Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at learning a langauge and want to learn the most effective one for the future, I'm looking at a job in Business so with that in mind what would be the best?

Also this will be the first time I've learnt a language since Year 9 at school, would it be better to learn an easier language (e.g. French/Spanish) before attempting a difficult language (e.g. Mandarin) or would it make no real difference at all?

ReputationRep:
    Generally the business language is English, though Mandarin may be useful.
    German is fairly widely spoken if you're looking at European business, though French may be better as a foundation for a wider business aspiration.

ReputationRep:
    Japanese, Mandarin or Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you're "new" to learning languages it might be nice to start with French, just to build up confidence and general learning skills.
    Mandarin, is the language I'd recommend for business. Spanish is great also, and even better if you're enjoying French which is similar.

ReputationRep:
    German is extremely useful, alot of people at Warwick do Business and German. It's the UK's second biggest trading partner (i think), and numbers of people who can speak it in England are dwindling. Following that would probably be Mandarin / Russian, possibly Arabic.
    Are you looking at this for a degree or generally? If the former, be aware that with most language courses at uni (especially if you do joint honours), you are also expected to also study the culture, history etc of a country, so take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Try Arabic if you want to be situated somewhere like Dubai. Although, many people in Government and business offices speak English, due to a lot of Europeans and Americans being hired there.

Mandarin is supposed to be good seeing as it's supposed to be the next super power.

Or you could try spanish and go South America, not many people from Europe go there as far as I am aware, so could be a good place to look for a job with UK qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, aside from like, Estonian, most languages will be 'good' for business, simply because they are spoken by lots of people, which of course opens up business link with those people!

As many have said, Mandarin is probably the way forward, but unless you're REALLY dedicated, and have a talent for languages, I'd stick to something a little more straight-forward for now. Portuguese might be recommendable, as it's spoken in Brazil, one of the so-called 'upcoming countries', in economic terms. Aside from that, French, German and Spanish are all very useful, and it'll be easier to self-teach these, as there are generally a lot of teaching books/guides out there, as they're such common languages to learn. :awesome:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What area of business are you interested in? Something like electronics for example would benefit from Japenese or Chinese... Oil obviously requires Arabic and coffee, sugar etc Spanish and Portuguese would be useful for.

I'd say don't waste your time with French - there really isn't any benefit at all in my opinion. It's not the easiest language to learn nor is it particularly widespread. Unless interested in African business (mining etc).

German is also similar to French in my opinion... All Germans generally have a better command of English than a Brit does of German. And in business English is used rather than the long winded German.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What is up with people saying Mandarin? Unless you want to live in China its a very poor choice. The Chinese you will likely have contact with in any business situation will almost certainly speak English.

I'd go for German or Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    I'd say don't waste your time with French - there really isn't any benefit at all in my opinion. It's not the easiest language to learn nor is it particularly widespread. Unless interested in African business (mining etc).
    French is one of the 6 main working languages of the UN.

ReputationRep:
    ^ but why does he need French when he already speaks one of the other 6 main working languages of the UN?

Also... How many people actually end up working for the UN? Very few, thus my original argument still stands.

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking Mandarin, English and Spanish would be the most useful, as they are the most widely spoken languages in the world

ReputationRep:
    Depending on where you are gonna work... but usually English, Mandarin then possible Spanish or French.

English is usually the most important as its spoken in all the major countries.
    Mandarin as China is up and coming and could be crucial in years to come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    What area of business are you interested in? Something like electronics for example would benefit from Japenese or Chinese... Oil obviously requires Arabic and coffee, sugar etc Spanish and Portuguese would be useful for.

German is also similar to French in my opinion... All Germans generally have a better command of English than a Brit does of German. And in business English is used rather than the long winded German.
    No, as a general rule Germans will do business in English only if they are wanting imports. For exporting goods (which I believe they do a lot more of) the vast majority of German businesses will only do business in German. Given it's the second biggest European exporter of goods, I'd say that German is quite an important language to learn for business and is certainly not in the same league as French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner)
    No, as a general rule Germans will do business in English only if they are wanting imports. For exporting goods (which I believe they do a lot more of) the vast majority of German businesses will only do business in German. Given it's the second biggest European exporter of goods, I'd say that German is quite an important language to learn for business and is certainly not in the same league as French.
    Whatever. That's your opinion/experience. I said mine and it remains the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2009

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.