Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I havnt done 2 Critical Thinking exams for nothing
    lol
    Yeah well basically my question is, do you need to know that stuff for the UKCAT or not?

ReputationRep:
    Dr Dom-Dom, you're right about people applying without checking the requirements, but the fact is that quite a few people do that, hence the rejections before interview- and hence why I wrote that in reply to vas876's comments. I wasn't saying that people should rely on extenuating circumstances- I just meant that such things would influence King's, hence, unlike what vas876 said, it's not a universal policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Yeah well basically my question is, do you need to know that stuff for the UKCAT or not?
    and my answer is I dont know
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by another ib-er)
    Dr Dom-Dom, you're right about people applying without checking the requirements, but the fact is that quite a few people do that, hence the rejections before interview- and hence why I wrote that in reply to vas876's comments. I wasn't saying that people should rely on extenuating circumstances- I just meant that such things would influence King's, hence, unlike what vas876 said, it's not a universal policy.
    I never said it was universal policy, but its what they use to narrow down 90% of applicants. And most people including you will find yourself in that 90%. (Not they reject 90% of applicants but 90% of applicants will be narrowed down by the UKCAT and A* @ GCSE system, the other 10% will be borderline and PS, AS and reference will be used more)

^ This is only for kings BTW, st Georges are different as they interview everyone who meets their grade criteria.

My initial statement was not in reference to st Georges it was a general statement and i used Kings as an example as their admissions policy does not tell the whole story.

One you actually go through an admissions cycle you will understand what i mean, by not telling the whole story these things are only found through feedback from people who are rejected.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine, tbh, the UKCAT is just a game of luck. i actually cant do maths, but ended up getting the highest mark on the quantitative part. 670 i think, and i guessed, 80% of the questions, because i was just running out of time.

ONe thing though, with the UKCAT, answer as many questions as you can, and leave the last 2 mins for guessing in section where u run out of time, because its better to guess the last few questions and finish the section, than not finish all the questions at all. afterall theres a 25% chance of your guess being right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadakiss)
    you'll be fine, tbh, the UKCAT is just a game of luck. i actually cant do maths, but ended up getting the highest mark on the quantitative part. 670 i think, and i guessed, 80% of the questions, because i was just running out of time.

ONe thing though, with the UKCAT, answer as many questions as you can, and leave the last 2 mins for guessing in section where u run out of time, because its better to guess the last few questions and finish the section, than not finish all the questions at all. afterall theres a 25% chance of your guess being right.
    how did you get 670 if you cant do a percentage lol its 20%

i just did the practise questions on this from how to pass the uk clinical spptitude test book and what can i say its the easiest thing i have ever done, i got 30/30 hoever that was in 26 minutes wen i shuold only have 17

in the 17 mins i would get 16 right plus 4 for guessing A for all th remaining questions so get 20/30

i dont see whats hard about it just read it then do what it says all you need to know is mean median range and mode? simples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleboy786)
    how did you get 670 if you cant do a percentage lol its 20%

i just did the practise questions on this from how to pass the uk clinical spptitude test book and what can i say its the easiest thing i have ever done, i got 30/30 hoever that was in 26 minutes wen i shuold only have 17

in the 17 mins i would get 16 right plus 4 for guessing A for all th remaining questions so get 20/30

i dont see whats hard about it just read it then do what it says all you need to know is mean median range and mode? simples

mistake, thought there ere 4 options, did the test last yr.
    but true i am rubbish at maths anyways it was luck. and bdw the prctise tests on the website are much easier than that in the real test.
    i would suggest using the textbook, forgot wat its called now, but it available in waterstones, about 15 quid. thats really good for all the sections.

ReputationRep:
    appleboy786, that book you are talking about has ridiculously easy questions. Do the questions on the ukcat website (i.e. the practice tests)- they will give you a much better indication of the difficulty level.

vas876- I have just been through an admissions cycle (and been rejected by king's post-interview) and I do know people who have been rejected without an interview. I never denied that they use the system, I just disagreed with the statement that they don't tell anyone what they do (they just try and disguise it). As for SGUL- I wanted to let people know that it might be worth applying there, if they don't get over 600 or whatever they might need for universities which have a cut-off, or look for a certain high range or use a system like king's.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    vas876- I have just been through an admissions cycle (and been rejected by king's post-interview) and I do know people who have been rejected without an interview. I never denied that they use the system, I just disagreed with the statement that they don't tell anyone what they do (they just try and disguise it). As for SGUL- I wanted to let people know that it might be worth applying there, if they don't get over 600 or whatever they might need for universities which have a cut-off, or look for a certain high range or use a system like king's.
    My ENTIRE point!

