Turn on thread page Beta

A level choices to study accounting or actuarial sciences at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am going to sixth form college in september and currently thinking of become an accountant or an actuary, so i was wondering if these a levels would put me in good stead for uni

Maths
    Economics
    ICT
    Psychology

If not what do you suggest
    thanks

ps im new to tsr so sorry if i have done something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Those are pretty good choices, maths is essential, economics will help, psychology and ICT are average but uni's will probably value psychology more, so if you were to drop one after AS i would reccomend to drop ICT.

ReputationRep:
    Also...maybe choosing a science instead of psychology or ICT would be good, and furthermore have you considered further maths?

ReputationRep:
    Drop ICT and pick up Chemistry I'd say, that would bring your chances up a lot more but depends where you want to study lol

ReputationRep:
    Drop ICT and Psychology, pick up a science and Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    drop ict and psycology and pick up a science or even a history/language i am doing maths economics german history and further maths(AS) and ive been told its a great combination for this type of courses/economics as there all respected and theres lots of variety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    Drop ICT and Psychology, pick up a science and Further Maths.

This was exactly my response

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why there is suggestion about taking a science subject. Allystar is confident that he/she wants to take a degree for the financial sector. So I'm saying taking any science subject would not be useful.

So for me, assuming you want to take degree in actuarial science or accounting, my advice for you is to take
    1) Mathematics
    You need it for degree in actuarial science or accounting.
    2) Economics
    Economics might give you the extra knowledge that might help you for the economics module for actuarial science or accounting
    3) Accounting
    This is if you're confused whether to take actuarial science or accounting in uni. This might help you in deciding what to take for degree. I know this cause I was in the similar situation. I end up going towards actuarial science, not because accounting is hard, it was because I'm more interested and passionate in mathematics.
    4) Further Maths
    This is useful if you're able to take it and you can have the advantage when you apply to top universities or apply for actuarial science.

I was at the similar situation. So I took Mathematics, Business Studies, Accounting and Design Technology. I did As DT only as they can't give me Further Maths as it it clashes with my Business Studies and Accounting. So I intended to do As Further Maths but I ended up not doing it cause it wasn't that useful for my uni choice.

So yea, it depends if you're aiming for the top 10 universities or 15 or not. It might be useful to take further maths but A level Mathematics is essential and taking accounting might be useful for your first year if you're planning to take accounting degree.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.M. M)
    I don't understand why there is suggestion about taking a science subject. Allystar is confident that he/she wants to take a degree for the financial sector. So I'm saying taking any science subject would not be useful.
    It's not all about being useful. Physics is heavily quantitative with applied maths, which is a change to normal maths, and generally, the sciences are a solid, respectable A Level, whereas ICT is not.

Instead of ICT, why not try Computing, OP?

ReputationRep:
    wow guys thank you all for your answers i really value every one because i am so stuck with college subjects.
    while maths and economics are a cert for me, before i decided on pyschology and ict i was thinking about chemistry biology and accounting as well and i have reasons for not stating them.
    i know chemistry would really show my intelligence (if i did well) and capability, however am i wrong in thinking that it would be useless in both careers? also i know that it is supposed to be quite hard in college, so while i know that i would be capable of doing it, i probs wont enjoy it.
    i am more interested in biology than chemistry, but would biology alone seem pointless? i really dont know.
    and for accounting, yes this was a big option for me and i did try it out on a college induction day. however i have been told by a lot of people that if i choose accounting at uni, they start from the begining assuming no prior knowledge, so would it be more worth while to study something else, also if i had maths economics and accounting, does this show that i am only good in one area? the same applies for further maths?

as for ict, i dont really like it but as pretty much everything relies on computers nowadays i thought unis/employers would find it desireable, am i wrong?

finally, psychology is something i am interested and i know that it is thought as a "soft" subject so i will reconsider

to why so serious - isnt computing more programming and making computers? why do you think it would be worth while

i am soooo sorry for rambling, if you have read all this i am truely grateful!!!

ReputationRep:
    if you want to take an actuarial science degree at a top uni, e.g. LSE, further maths would be beneficial. if i remember correctly in the requirements LSE states having further maths as "highly desirable".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    It's not all about being useful. Physics is heavily quantitative with applied maths, which is a change to normal maths, and generally, the sciences are a solid, respectable A Level, whereas ICT is not.

Instead of ICT, why not try Computing, OP?
    Yes, I agree that sciences are solid,respectable subjects. But I'm not sure if Chemistry or Biology will be the useful for Accounting or Actuarial Science. He/She wants to be in the financial sector so for me, studying science up to GCSE was enough.

But I'm not saying that you can't take them. If you enjoy the subject and will do great in it, you should. It would be much better to apply for universities with better grades.

So
    for me, this is a good combo.
    1) Maths
    2) and Economics

3/4) Accounting
    To see whether you want to continue studying accounting or pursue in Maths degree.

3/4) Any subject that you would enjoy and do well.

3/4) Further Mathematics
    Might be useful.

But the standard for sciences is more difficult in A level. I know a few of my friends who didn't take any sciences and got offers for non-science degree from top universities like LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. They only took subjects like Econs, Business, Psychology, Maths, Accounting, DT, Media and others.

Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics.

The more mathematical the better (y)

ReputationRep:
    ok there is no chance that i will do physics, i think i would struggle so so much!
    so my new questions are really:

-how worth while would doing accounting be, i mean i they start at the begining at uni, would i have wasted an a level, or would they see it as i benefit?
    -would i be at a disadvantage if i didnt do a science? (chances are if i did, it would be chemistry)
    - and is ict undesirable? i would have thought in this day and age as accountants and actuaries use computers a lot, it would be necessary?

thanks for your in puts again!

ps i am a she

oh i forgot to say, because i havent really dont accounting before i dont really know how well i would do and i find science more difficult than maths subjects, if a universities entry requirements were AAA and i got a B in science or accounting, whereas i could get an A in one of the easier subjects, ict or psychology, which one would i be more likely to be accepted for? the b in a more highly desired subject or an A in an easier one? thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by allystar)
    ok there is no chance that i will do physics, i think i would struggle so so much!
    so my new questions are really:

-how worth while would doing accounting be, i mean i they start at the begining at uni, would i have wasted an a level, or would they see it as i benefit?
    -would i be at a disadvantage if i didnt do a science? (chances are if i did, it would be chemistry)
    - and is ict undesirable? i would have thought in this day and age as accountants and actuaries use computers a lot, it would be necessary?

thanks for your in puts again!

ps i am a she

oh i forgot to say, because i havent really dont accounting before i dont really know how well i would do and i find science more difficult than maths subjects, if a universities entry requirements were AAA and i got a B in science or accounting, whereas i could get an A in one of the easier subjects, ict or psychology, which one would i be more likely to be accepted for? the b in a more highly desired subject or an A in an easier one? thanks
    Don't do physics. It's horrible! :no:

Firstly your choices depend on the standard of university you want to be applying to. What's desirable for Oxbridge might be different to what's desirable for another university.

Secondly, take a look at this thread showing A-levels and their relative difficulty and uni admissions selection criteria.

For instance this shows, that accounting and ICT are both really only suitable as a fourth A-level. Since accounting is not very respected, and it will be taught from scratch (and probably in a completely different way) at degree level, I wouldn't recommend taking it. Besides I'd imagine it to be quite a dull A-level.
    So only take one out of ICT and accounting if you really one to do one of them.

Now lets look at your choices.

Maths: Excellent choice. Maths = :cool:

Economics: Another good choice. A very interesting subject and well respected by universities. :cool:

ICT: I guess it's actually a decent A-level if you learn about Excel and stuff. However even though it might be helpful for a career, it won't be as helpful for getting into a good university.

Psychology: A good A-level, better than accounting and IT. Could be worthwhile doing it if you're interested in it.

And please don't choose subjects because you think they'll be easier to get an A in. It doesn't really work like that, because universities know which are the easier subjects. Choose them because:

- You're interested in them
    - They are a decent, respected subject
    - You think you'll be able to do well in them
    - The course(s) you want to apply for require or desire them

For instance if you're not interested in Chemistry and don't think you'll do well it in, don't do it because it's one of the hardest subjects at A-level. It doesn't really relate to finance anyway.

So, lots of rambling. But most of your choices are ok, in my opinion. But consider switching ICT for something like:

- A language
    - History
    - Geography
    - English
    - Further Maths

Make sure you think about which degree you want to do, which unis you think you could get into and what subjects they'd like.

Oh and if you really want to go into accountancy, I heard from Ernst and Young (one of the big accountancy firms) yesterday that they do a degree at Lancaster University. Not sure if it's any good, but it does get you into Ernst and Young and you'll have already completed 7 out of the accountancy exams, although it's a little narrow and closed to other careers. May be worth having a look at. May not be.

http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departme...uate/eydegree/

Hope that helps.
    Greg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics.

The more mathematical the better (y)
    Yeah, that would be the ideal combination. Apart from Physics being a toughy subject, it probably doesn't seem relevant in finance. However, some of the models are in fact quite applicable in finance, namely the famous Black-Scholes equation (e.g. here), which you learn in Actuarial Science and I guess the Finance part in an Accounting and Finance degree.

For actuarial science you will have to be proficient in accounting and finance, which is CT2 exemption, I believe. Although you won't go into the theory of a&f, you will need to be able to do balance sheets, income statements, cashflow statements, investment appraisals (with options), as well as finance topics like WACC, etc.

It's a common misconception that a degree in actuarial science narrows your choices in terms of career. It doesn't. You could quite easily get into the accounting profession with it, mainly due to its rigour, and the number of skill areas the degree covers, most of which are actually applicable to real life finance (more so than e.g. straight Economics, imo).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A-Level Maths is the only subject you'll actually need to study either Accounting or Actuarial Science. Apart from that, choose subjects which you enjoy and will do well in (obviously try and pick respectable subjects, though don't opt for Physics for example just because it's quantitative and respectable - make sure you enjoy the subject and will do well in it as well!).

ReputationRep:
    also to the people who are studying actuarial science or accounting at uni now, how are you finding it?
    what a levels did you take and what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that greg i found it really helpful.
    but is it serious that further maths is a first a level? surely if i took it i would drop it at the end of first year, i mean i need to give myself a break.
    so the general consensus from you guys seems to be maths economics further maths and a science. but if i take further maths can i not count psychology as my science? and if i took those 4 subjects would you be reccomending to me to drop psychology?
    ill go back to the question on entry requirements,
    say i took maths economics and psychology and got AAA
    or
    maths economics and further maths and got AAB
    if they entry requirements were AAA, i would be more likely to get in with the first ones right?
    thanks again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by allystar)
    say i took maths economics and psychology and got AAA
    or
    maths economics and further maths and got AAB
    if they entry requirements were AAA, i would be more likely to get in with the first ones right?
    If your offer was AAA, then you would need AAA irrespective of the subjects (providing you met the subject-specific requirements).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2009

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.