The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Every time I try to be a gentleman and offer to help a girl I'm told "no thanks I'm perfectly capable". No wonder guys get away with being jerks these days.
simeon
My Dad works for Kent Police and a female co-worker made a complaint that he held the door open for her.

Due process meant that they had to convene a disciplinary meeting where a female Inspector ripped this woman to pieces for wasting everyones time. She was also made to write a letter of apology to my Dad for unnecessarily bringing his character into question.

I was brought up well in my opinion, and holding doors etc is nothing more than common courtesy.

No idea how she even had the gall to do that in my opinion, absoloubtley uncalled for and ridiculous.
no, just made him unsure and uncomfortable
yes. non-ignorant feminists will agree that its a good thing though.
Reply 44
When people talk about feminists killing chivalry, they take chivalry to mean 'pulling out a chair now and expecting a blowjob later'
Reply 45
Magnanimity
Personally I think casual sex ruined chivalry. A man no longer has to impress a woman in the same way to sleep with her. There is no 'courting' involved.

Mistresses and shotgun marriages also existed during the time of courting y'know.
Reply 46
you hold a door open for anyone regardless of gender... its rude not to.
as for chivalry e.g. a man holding the door open for a women and letting her go first.
i don't have probelm with that why would anyone? in fact i'd be grateful.

im so sick of hyper feminists getting so over sensitive about everything
imomo16
When have you actually seen that happen?
I hold doors for people regardless of their gender, it's called being polite, and has nothing to do with 'chivalry' or being a gentleman.

Well it happened to me, only once admittedly. There was a girl on the tube who was carrying a lot of stuff and seemed a bit knackered.It was crowded too. I offered her my seat.And she went on a rant asking me loudly if she looked disabled or old to me? I said no it was because she was carrying a lot of stuff and then she made out I didn't think she was strong enough because she was a woman. I just gave up arguing then, and to be honest I think people were more amazed at her than me. The one old person nearby didn't seem to like her comment and she probably single handedly offended more people than I did. A simple 'no thanks' would have sufficed surely?

And no she didn't look like one of the hairy armpitted skinheaded brigade either. But since when is it wrong to treat women a bit special and be a gent?
Reply 48
Ministerdonut
Well it happened to me, only once admittedly. There was a girl on the tube who was carrying a lot of stuff and seemed a bit knackered.It was crowded too. I offered her my seat.And she went on a rant asking me loudly if she looked disabled or old to me? I said no it was because she was carrying a lot of stuff and then she made out I didn't think she was strong enough because she was a woman. I just gave up arguing then, and to be honest I think people were more amazed at her than me. The one old person nearby didn't seem to like her comment and she probably single handedly offended more people than I did. A simple 'no thanks' would have sufficed surely?

And no she didn't look like one of the hairy armpitted skinheaded brigade either. But since when is it wrong to treat women a bit special and be a gent?

you shudve said she did look old and disabled and you wondered what she was doing without a carer.
that would have really pissed her off
I think it's damaged it, which is a shame really, but it's not been totally destroyed.
There's nothing wrong with being a gentleman, I really quite like it- as long as women are polite back, men can't do all the hard work, but I find it is particuarly sweet when a guy offers me his coat or opens a door for me, or offers to pay for something etc, and I don't think that being a gentleman has died off- because I know a great deal of them!
And chivarly doesnt mean charging into battle for your beloved, most of the 'code of chivarly' is just about being a one woman man, respecting your lover, etc. This should apply to everyone, not just men- give them a little break, we women need to do some work too!
Reply 51
littleshambles
Even if it did, so what?

Also people still use the word "gentlemen". "Chivalry" is about as relevant as knighthoods to modern society though.
I find it a great shame that it is no longer relevant or appropriate for a man to treat a woman with more respect than a man.

Yes. Feminism killed chivalry. I'd say, now, that women should be pleased to get any respect off men.
Reply 52
Actually, feminism is a great tool for men.

It gives us a way of determining which girls are good to go, and which girls should be rejected immediately. Feminists are perhaps the most annoying, most ridiculous and most unbearable type of people to be in a relationship with, and I wouldn't waste a single minute more with a girl had I just found out that she was one.

I'm all for women having equal rights, but the feminists of modern society take it much further than that.
v-zero
Any girl who is feminist can fly right by as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously; I'd put feminism in the same bracket as racism and fascism.

Why? Feminism seeks to achieve gender equality. What is wrong with this?
And was it you who negged me?! :mad:
Phugoid
Actually, feminism is a great tool for men.

It gives us a way of determining which girls are good to go, and which girls should be rejected immediately. Feminists are perhaps the most annoying, most ridiculous and most unbearable type of people to be in a relationship with, and I wouldn't waste a single minute more with a girl had I just found out that she was one.

I'm all for women having equal rights, but the feminists of modern society take it much further than that.

How? Do you see institutionalised discrimination against men in society? And was it you who negged me? :mad:
assmaster
I think men are more afraid to hold a door for girl, for fear she'll rant at them for thinking she's weak.

Actually, that's exactly why I do it. I can't wait for the day that some feminazi starts shouting at me.
assmaster
I think men are more afraid to hold a door for girl, for fear she'll rant at them for thinking she's weak. Same goes for giving up their seats on buses etc etc...

It's a shame. I don't want to push my own doors, I want an etiquettely-demanded slave!
I will give up my seat for someone who might need it and females in general, I've never had a woman rant at me for it. I open doors for other people whether they're male or female. I might also open a door to let a woman go through first so I can get a quick ogle!
Probably, but I don't think anyone seriously wants to go back to Jane Austen's time.
Perfect_Gent
I will give up my seat for someone who might need it and females in general, I've never had a woman rant at me for it. I open doors for other people whether they're male or female. I might also open a door to let a woman go through first so I can get a quick ogle!

What a perfect_gent you are.
Reply 59
Olivia_Lightbulb
Why? Feminism seeks to achieve gender equality. What is wrong with this?
And was it you who negged me?!

I am in support of feminism which seeks equality only, but many feminists seem to want the best of many worlds, and with so many different lines being drawn, it is becoming an irritating battlefield.

I didn't neg you, I have no reason to.

Latest

Trending

Trending