Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not dumb at math but I CAN'T do Quantitative Reasoning UKCAT, please please help Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reicey_x)
    First of all, i have the 600 question book. Are all the real UKCAT questions that detailed?

I spend like 10 minutes on a scenario, you're supposedto spend 3.5.

I just cannot get the questions right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I revised all my GCSE stuff but I still get it wrong. It's like I over think some questions. I'm really struggling.

I suggest you go on New Media Medicine in the UKCAT Section if you want some helpful advice/tips. there's no point asking for help on here as alot of people on TSR are ******* and will just spam and call you stupid.

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/ukcat/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    I suggest you go on New Media Medicine in the UKCAT Section if you want some helpful advice/tips. there's no point asking for help on here as alot of people on TSR are ******* and will just spam and call you stupid.

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/ukcat/

NMM is a medicine only forum, here any one can come along and answer rubbish.

There is your difference, but all the people on NMM use TSR as well so its the same medics giving the advice.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    BMAT FOR THE WIN!
    who else agrees

ReputationRep:
    vas876- i don't think you know how the SGUL admissions process works. they interview pretty much everyone, so their post interview success rates are much lower than for say ucl or king's. hence, they don't look at ukcat for interview selection. they do use it, however, to differentiate between people they put on the waiting list post-interview (supposedly the ones who perform less well on the day).

also as for king's. they do remove people based on their ukcat score/GCSEs, but they do say that somewhere (website/prospectus/at the open day- it may not be in the most obvious section of the website). but there's no reason why some other aspect of a person's application can't explain or make up for such "problems"- so they won't necessarily remove everyone for that reason before interview. similarly, someone may have a reasonable number of A*s or As and a relatively good ukcat, but may not have the required grades in gcse science/english/maths.

ReputationRep:
    clad in armour, no way. the bmat is worse because you don't get to find out your results before decididng where to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    BMAT FOR THE WIN!
    who else agrees
    That test is such a massive risk. Do well in it and you're fine, do badly and you can wipe 1 or 2 of your choices out straight. I think it's a much better test though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another ib-er)
    clad in armour, no way. the bmat is worse because you don't get to find out your results before decididng where to apply.
    yes but in terms of the actual test content its way nicer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    That test is such a massive risk. Do well in it and you're fine, do badly and you can wipe 1 or 2 of your choices out straight. I think it's a much better test though.
    I probably only think that because I do Bio, Chem, Phys, and Maths at AS which is a great help, because you dont have to bother revising

ReputationRep:
    BMAT FOR THE WIN!
    who else agrees

I agree. It may be more "difficult" than the UKCAT, but it seems less luck-based.

ReputationRep:
    I probably only think that because I do Bio, Chem, Phys, and Maths at AS which is a great help, because you dont have to bother revising
    I wouldn't get too complacent about it. From what I gather (I've never sat it myself), it's a much harder test than the CAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reicey_x)
    First of all, i have the 600 question book. Are all the real UKCAT questions that detailed?

I spend like 10 minutes on a scenario, you're supposedto spend 3.5.

I just cannot get the questions right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I revised all my GCSE stuff but I still get it wrong. It's like I over think some questions. I'm really struggling.

just to make sure... you do know that you're provided with a calculator right?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I agree. It may be more "difficult" than the UKCAT, but it seems less luck-based.
    exactly! its a written exam as well, which by now everyone'll have done loads of so your used to a lot of things and best of all you can actually prepare for it unlike the UKCAT where you can "prepare" for it

I guess its just familiar

ReputationRep:
    Saro_656, that is a valid point.

clad in armour, maybe that's why you like it. i remember being very worried about random as physics questions that i wouldn't know the answer to (as i didn't do as physics), but there's usually only 1 of those if any. i liked section 2, but section 1 is pretty much like the ukcat anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    NMM is a medicine only forum, here any one can come along and answer rubbish.

There is your difference, but all the people on NMM use TSR as well so its the same medics giving the advice.

LOL
    I wasn't asking for the difference thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I wouldn't get too complacent about it. From what I gather (I've never sat it myself), it's a much harder test than the CAT.
    dude im very unlikely to sit it but Id much rather sit it any day of the week, anyone who knows me knows that complacency and exams are never affiliated
    you want to find out for yourself and look at some past papers just good old fashioned pencil and paper and your brain

ReputationRep:
    exactly! its a written exam as well, which by now everyone'll have done loads of so your used to a lot of things and best of all you can actually prepare for it unlike the UKCAT where you can "prepare" for it

I guess its just familiar

Hmm seeing as you are doing both... You know the "argument" stuff in BMAT Section 1, about conclusions, assumptions etc. You don't need that for UKCAT Verbal Reasoning, do you, cos the VR is more just simple true/false/can't tell?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm seeing as you are doing both... You know the "argument" stuff in BMAT Section 1, about conclusions, assumptions etc. You don't need that for UKCAT Verbal Reasoning, do you, cos the VR is more just simple true/false/can't tell?
    argument stuff?
    i thought it was Aptitude and Skills, Scientific Knowledge and Applications and the Writing task
    but yes the UKCAT does have its merits i.e. just the true false thing

ReputationRep:
    argument stuff?
    i thought it was Aptitude and Skills, Scientific Knowledge and Applications and the Writing task
    but yes the UKCAT does have its merits i.e. just the true false thing
    Argument stuff is part of Aptitude and Skills. The argument stuff is the passages - you need to know about premises/conclusions/assumptions etc.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_3.pdf
    guys look at the 3rd question, its scary
    who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    Argument stuff is part of Aptitude and Skills. The argument stuff is the passages - you need to know about premises/conclusions/assumptions etc.
    I havnt done 2 Critical Thinking exams for nothing
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.