They don't tell the us everything, hence they don't tell us the entire truth, therefore the system is not as transparent as they would like us to believe.

ReputationRep:
    No, they do tell you. They just make it hard to find- but it can be found out, even before applying (knowing about the system was part of the reason I applied to king's- I thought I'd get an interview and I was right). I found out about it somewhere on the King's website/prospectus/open day (I can't remember which).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, they do tell you. They just make it hard to find- but it can be found out, even before applying (knowing about the system was part of the reason I applied to king's- I thought I'd get an interview and I was right). I found out about it somewhere on the King's website/prospectus/open day (I can't remember which).
    Open Day! They tell at the open day.

ReputationRep:
    vas876- I think it's time for us to stop dominating this thread.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    vas876- I think it's time for us to stop dominating this thread.

We are arguing the same point, you don't seem to like to call the medical schools liers which is by definition what they are, but its all good.

ReputationRep:
    So back to the UKCAT...

Anyone who is taking it this year, remember that not answering every single question will not make you fail the test- just concentrate on the ones you can do, and make educated guesses for the rest. I missed out about 10 questions in the QR section and still got 770.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you're not dumb at math but the test is not designed to see if you are good at maths but whether you can think quickly on your feet and the time limit. There are a few things to bear in mind though:
    1 - Not all questions are hard but so some can be and, besides, some can have a long text to read. So success rests on being able to scan the information quuickly to see where things are if you need them.
    2 - You can get a good score by not completing the section. The UKCAT is marked in a funny way. So if you even do half of the questions you will be okay
    3 - Allow 5 minutes at the end of the test to guess what you couldn't do. You have a 20% chance of getting it right so you might as well answer all the questions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rudyrabbit)
    Of course you're not dumb at math but the test is not designed to see if you are good at maths but whether you can think quickly on your feet and the time limit. There are a few things to bear in mind though:
    1 - Not all questions are hard but so some can be and, besides, some can have a long text to read. So success rests on being able to scan the information quuickly to see where things are if you need them.
    2 - You can get a good score by not completing the section. The UKCAT is marked in a funny way. So if you even do half of the questions you will be okay
    3 - Allow 5 minutes at the end of the test to guess what you couldn't do. You have a 20% chance of getting it right so you might as well answer all the questions.
    1. Yep

2. WRONG!

3. Exactly so this rules out 2, as you have to answer all the questions to get a good score. (regardless of whether you guess the last half)

ReputationRep:
    How can you say that (2) is wrong!? there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people who scored 700 having completed just over half.
    (3) merely says that you can get an even better score by guessing the rest. Would be dumm to miss out.

Get your facts right before you start arguing. A fundamental criterion for being a good doctor!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rudyrabbit)
    How can you say that (2) is wrong!? there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people who scored 700 having completed just over half.
    (3) merely says that you can get an even better score by guessing the rest. Would be dumm to miss out.

Get your facts right before you start arguing. A fundamental criterion for being a good doctor!

That's not possible, the "600 UKCAT questions" book has revealed details about the marking, to get a high score with only completing about half is not possible unless they guessed the remaining questions.

Don't start and argument with me unless YOU have your facts right!, and most members of this forum know that to be true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    That's not possible, the "600 UKCAT questions" book has revealed details about the marking, to get a high score with only completing about half is not possible unless they guessed the remaining questions.

Don't start and argument with me unless YOU have your facts right!, and most members of this forum know that to be true!
    I'd certainly like to see a source for this, as I've never heard anything about that. Besides, how do you know the book isn't guessing aswell?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I'd certainly like to see a source for this, as I've never heard anything about that. Besides, how do you know the book isn't guessing aswell?
    Because based on the result i received in VR and QR what the book would have given me is about right.

in the QR where i answered 22/44 questions Correctly, i checked the twice to make sure, so i know i got at least 20/22 correct, and the score i got and what the book would have given me are the same.

So i doubt its a guess.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.