Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not dumb at math but I CAN'T do Quantitative Reasoning UKCAT, please please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Because based on the result i received in VR and QR what the book would have given me is about right.

in the QR where i answered 22/44 questions Correctly, i checked the twice to make sure, so i know i got at least 20/22 correct, and the score i got and what the book would have given me are the same.

So i doubt its a guess.
    That's all anecdotal though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Degausser)
    That's all anecdotal though.

Its the best we have to a marking method that make sense!

ReputationRep:
    Right. Anecdotal is the point I was making. So don't start presenting it as fact and tell others they are wrong. As I said before, noone knows. And it is a FACT that some people have got a high mark doing only half of the QR section, though for some reason, the same cannot be said of the other sections.

ReputationRep:
    When I did QR it was appaling - I skipped soo many questions and only answered very few correctly yet my score was well above average at like 780 for QR I think so yeh perfection is not nessesary..

ReputationRep:
    So little help in this thread!

I'm pretty good at maths and yet this is my worst section too.. in all the practices I get around 35% :|

What I'm doing is:

1) Got a higher level GCSE maths book and working through the questions I think are worth it. If anything this will help my speed at maths & mental abilities. Not going to hurt
    2) i've developed a method to tackling the questions that suit me. I'm now doing the UKCAT questions without a time limit, but making sure I'm getting them write, to ensure I know how to do them well
    3) When I've completed section 2 I will introduce a time limit so that I can use my method well under pressure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    So little help in this thread!

I'm pretty good at maths and yet this is my worst section too.. in all the practices I get around 35% :|

What I'm doing is:

1) Got a higher level GCSE maths book and working through the questions I think are worth it. If anything this will help my speed at maths & mental abilities. Not going to hurt
    2) i've developed a method to tackling the questions that suit me. I'm now doing the UKCAT questions without a time limit, but making sure I'm getting them write, to ensure I know how to do them well
    3) When I've completed section 2 I will introduce a time limit so that I can use my method well under pressure
    If your using the 600 question book the actual quantative reasoning questions are alot harder than the actual test. You will not be presented with so much information to work from like in the book. The questions are very easy, just use the official ukcat practice test for a more reflective level of difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbu)
    If your using the 600 question book the actual quantative reasoning questions are alot harder than the actual test. You will not be presented with so much information to work from like in the book. The questions are very easy, just use the official ukcat practice test for a more reflective level of difficulty.
    But getting used to harder questions surely isn't a bad thing, just means you will find the actual test easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbu)
    I actually disagree. Some of the UKCAT practise site questions for QR are quite hard because they do contain lots of information. And to build on Lekky's point, there is not much point practising all the easy stuff at length. What is important too is not to be phased out by the harder questions.

Out of all the books around the 600 UKCAT practice questions is probably the one that will prepare you the best. And maybe, having used it, this is why you found the exam easy after all :yes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.