Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what to do over the summer hols to boost PS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hello i am currently in year 12 and applying to uni 2010 to study Law (with possibly Cambridge being one of my choices) I am looking for advice on what to do over these summer holidays to boost my personal statement and to make me 'different' to other candidates.

Any help will be much appreciated (or any links to places which would be of any benefit to me )

ReputationRep:
    maybe try and get some work experience in a law firm ?

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary work - shops, events etc.

ReputationRep:
    work expirience, part time job, voluntary work, general extra activities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    maybe try and get some work experience in a law firm ?
    I am in a similar situation, but I seriously doubt you will be able to get work experience over the summer now, I have tried over 60 places and have got nothing for this summer, however I have had some luck for in the autumn, you might just have to say that you have some work experience planned. And if Cambridge (and for that matter other very competitive courses) is your preffered choice it wont make much difference anyway,law is an academic subject, not a vocational one, they care about your academicness and interest in the subject, as long as you have done enough to prove you are interested in it, there is not much that you can do in the way of CV enhancing activities

ReputationRep:
    thank you (i too have tried for work exp - to no success) would there be any specific things, such as courses to do that Cambridge would like/ prefer?

ReputationRep:
    I am basically posting this as i have seen a major flaw in my PS planning most of it is 'school based'...

ReputationRep:
    You could try volunteering at Citizens Advice Bureau, I think you need to be over 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    work expirience, part time job, voluntary work, general extra activities
    what sort of general extra activites do you recommend?

(sorry with all these questions im just so confused :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikimoto)
    You could try volunteering at Citizens Advice Bureau, I think you need to be over 16.
    does that include 16?

ReputationRep:
    I think so, but you could email to check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugaloaf)
    thank you (i too have tried for work exp - to no success) would there be any specific things, such as courses to do that Cambridge would like/ prefer?
    For Cambridge, I would just read a good newspaper (probably The Times) and make sure you are up to date with all stuff law-related. And have an opinion on stories in the news about certain laws.

ReputationRep:
    read the news (law related bits of it anyway) and do some general reading around the subjects that interest you. For Cambridge its going to depend so much on your interview.

other ideas: Maybe write a law blog or law column in a magazine? start a law society? i dunno

ReputationRep:
    ive already been to an event at a london university which gave a workshop on Law and i have booked a law course to go to (which was quite expensive )
    As i have already said my academic side is quite good with straight As and A*s at GCSE (came in the top 10 of the country with 100% in one subject) i write for the school newspaper, gained awards, prefect...etc
    My AS subjects are Maths, History, English Lit, Religious Studies and Critical Thinking...dropping maths possibly.

i feel that when they read my PS it will be too academic (as in not balanced) and as if i do not have a life...

ReputationRep:
    ive already been to an event at a london university which gave a workshop on Law and i have booked a law course to go to (which was quite expensive )
    As i have already said my academic side is quite good with straight As and A*s at GCSE (came in the top 10 of the country with 100% in one subject) i write for the school newspaper, gained awards, prefect...etc
    My AS subjects are Maths, History, English Lit, Religious Studies and Critical Thinking...dropping maths possibly.

i feel that when they read my PS it will be too academic (as in not balanced) and as if i do not have a life...
    Well just write about sports you've done, musical instruments etc if you want to make it more balanced.

ReputationRep:

don't worry too much - i'm applying (hopefully) to do law at Cambridge this autumn too, and when i went to the Cambridge law conference they seem very interested in your own academic ability, with very little emphasis on extra-curricular activities
    try to get some work experience for later in the year if possible, do some reading around the subject if you can, and read the newspaper frequently - it seems to be more about the interest and enthusiasm for the subject as opposed to 'look what sports and music i can do' although obviously that does benefit, showing a balanced lifestyle - when i was writing my personal statement, my tutor told me that the majority of it should be about preparation and enthusiasm for law (conferences, workshops, work experience, recommended reading, mock trials, law society membership, debating competitions) and only the last paragraph should be your outside interests, and only then should they be mentioned if you can relate it to an interesting skill you've developed (volunteer work, working with children, musical activities, sports - usually leadership, teamwork and communication)
    why not try some of those things mentioned above if you want to pad it out? message me if you want to chat some more x

ReputationRep:
    what sort of general extra activites do you recommend?

(sorry with all these questions im just so confused :confused: )
    they like anything that gives you skills (such as teamwork, leadership) and show you have interests! so it could be playing for a sports team, playing music, d of e, helping out at a childrens sports club etc etc. i know for medicine they like you to show that you lead a balenced life and have extensive interests outside of acedemia, so law may be similar. make sure on your personal statement you say what you have learned/ what skills you have got from this, not just stating it!
    have a look on uni websites for entrance requirments and they may states some non acedemic ones.
    work expirince does not have to be with a law firm, any expirience you can get is very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Check the TSR section on other people's Law statements, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...tatement:Law_1 and see what everyone else did for theirs. One I looked at was smart- explained why they took Biology as there are ethical implications to genetic testing and they found that interesting which obviously relates to law.
    Start an instrument? If you can honestly say 'I'm working towards my Grade 3 in...' (not too specific, you don't need to be Grade 3 yet to be working for it :p:) then that might look balanced. I'd say sports but I don't think it's relevant really for PSs unless you can say you have awards in it but I don't really know.
    Anyway, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer for a bit in animal shelter or charity shop maybe? I inteeded on doing this for my PS. Never happened though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Volunteer for a bit in animal shelter or charity shop maybe? I inteeded on doing this for my PS. Never happened though.
    i have done some volunteering at my local primary school (we had to do this in our free periods on a friday as i am in a catholic sixth form they called it a 'community placement' to give something back to the community...) - i did it for 6 months but stopped just before my exams for obvious reasons...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.