The Student Room Group

JSA before uni?

This may be a stupid question but, as I start uni in September, would it be possible for me to go on Jobseeker’s Allowance for the weeks before I start? I know it would probably take at least 3 weeks to get it all sorted out and for it to come through, so I wouldn't be on it for very long, but I'm guessing I wouldn't be eligible anyway :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Laura182
This may be a stupid question but, as I start uni in September, would it be possible for me to go on Jobseeker’s Allowance for the weeks before I start? I know it would probably take at least 3 weeks to get it all sorted out and for it to come through, so I wouldn't be on it for very long, but I'm guessing I wouldn't be eligible anyway :s-smilie:

I'm currently claiming JSA so yes you are entirely eligible.
Even if you were eligible, can't you just look for a job?
rockrunride
Even if you were eligible, can't you just look for a job?

Unfortunately, depending on where you live, it's not as easy as that.
Reply 4
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
I'm currently claiming JSA so yes you are entirely eligible.

This, I've only just got onto JSA though so I wouldn't be on it that long either but it'll suffice til I start Uni in September.
I was on JSA before coming to uni... I was lazy.
I did feel rather guilty about it though As i had no intentions of getting a job :frown:
Reply 6
It would be very difficult for me to get a job around here, especially as I don't have the use of my car for the timebeing and the public transport here is terrible. If I had the car I could probably get a job at KFC but I can't get there on the bus :frown:
Reply 7
Yea I think you can as soon a you are 18, I'm going to be able to claim for the 5 weeks prior apparently

EDIT: prior to uni that is
Reply 8
What about JSA for the peroid between end of AS and start of A2?
Masderchef

You won't be eighteen.

Spoiler

I'm 19.
Reply 11
Masderchef

And you'll still be in education - just like you can't claim JSA between academic years at Uni.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Unfortunately, depending on where you live, it's not as easy as that.

Yeah I initially said "get" but after realising the ignorance I changed it to "look".

JSA is for jobseekers. Are most people who get it during the college/uni interim period actively seeking jobs?
what about people who get EMA payments? Are they still eligible?
Isn't JSA only something crap like £40 a week anyway?
1 Economic Historian

£40 more than what i'd be making.
1 Economic Historian

I think it's about 50-60 if you have savings of 6k or less, and then it gradually goes down with increased savings up til about 15k savings, in which case they probably won't get anything.
I'm claiming JSA (grudgingly) and if there is anyway you can get on without it, do it. I'd avoid JSA at all costs if I could feasibly live without the money, but at the moment I can't.

The whole process of claiming it is completely soul destroying.
1 Economic Historian

It's £50.90 which is more than I earned in my last job. It's only crap depending on your situation while claiming it. It's good if you're still living at home with parents.
Reply 18
fabulous_darling
I'm claiming JSA (grudgingly) and if there is anyway you can get on without it, do it. I'd avoid JSA at all costs if I could feasibly live without the money, but at the moment I can't.

The whole process of claiming it is completely soul destroying.

Is it really that bad?
I've just completed the online application and it says they'll give me a call within two days which may last up to 40 minutes.
I know that once you're on it you have to go in to the jobcentre once a week and provide proof that you're looking for work. Don't know what else it involves though.
My friend joined up a few months ago (she was only on it for a month or so though) and said the process was fine. The staff at the centre she talked to were just relieved to have someone who was genuinely looking for work and not just turning up so they could keep getting the money.

...but then again if students are claiming it over the summer, I guess they won't fall into the staff's favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending