through adult learning (where life/work experience etc is taken into account), did a one year access course, then did their degree as normal.

OP- I don't think there is any, TVU included. If you get AABB (I think) in AS, some Scottish universities will consider you (as its a four year degree as standard in Scotland), but even then, most will ask for A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    you'd still have to take two A Levels though

but they give EE offers to the best people who are already guaranteed to get all A's at A Level.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.