Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    Is it really that bad?
    I've just completed the online application and it says they'll give me a call within two days which may last up to 40 minutes.
    I know that once you're on it you have to go in to the jobcentre once a week and provide proof that you're looking for work. Don't know what else it involves though.
    Well, I went to the job centre for the first time to claim it a short while after I found out that I'd got a first in my degree. I was only a complete high. As soon as I started speaking to the woman sorting my claim, I came down like a brick. She said my first wasn't relevant, nor were my A Level grades and she wouldn't note them down on my profile. She then asked me if I was willing to work in a temporary post for minumum wage. I said no, but I later found that she put down on my profile that I would work in a temporary post for mininum wage, so now if I don't accept temporary minimum wage work if it's offered to me, my JSA will be terminated.

She then said that to claim JSA, I'd have to sign on at the job centre every other Monday morning. I said I physically couldn't do that because I'm graduating on Monday, then two weeks after that I'm away on holiday (a holiday that's been booked for months), but she said this was completely non negotiable- I have to go or just give up the claim. I couldn't believe it. I feel like I'm being penalised for getting a degree and going away for a celebratory break with my family!

I'm now in the process of trying to reorganise my sign on time and day, but no luck so far.

It's just rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_darling)
    Well, I went to the job centre for the first time to claim it a short while after I found out that I'd got a first in my degree. I was only a complete high. As soon as I started speaking to the woman sorting my claim, I came down like a brick. She said my first wasn't relevant, nor were my A Level grades and she wouldn't note them down on my profile. She then asked me if I was willing to work in a temporary post for minumum wage. I said no, but I later found that she put down on my profile that I would work in a temporary post for mininum wage, so now if I don't accept temporary minimum wage work if it's offered to me, my JSA will be terminated.

She then said that to claim JSA, I'd have to sign on at the job centre every Monday morning. I said I physically couldn't do that because I'm graduating on Monday, then two weeks after that I'm away on holiday (a holiday that's been booked for months), but she said this was completely non negotiable- I have to go or just give up the claim. I couldn't believe it. I feel like I'm being penalised for getting a degree and going away for a celebratory break with my family!

I'm now in the process of trying to reorganise my sign on time and day, but no luck so far.

It's just rubbish.
    Ahh I see, that's gotta really suck! :eek: Good luck with getting it sorted.

If I have to go through a similar amount of trouble to get it, it may indeed not be worth it. Will just have to see how it goes I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of signing up for JSA and was wondering if there are any disadvantages of getting it (when filling in applications forms for vacancies)?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to mention it on application forms.

I would advise caution when posting on a public forum about a potentially illegal act. You never know who might be reading. If you do not qualify for JSA then don't claim it. £64.30 is not worth breaking the law and suffering the consequences for.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for it at the jobcentre on Thursday. Would I not be entitled to get it if I mention that I am intending on starting uni in September? Should I keep quiet about that and pretend I am just looking to go into full time work?

Thanks everyone for your advice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.