Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did Feminism kill off the 'Gentlemen' and chivarly? Watch

• View Poll Results: Did Feminism kill the 'Gentlemen' and chivarly?
    Yes, without a doubt
    62.50%
    No it did not
    37.50%

ReputationRep:
    "Chivalry" is the exact sort of benevolent sexism that perpetuates inequality amongst the genders. If you wouldn't do it for anyone, then don't do it just because she's a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you damn lesbos.

I have no problem with equality but I hate the radical feminists, or whatever they are called, who state women are better then men. Have you learnt nothing?

Also I don't think female athletes should be paid the same amount as men.

ReputationRep:
    Chivalry will never die whilst I live :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertPires)
    "Chivalry" is the exact sort of benevolent sexism that perpetuates inequality amongst the genders. If you wouldn't do it for anyone, then don't do it just because she's a woman.
    There are differences between the genders. It's not inequality, it's recognising those differences. Women like to be treated with respect and catered for. That is all a good gentleman does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    There are differences between the genders. It's not inequality, it's recognising those differences. Women like to be treated with respect and catered for. That is all a good gentleman does
    I like to be treated with respect and catered for. Why should the fact I have a penis change anything?

There are differences, however none of those differences make a woman less able to stand on a bus or open the door than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertPires)
    I like to be treated with respect and catered for. Why should the fact I have a penis change anything?

There are differences, however none of those differences make a woman less able to stand on a bus or open the door than me.
    Because you're a guy and probably don't want to be treated in a feminine manner?

That's true, but it's just general courtesy. Make a lady feel special by letting her go first and whatnot. Also walking home at night. Protect women from threatening people.

ReputationRep:
    Protect women from threatening people.
    This, relative to the situation, should be instinct. Something overzealous feminism will have a lot more trouble stamping out (or justify doing so).

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Have you not heard of the crisis of masculinity? The idea that feminism makes the roles of men in modern society uncertain. If I'm uncertain if someone will appreciate my actions or not, I'm less likely to act that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Even if it did, so what?

Also people still use the word "gentlemen". "Chivalry" is about as relevant as knighthoods to modern society though.
    it did. and you ask so what? you women destroyed something beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    No I dont agree. I will gladly give up my seat and open doors for a woman! Notice though I said woman - I would never do that for a whore for a whore is not a woman but a contradiction that defies the natural order of things!

ReputationRep:
    Because you're a guy and probably don't want to be treated in a feminine manner?

That's true, but it's just general courtesy. Make a lady feel special by letting her go first and whatnot. Also walking home at night. Protect women from threatening people.
    Well it depends what you define as a "feminine manner". If by that you mean that people will open doors for me, offer me their seat on the bus and pay for dinner when we go on a date then I do want to be treated in a "feminine manner".

I let women go first, but I also let men go first. I also walk my female friends to their bus stop / train station / home, but I do the same with my male friends. If either the male or female friend asks me not to then I won't. If I have the power to protect someone from imminent danger, whether they are male or female I'll do it.

What you have to understand is that all of these so called "chivalrous" things are deep rooted in the assumption that women are inferior. We open doors and offer women seats because they are weaker than us, we pay for meals because they couldn't possibly have their own money and we give them our jackets when it's cold because they are too delicate to withstand such harsh conditions. You may not think these things when you perform these actions, but that's why they started. I don't think you are sexist scum if you do them, I merely think you are a little misguided, however I would never criticise you for it, if doing those things makes you feel good, do them! However I'd argue you should offer the same to men.

ReputationRep:
    If a someone doesn't allow someone else to open a door for them, or doesn't show any thanks for it, the message received by 'opener' may be 'I am at best completely netural, given that I don't know or care who you are, or I find it patronising or insulting given that you yourself appear more in need of all kinds of help than me or I am at worst suspicious about your supposedly altruistic motives. I don't want or need anything from you- frankly I don't like the look you- and am a bit resentful that you have placed me in the position of needing to thank you to avoid looking like a completely ungrateful person'.

That is why automatic doors were really invented.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.